Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Jack Graham wrote an article quite some time ago on the value of villains. His point was something like, since they stand against the norms of the story, sometimes thinking about them from a more critical point of view can illustrate injustices in what the story, or the writers, consider to be moral or just. For example, it doesn't take much examination of Magneto and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants illustrate the reality that frankly, an oppressed minority whose very existence is criminalized, are justified in using violence against a system that wants them dead or docile.

As far as DC characters go, I think the most interesting villain is, I don't know, probably Black Adam. Black Adam, in his contemporary form, basically illustrates the inherent vigilantism of super-heroes, the idea that they do things their own way and don't really answer to anyone - and that they kind of have to be that way, or else they'd just be super-police or soldiers, and subject to all the same systemic problems that plague militarized organizations. But at the same time of course, Black Adam is an unrepentant killer, which illustrates that being a remorseless killer is very much a possibility for someone like that, who "answers to no one, not even, I think, to God."
    Very well said. I think many of the best villains say something of value from a critical point within the story they're telling. That Black Adam description is on point- he's vigilantism taken to its fullest conclusion. I'd also argue that his rule in Khandaq offers interesting quesitons about soveriegnty, imperialism, democracy, and modernity.

I think similar breakdowns for other villains could be instructive.

Sinestro questions whether the Guardians should be trusted, and arguably fulfilled the mandate of the corps (which calls into question the notion of "order" and the purpose of the corps)

The Joker often questions whether or not good or evil is an arbitrary matter of circumstance.

Red Hood questions the rigid morality of the classic no-kill rule.

R'as Al Ghul, Poison Ivy, and others of the same type question whether superheroes are an impediment to social change.

Similarly, Lex Luthor questions whether superheroes stall humanity's development.

Zod questions whether one has a superior ethical obligation to one's own species, and how far one would go to satisfy it. (Same with Mr. Freeze and Family.)

Deathstroke questions the reader's ability to accept a murderous lack of empathy and fierce familial love coexisting

The Rogues ...are just badass

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie90 View Post
    I like the villains more than the heroes are there others fans like me or am i in the minority
    Always loved the cheesy B villains. Not so much the powerful A lister ones. See avatar.
    Last edited by Dreaded Porcupine; 08-29-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Unlike Marvel with Dr. Doom (the guy is just so utterly epic ), there is no DC villain I'm more of a fan of than their associated hero. That said, I love me some Lex Luthor, Circe, and Brainiac, oh, and Reverse Flash.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

I am beyond bored of Luthor and Brainiac, but like quite a few lesser villains.

Easily my favorite is Emerald Empress, a Legion villain. She's just over the top and campy Silver Age fun, a ranting megalomaniac who thinks she's a queen and has vaguely Green Lantern-like powers.

But I don't like any villains more than their associated heroes. (That said, groups like the Legion, Titans, etc. are big enough that there are certain heroes on the teams that I like *less* than some of their villains... Looking at you, Azrael and Quislet!)