Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Someone wants to know how the demon bear was the villian of the film.

Well it tried to kill all the students till Dani talked it down.

Also, it destroyed the other villian Dr. Reyes. It tore her to shreds and ate her!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Someone wants to know how the demon bear was the villian of the film.

Well it tried to kill all the students till Dani talked it down.

Also, it destroyed the other villian Dr. Reyes. It tore her to shreds and ate her!
    I think they missed a comma, and wanted to know how the villain was (i.e., how good was Demon Bear as a villain).

"The New Mutants" has been my favorite superhero team since 1988. I eagerly awaited this movie and I really enjoyed it. The only weak spot was Roberto. Illyana was my favorite and I loved how Lockheed became real. I can't wait to own this on blu-ray.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    Why can't we have good things? Rahne and Illyana are perfectly cast, Cannonball's physically perfect but DAMN they did CeCe wrong. Take one of the few black X-women, whitewash her and make her the bad guy? Jesus Christ, Josh.

New Mutants is a good example of the cultural changes since 2015-16 when this went into development and 2020. Get thee to a unconscious bias training session, Boone.*

*JK, those things make **** all difference.
    Was Reyes even a mutant in this? They should have just made the character Kavita Rao. Fox really loved to do the whole “in name only” thing with the X-Men characters.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox View Post
    Was Reyes even a mutant in this? They should have just made the character Kavita Rao. Fox really loved to do the whole “in name only” thing with the X-Men characters.
    Yes, she had her force field powers.

Hated it, plain and simple, hated it more than Phoenix and Apocalypse.

I you all liked/loved it, that's fine but i hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Hated it, plain and simple, hated it more than Phoenix and Apocalypse.

I you all liked/loved it, that's fine but i hated it.
    Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Didn't care for the Sinister connection given that it is pointless now,if it was before the buyout.

Not liking Magik in general or how they introduce Lockheed as HER partner.

Didn't understand why Cecilia Reyes is a villain, she may not be a major character in the comics but why make her a villain? Couldn't they make someone else, in fact wasn't there a something about a facility like this? Neverland or something it was called that Sinister had a hand in, why not use that?

Expected more with all this talk of Horror, but frankly was underwhelmed.

Don't get the move to have Dani and Rahne be lesbians when they are not in the comics (unless that was changed? I don't read much of their series but last i saw they were just good friends), i mean i know the director said it is the natural extension given they have a physic connection...how the hell does that work?

The biggest issue, it came years to late, they delayed it to long and they decide its a brilliant idea to release it when a goddamn pandemic is going on.

Again, if people enjoyed it, that's ok. I just couldn't care for it and tbh honest i rank it among Phoenix and Apocalypse as the worst X-men films.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt small and intimate, it wasn't too big or showy, but I liked that about it.

Might post a more thorough review when I see it again.

Extraordinary Member

Just saw it. For the first half-hour I thought it was really good. But it got worse as the movie went on. For an ensemble movie I thought they did a horrible job of balancing the characters. The focus was far too much on Dani. Sam and Roberto were basically afterthoughts. They spent so much time making Illyana a bitch that by the time they started trying to add a little depth to her it was too little too late and there wasn't enough movie left to do it. She also made no sense. If she can teleport how can she be kept a prisoner by force fields? If she can make an entire dimension with her mind how does she have any limits? It would have been much better and less confusing to just keep her comics origin alone. 'it's Magic.' 'So am I' was an awesome line in the comics, but it needs some context to work and the movie provided none. Dani has a similar problem in that she seems to have near-unlimited power.

Rahne is the only character I don't have any complaints about. The actors all did fine. Sam's actor occasionally went overboard with his accent, but otherwise he was fine. Anya Taylor Joy was clearly having the time of her life and Maisie Williams is just gold.

I really felt like there were key scenes just missing from the movie. Like this idea that they are friends at the end. Sure, Dani and Rahne are close and Roberto and Sam seem to be friendly enough, but no one else seems like they should be friends. There's no camaraderie. It seems like there are missing scenes of them actually bonding, with only one being when they drug Reyes to have a party.

The way they handled Magik was all wrong. There was no mystery and the sword and armor were overused. What was the point of having a long shot revealing the armor and sword if we've seen both several times. The one thing I liked about the way her character was handled was her relationship with Lockheed. And even then, just having him transform into a real dragon for a couple of shots at the end with no explanation was a big 'what the hell?' She doesn't even get much in the way of good 1-liners, just a lot of 'look at how mean I am' dialogue. This is the biggest letdown for me because the one thing I was hoping for was that even if the movie sucked, Magik would still be the breakout star, but now I really doubt that'll happen. They took away all the things that define her and make her special as a character and replaced them with useless meanness, and a couple of cool action shots at the end can't fix that. Someone who never read the comics won't know anything about her after seeing this movie. Total waste of perfect casting.

The action at the end was another aspect that started out good but got worse as it went on. Magik fighting the Demon Bear at the start was awesome, but as the others joined it in the fighting it just got worse. I couldn't tell what Sam was doing and there was no attempt at trying to fight as a team. And I hate the ending where Dani talks the bear down. Teamwork is overrated, I guess.

On top of that, the scary scenes weren't that scary.

What shocks me is that this was part of a planned trilogy where they had already decided where the second and third films would go. That suggested to me that they had things thought out, but upon watching the final product it's like they didn't think things through any more than Disney did with the Star Wars sequel trilogy.

I'm planning on making a rewrite of this soon with how I would have done it. Keeping the premise of them being trapped in a facility with their worst fears coming to life. But for starters I'd replace Reyes with Emma Frost and make the Demon Bear a real threat that's stalking them the whole movie and not just Dani's imagination. Illyana would be truer to her comics self.

I really wanted to love this movie, and at the thirty-minute mark I thought I might, but it just wasn't to be. If I had to guess where they went wrong, it was in focusing so much on Dani to the determent of the rest of the cast. Each character's prominence and importance in the story is directly tied to how they relate to Dani, so Rahne fares the best, Illyana is just Dani's foil and a bitch until the plot calls for them to be friends, and Sam and especially Roberto get left out because they don't relate to Dani's story at all.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 08-29-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Though I'm sure it's not going to make any sense at all, but I still want to ask.

How does this movie connects to rest of the FoX-Verse?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Though I'm sure it's not going to make any sense at all, but I still want to ask.

How does this movie connects to rest of the FoX-Verse?
    Dr. Reyes constantly talks about her 'superior' and how they'll go on to work with him when they're done with her. They all assume at first she means Prof. X. I don't think he's name-dropped if I'm remembering correctly, but Roberto makes the hand-to-temple gesture and they all get it and start talking about how they're training to be X-Men. Reyes plays into that by talking about how the current batch of mutant heroes started out like them, so the X-Men are pretty famous. Then it's revealed that Reyes works for the Essex corporation, so Mr. Sinister. Supposedly there was going to be a scene confirming Illyana and Colossus are siblings, but that was cut.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Dr. Reyes constantly talks about her 'superior' and how they'll go on to work with him when they're done with her. They all assume at first she means Prof. X. I don't think he's name-dropped if I'm remembering correctly, but Roberto makes the hand-to-temple gesture and they all get it and start talking about how they're training to be X-Men. Reyes plays into that by talking about how the current batch of mutant heroes started out like them, so the X-Men are pretty famous. Then it's revealed that Reyes works for the Essex corporation, so Mr. Sinister. Supposedly there was going to be a scene confirming Illyana and Colossus are siblings, but that was cut.
    So the third Sinister tease that never goes anywhere.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Generally, I enjoyed the movie a lot. It was better than all of the (non-Deadpool) X movies of the past 10 years, imo. That doesn't say a whole lot.

The good:
    1. Rahne. She seemed mentally stronger than she's usually been in the books. She still had her guilt, but she was less childlike and almost mentoring Dani. Had she been this self-assured in the books all of these years, maybe I would like her.
    2. Yana. ♥♥♥♥♥ YANA! So feisty and sassy! Yet still she had a fragility to her. I don't even mind that they gave her Lockheed. It was cool to see him too.
    3. The interaction between the kids, especially the interactions between Dani and Rahne and Yana and Dani.

The bad:
    1. Reyes. Instead of wasting her with this, they should have just used Sinister/Milbury.
    2. Dani. The actor just didn't seem to have the gravitas for the role. Plus, this Dani seemed to lack the self-assuredness that they gave Rahne.
    3. The Demon Bear. I wanted more from it, and it just kind of fell flat at the end. Dani just softly talks it into nothingness?! The heck is that?! I was hoping for more of a heated battle against a Fear Lord for many people's souls. The fight against Yana's faceless things was better than the bear.

Berto and Sam were kind of in the middle. They weren't great, but they were pretty good. I really felt for Berto during that swimming pool scene. Wanted more tho.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 08-30-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I've been anticipating this movie for what seems like a lifetime now and was quite excited to see it tonight at last. It wasn't exceptional but I thought it was quite solid. Very nice character work with the girls, with the boys unfortunately being little more than an afterthought, but overall thoroughly enjoyable.

The setup is actually quite clever, with the "hospital" being a sort of pre-screening facility to select young mutants for the Marauders/Weapon X/Essex Corp's supervillain team. It's quite unfortunate how the Essex Corp is a totally moot point at this stage, although given Fox's track record I have very little faith in them being able to shape it into a good payoff anyway.

But overall this is infinitely superior to both Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix, with a solid premise, very likable characters, and plenty of seeds planted for a future that will now never happen. It gets a good 7+ from me.