Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I agree with all this. I think one thing is they are afraid to have minorities say racist stuff back as banter. We could go into a long discussion about trash talk but I think you said it best about she said it to tear Dani down. Illyana's personality in the movie is clearly one trying to tear down anyone apart of this building that she hates. She is lashing out at everyone that she can. We can see her spray painting the building and doing all these things to break the norm. I find her comments and her actions fit her personality where she's doing anything to feel like she's the one in control, because internally she feels like she has no control. I thought she was the most interesting character because they never try to explain her character too much you're just supposed to understand it by seeing the events around her. I really liked that
    What was gained by making Illyana making racist statements? She could have torn Dani down without resorting to racist attacks, it's a very strange decision when this is the characters debut in Hollywood. Is Illyana a minority in the movie?

Extraordinary Member

Chapter 2 of my rewrite of the movie is up. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1369014...s-film-rewrite

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    What was gained by making Illyana making racist statements? She could have torn Dani down without resorting to racist attacks, it's a very strange decision when this is the characters debut in Hollywood. Is Illyana a minority in the movie?
    Much of the dialogue in the movie (particularly Roberto & Illyana dialogue) was clumsy, like it was some placeholder dialogue meant to convey the intent and left in place when they had to rush the shooting. Ditto for the none-too-subtle bumping in the shower.
    I get the idea of Illyana lashing out to everyone, but her so blatantly singling out the new girl was annoying.