View Poll Results: Will You Miss Fox Making Marvel Movies?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

20 24.39%
  • No.

62 75.61%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    BANNED

I wish to be able to vote a BILLION times that I will NOT miss Fox making marvel movies

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by A Small Talent For War View Post
    True, Marvel has an intentional style and they are intended to remain in the same stable, and they have been very successful at that. DC seems to have more opportunity to do many very different sorts of movies with their characters and settings, but they also tend to chase their past successes rather than looking to branch out.

Fantastic Four honestly doesn't feel like a movie that would fit too well in either the Fox style or the Marvel style.” Personally, I think it is a very wacky piece of material that would naturally be closer to Ghostbusters (or Venture Bros. and Archer) than the Avengers.
    .... Huh? What FF comics have you read? The FF 100% fit in the “Marvel style. And there really is no such thing as a “Marvel style.” Many Marvel movies are tonally very different from each other. Is the tone of the serious spy thriller The Winter Solider the same as the tone as a comedic John Hughes inspired coming-of-age tone of Spider-Man: Homecoming? Is the serious topical tone of Black Panther the same as the fantastical action comedy romp of Thor: Ragnarok?

And I can’t help but laugh at the claim that the FF is too wacky to be included in a cinematic universe where you have Guardians Of The Galaxy (which literally has a tree and a talking raccoon as one of the leads), lol. Furthermore, the FF isn’t as wacky as you seem to think; the original Stan and Jack comics can actually get tonally quite serious; look at stories such as “This Man, This Monster!” which deals with Ben’s anguish at being turned into a rock monster. Look no further than stories where Sue and Johnny’s father was framed for murder and tragically dies in the end, and also stories where the FF fought bigots like the Hatemonger(who’s obviously a KKK stand-in).

Heck, John Byrne’s FF run even has Sue have a miscarriage. And I definitely wouldn’t even use Ghostbusters as a model of comparison for what a possible FF movie should be. Something like the Incredibles is a more apt comparison(though there are significant differences between them), it is closer to the spirit of what a FF should be which is about the family/team dynamics with plenty of action and humor to spare. The family doesn’t always get along, but that doesn’t mean they don’t love each other.

And I have no idea why you would think R-rated adult comedies with dark humor like Venture Bros would be anywhere remotely close to what the FF’s tone should be(unless you think that show’s parody of them is an accurate reflection of them), but whatever. The ideal FF movie should tonally a mix between The first Avengers and the first GOTG film. If you combined the grandness and stakes of the first Avengers film with the warm, heartfelt, Sci-Fi wackiness of GOTG than you’d likely get a proper representation of the FF on film.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 08-31-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by A Small Talent For War View Post
    True, Marvel has an intentional style and they are intended to remain in the same stable, and they have been very successful at that. DC seems to have more opportunity to do many very different sorts of movies with their characters and settings, but they also tend to chase their past successes rather than looking to branch out.

Fantastic Four honestly doesn't feel like a movie that would fit too well in either the Fox style or the Marvel style. Personally, I think it is a very wacky piece of material that would naturally be closer to Ghostbusters (or Venture Bros. and Archer) than the Avengers.
    I can envision an MCU FF being somewhat of a Cross between Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. I definately can see them make it work.

While it's true that the MCU to some degree has a certain style, I think there's room to make very different kinds of movies within that framework. Winter Solder is a very different movie from Ant-Man, which in turn is a very different movie Black Panther. It certainly doesn't have the range that say DC does... but in the least it's enough to make a workable FF movie.

BANNED

Yes. Disney should not have been given the rights to the X-Men IP.

Between Marvel studios and Fox, Fox was the worst-good of the two but I now believe MCU needs to get their chance to prove many of us right.

Since the vast majority of them were pretty bad, I will not miss it at all.

I'm looking forward to the MCU introductions of X-Men and FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    .... Huh? What FF comics have you read? The FF 100% fit in the “Marvel style. And there really is no such thing as a “Marvel style.” Many Marvel movies are tonally very different from each other. Is the tone of the serious spy thriller The Winter Solider the same as the tone as a comedic John Hughes inspired coming-of-age tone of Spider-Man: Homecoming? Is the serious topical tone of Black Panther the same as the fantastical action comedy romp of Thor: Ragnarok?
    In my experience? Yeah, kind of. They never get too serious, they never go to long without quips, and the differences you talk about are all kind of add ons. There's the basic MCU style, and then you add on to it. But the style never goes away, it's just there's a secondary style on top of it. It is very noticeable and for some of us, samey.

I'm not knocking on the MCU, I enjoy it and watch all the films same as everyone else, but it feeling samey is a legitimate complaint. Maybe not for everyone, but there's enough of us that yeah, we see it. Which is why I kind of will miss the Fox stuff. For all the faults, it helped keep things not samey.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    In my experience? Yeah, kind of. They never get too serious, they never go to long without quips, and the differences you talk about are all kind of add ons. There's the basic MCU style, and then you add on to it. But the style never goes away, it's just there's a secondary style on top of it. It is very noticeable and for some of us, samey.

I'm not knocking on the MCU, I enjoy it and watch all the films same as everyone else, but it feeling samey is a legitimate complaint. Maybe not for everyone, but there's enough of us that yeah, we see it. Which is why I kind of will miss the Fox stuff. For all the faults, it helped keep things not samey.
    Well, to each their own, I'll give you that a lot of them do look pretty samey but I still don't subscribe to the notion that the movies feel that "samey" as what many have accused the franchise of being. Are there some overlaps in some elements? Sure but I don't it's that apparent, imo. To me, there's a world of difference between something like GOTG and Black Panther. In broad strokes, you can point some commonalities between those two movies but the difference between them is night and day. But regardless, the FF will fit right at home with the MCU. They’re arguably the property that most fits the MCU treatment than even Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 08-31-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Yes. Disney should not have been given the rights to the X-Men IP.

Between Marvel studios and Fox, Fox was the worst-good of the two but I now believe MCU needs to get their chance to prove many of us right.
    Disney was not “given” the rights. The former owners of 20th Century Fox sold the rights as part of the entire studio sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Well, to each their own, I'll give you that a lot of them do look pretty samey but I still don't subscribe to the notion that the movies feel that "samey" as what many have accused the franchise of being. Are there some overlaps in some elements? Sure but I don't it's that apparent, imo. To me, there's a world of difference between something like GOTG and Black Panther. In broad strokes, you can point some commonalities between those two movies but the difference between them is night and day. But regardless, the FF will fit right at home with the MCU. They’re arguably the property that most fits the MCU treatment than even Spider-Man.
    Oh agreed, the Fantastic Four might be the property that most fits the MCU style. Practically tailor made for it. But then I've never been that into the Fantastic Four.

X-Men though I feel is the property that least fits in the MCU, and after Spider-Man they're probably my favorite Marvel property, maybe tied with Iron Man, and just above Daredevil. And the MCU Spider-Man has been rather disappointing to me versus the Raimi films and Into the Spider-Verse. I can't even say they're an improvement over the Amazing Spider-Man movies.

Edit: Rambled at the end, but point is I'm skeptical on the MCU X-Men.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 08-31-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

I have to be honest, I will miss watching the train wrecks Fox made of the X-Men. There were quite a few stinkers and I couldn't believe executives allowed such garbage to be produced at such high budgets. Fromage!

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I have to be honest, I will miss watching the train wrecks Fox made of the X-Men. There were quite a few stinkers and I couldn't believe executives allowed such garbage to be produced at such high budgets. Fromage!
    Though I can't say I'll miss the train wreckes Fox put out, I will say it made me appreciate what marvel was able to pull off more.

Fox and Sony struggled to put out more than 2 critically/commercially sucessful movies in a row. Anytime they got something going, it inevitably hit a wall. MCU was able to pull if off for 2 dozen movies straight. Not that everyone was a classic... but none of them derailed the train the way X-Men 3 or Spider-Man 3 or Apocalyse did.

I'll be happy if they sit Wolverine out for a bit but we know that won't happen.

And please, make him short and ugly! I want a hairy mofo that will rip your arms off, not a beauty queen that is liable to break out in a dance number.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-31-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

True, I find them more like movies based on a television series that never existed. Like if we got the Star Trek movies, but the Star Trek series had never been made. They have the same mix of actions scenes, quiet "dramatic" moments, laugh lines and loud, overly spectacular finales fitting a strong consistent template. Like theme park rides.

Obviously, I much prefer the more comic entries that don't take themselves seriously like Thor: Ragnarok or Guardians of the Galaxy, and maybe Fantastic Four could fit in something like that. Still, I think the MCU needs to evolve a bit as Endgame probably reached the apex of what Marvel has been shooting for.

I read the FF from the early Lee/Kirby reprints but really got into them during Byrne's run. Even then, they didn't seem to fit in with everything else going on in the Marvel Universe at the time. They were far more pulpy from the Negative Zone to Atlantis to the MoleMan's subterranean kingdom. With the early runs, every comic felt like it was ripping off an episode of The Outer Limits or The Twilight Zone. I just think the childish imagination of the series would get hemmed in by the Marvel movies.

No, I will not.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Having just seen the New Mutants movie, I'm sorry again that the Fox series is ending. Seems like there was more gas in the tank after all, at least as far as stuff beyond the core X-Men installments.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)