Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does WW have her own 5th Dimensional Imp

Supes has Mister Mxyzptlk, and Bats has Bat-Mite, but i don’t recall ever reading of WW having a 5th Dimensional villain, or fan, stalker w. a crush etc. growing up. But I may just be forgetting.

Figured I’d ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Supes has Mister Mxyzptlk, and Bats has Bat-Mite, but i don’t recall ever reading of WW having a 5th Dimensional villain, or fan, stalker w. a crush etc. growing up. But I may just be forgetting.

Figured I’d ask.
    Wasn't Mr. Genie an imp from the 5th Dimension? Someone here suggested it should be Wonder Tot.

Mr. Who now?
    And isn’t Wonder Tot WW as a kid?

Aaaargh! I don’t need more questions, I need answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Mr. Who now?
    And isn’t Wonder Tot WW as a kid?

Aaaargh! I don’t need more questions, I need answers!
    Not really, at first she was Hippolyta's home movies or something but eventually Wonder Tot, Wonder Girl and Wonder Woman would all have adventures together (which lead to the Donna Troy mistake).

WW TOT.jpg

WW TOT Wonder_Woman_Vol_1_126.jpg

Mister Genie was Wonder Tot's friend.

This is from wonder woman's supporting characters page on wikipedia which is where I got the Mister Genie information.

WW MR GENIE WIKI.jpg
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 08-27-2020 at 07:30 PM.

She has ALL THE GODS.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Not really, at first she was Hippolyta's home movies or something but eventually Wonder Tot, Wonder Girl and Wonder Woman would all have adventures together (which lead to the Donna Troy mistake).

WW TOT.jpg

This is from wonder woman's supporting characters page on wikipedia which is where I got the Mister Genie information.

WW MR GENIE WIKI.jpg
    Thanks for all the info, Koriand'r. You really went above and beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    She has ALL THE GODS.
    Which is NOT WHAT I ASKED.

WW TOT.jpg

Well technically it is WW as a kid... those combined adventures were , as billed, Impossible Tales which involved some weird trick of technology to blend them all together-- in films

That being said, it would have been fun if Wonder Tot had actually been Diana's "Mr Myx" or " Bat Mite".... the Impossible Tales could have been her doing, magically bringing together the different ages of Diana into one tale. Maybe Mister Genie is her guardian, and comes looking for her, takingnher back to her dimension when she's caused too much trouble on Earth1

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Well technically it is WW as a kid... those combined adventures were , as billed, Impossible Tales which involved some weird trick of technology to blend them all together-- in films

That being said, it would have been fun if Wonder Tot had actually been Diana's "Mr Myx" or " Bat Mite".... the Impossible Tales could have been her doing, magically bringing together the different ages of Diana into one tale. Maybe Mister Genie is her guardian, and comes looking for her, takingnher back to her dimension when she's caused too much trouble on Earth1
    That would be pretty cool.
    Mr. Genie isn’t listed as a resident of the 5th Dimension, so I guess he’s “just” a Genie. It’s a shame WW never got her own Imp. She seems the type of character such an off the wall concept could easily be applied to!

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post

Carol Strickland (WW expert) said they were originally billed as "Impossible Tales" but that moniker was dropped over time causing a world of confusion and Teen Titans' editors to think Wonder Girl was a separate entity from Wonder Woman.

^^^That’s pretty interesting.
    I’ve learned a lot in this thread!

Carol Strickland (WW expert) said they were originally billed as "Impossible Tales" but that moniker was dropped over time causing a world of confusion and Teen Titans' editors to think Wonder Girl was a separate entity from Wonder Woman.
    And even in some Wonder Woman comics she seemed to be, wandering around while Diana was also there without the (truly bizarre) "splice-film time-ravel" gimmick they used for the Impossible Tales.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Retired

Being as Paradise Island was a magical place, I'd say that Impossibility was possible there and that allowed Diana to interact with herself at different ages.

Wonder Tot being so imp-like herself, it was a nifty idea to have her dealing with Mr. Genie who was decidedly not imp-like in appearance: id est Wonder Tot being an imp required that her familiar not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Being as Paradise Island was a magical place, I'd say that Impossibility was possible there and that allowed Diana to interact with herself at different ages.
    That was not the mechanism they evoked, though. They took the adage "A person can't be in two different places at the same time" as though it were holy writ. (Even though time travel should naturally cause one to question it.) The magic of Paradise Island did not, per se, allow them to skip over it. Then they had the Amazons invent a device that was like a movie projector, but for people. You would have Wonder Tot for a split-second, then Wonder Girl for a different split-second, then Wonder Woman for another different split-second (so that at no time was more than one of them present, so Diana was never in two places at the same time). Then they ran them sequentially, like frames of a film, creating the illusion (even for them) that they were all there at the same time.

Hippolyta, of course - as Wonder Queen - could just be added in, being the one that wasn't Diana from any time or age.

Of course, in today's comic-book time travel stories - and a lot of science fiction going back many years - people meet (and co-exist) with their younger and/or older selves all the time. In retrospect it's amazing to me that the writers created such an elaborate, specific, pseudo-scientific device (based on their understanding of moving pictures, and on the assumption that the reader had the same understanding) to implement these "Impossible Tales," rather than just say, "Wonder Tot travels to Wonder Woman's time using this time-travel gem." But it was the early Silver Age, a bizarre time, and frankly I'm kind of glad I got to see it.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Retired

In Superman comics, a person could not travel back in time and meet their younger self--time travelling within ones own lifetime meant that the time traveller always became a phantom--except in stories where they concocted some explanation for why that didn't happen. I thought this was a neat rule (it's used to great effect in SUPERMAN: THE SECRET YEARS) and I can see why that had to be so, given that a person could not change the timeline.

But that's a Mort Weisinger rule and he was very particular about making up rules for the Superman family and sticking to those rules. I didn't think Robert Kanigher, as an editor, was all that fussy about rules and he could easily change them when it suited his purpose. I know that the movie projector was the reason given to begin with, but since they didn't bother to explain it later on--and we either are left to think these stories didn't happen and are just fanciful exercises OR they did happen but without an explanation given--then I think "it's all magic" is the best way to deal with it.