Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The problem with Superman is you almost have to nerf him or come up with contrivances for why he can’t do things. You almost can’t have inside levels because there’s no reason why if there’s a threat he needs to get to he can’t just shoot through all the walls/ceilings or heat vision someone from a distance. You either need to nerf his speed or a massive map that’s near impossible to fill up like DBZ Kakarot so it can feel like that power matters but doesn’t break the game. Flight mechanics are another issue and you need to also combine that with super speed which means you pretty much lose the novelty of travel the way Batman and Spider-Man games make it fun. Or you set him on a planet with a red sun, or have him lose most powers only to get them back towards the end when most of the campaign is done, or you give the city a health bar. Basically a bunch of excuses for why Superman can’t be player like Superman. Even combat, you need ground and flight combat and it’s gotta almost be basic because there is no reason Supes should be in drag em out tactical fights unless he is facing bosses.

Look at Superman Returns’ game. It’s not a bad showcase of his powers.... but the second he flys or uses super speed you know you are in sandbox. It’s like playing a game with cheats on. By nature he is going to make everything feel smaller
    The problem is not coming up with a game that simply allows Superman to be Superman. That is what game designers do, that is what designing a game is. They can do it, they can do it easy.

The problem is it won't sell. People do not actually want to play as Superman. No guns, no swords, no blood, no grit.

Warlord (Skyrim inspired)
    I... Vampire (Castlevania inspired)
    Amethyst (Zelda inspired)
    Dragon & Tiger (Richard Dragon/Bronze Tiger; Double Dragon inspired)
    The Books of Magic (Myst inspired)
    Cave Carson and the Mystery of Roanoke (Tomb Raider inspired)
    The Sea Devils (Subnautica inspired)
    Jonni Thunder Investigates! (Nancy Drew inspired)
    Checkmate! (XCom inspired)
    Justice League Generations (Marvel Strike Force inspired)
    Hex (Mad Max version; Van Helsing & Diablo inspired)
    Night Force (Resident Evil inspired)
    Omega Men (Knights of the Old Republic inspired)
    Atlantis Chronicles (Arion in the past, Aquaman & Mera in the present; Assassins Creed inspired)
    Nathaniel Dusk (Vanishing of Ethan Carter inspired)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The problem is not coming up with a game that simply allows Superman to be Superman. That is what game designers do, that is what designing a game is. They can do it, they can do it easy.

The problem is it won't sell. People do not actually want to play as Superman. No guns, no swords, no blood, no grit.
    Multiple have tried and failed. It’s easy to say “that’s what they do”. Do you know how many games you play a character Witt a Superman like powerset that are good? None unless you could some games where all cheats on does it and at that point it’s a broken game. Level design matters and you can’t design levels for a character that should be able run/fly past everything. You do a sandbox and the sandbox becomes fundamentally small and the illusion is gone with super speed and flight.

It’s a tough code crack. Maybe someday you can make a massive world and also fill it so much that it feels authentic and have an extremely complex character move set and tailor the world to it.

Wonder Woman in a God of War type game with customizable weapons maybe add some free roam where you can show off some powers.

RPG with Constantine doing some magics.

I know it’s a sore spot, but Superman is an awful character for gameplay and there’s a reason all his games have been hot garbage
    I don't see any problem Superman powerset would bring to a game that would not apply to Wonder Woman. She is supposed to his equal in almost everything, Superman flies and so does she, she also got super strenght, super speed and so on.

yes she is supposed to be a better fight, use weapons and things that would make for more interesting fights, but they can make Superman fights cool, they just have to want it.

Extraordinary Member

Multiple have tried and failed. It’s easy to say “that’s what they do”. Do you know how many games you play a character Witt a Superman like powerset that are good? None unless you could some games where all cheats on does it and at that point it’s a broken game. Level design matters and you can’t design levels for a character that should be able run/fly past everything. You do a sandbox and the sandbox becomes fundamentally small and the illusion is gone with super speed and flight.
    Well, I liked the Superman game that was on the Xbox 360, was the Returns?

You seem intent on limiting yourself to what games are good or viable. That does not mean Superman cannot fit in a game, it just means you can't fit him in this constraint you have put on games. But, we don't need to convince each other. They could do anything from a Sonic type game, to Bayonetta, to Ninety Nine Nights (Dynasty Warriors/Hyrule Warriors) type games. While there is nothing wrong with a sandbox game, they could take it off Earth. Put him in outer space, on an alien planet, heck, do the cliched adventure on a dying Krypton. They can do it. Overpowered protagonist is not something that does not exist in video games.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I don't see any problem Superman powerset would bring to a game that would not apply to Wonder Woman. She is supposed to his equal in almost everything, Superman flies and so does she, she also got super strenght, super speed and so on.

yes she is supposed to be a better fight, use weapons and things that would make for more interesting fights, but they can make Superman fights cool, they just have to want it.
    I think you can take out flight (comic precedent) and make it set in a world where she is fighting Greek God type characters. Make it mite fast charges, deflection via bracelets, and lasso/sword moves. Super combat heavy and linear so it doesn’t feel like there is a need up max out like Superman. Can’t see that working too well for Superman, but for Wonder Woman you can tighten it and focus it enough so that she can have powers but is constantly on a contained linear path filled with mythological beasts

I think you can take out flight (comic precedent) and make it set in a world where she is fighting Greek God type characters. Make it mite fast charges, deflection via bracelets, and lasso/sword moves. Super combat heavy and linear so it doesn’t feel like there is a need up max out like Superman. Can’t see that working too well for Superman, but for Wonder Woman you can tighten it and focus it enough so that she can have powers but is constantly on a contained linear path filled with mythological beasts
    Well, they can just put Superman on the Phantom Zone, for example, and have him on a world inhabited by the worst creatures from the galaxy. just trade mythological beasts for evil aliens.

Both Superman and Wonder Woman would make a game feel "small" if using their full powers, but I would be more than willing to forgive depowering if that would give a good Superman game.

Vixen (Mari Jiwe McCabe). The amount of animal abilities she would have in an open-world game would be extraordinary, especially when she could use combo abilities by combining animal powers.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Agreed with basically all of the responses thus far, as superheroes lend themselves to the kind of action video games indulge in. The type of game merely has to be tailored to the character's abilities.

I saw Green Arrow mentioned-I think Year One would be a strong environment, a mix of stealth, survival, and combat in various jungle & building settings. A part 2 in Star City would be great also.

One hero I didn't see mentioned with the Atom. I think it could be incredibly fun and novel to have rich large-scale environments that you can manipulate easily from such a small size. Not to mention being able to explore subatomic worlds and find fun easter eggs in drawers, garbage cans, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The Question would make a good detective game with some light stealth/combat options.
    This is a cool one, I think Question can shine in a way the Arkham games didn't with respect to snooping and infiltrating different types of conventional buildings. Breaking into Lexcorp, the GCPD, ARGUS buildings, suburban houses, hotel rooms, donning different disguises, eavesedropping conversations, spying through skyscraper windows. Could be really fun.

I would love so much to see a JSA game

Static

Wonder Woman

Cassandra Cain

Shadowpact

Etrigan

Titans

Extraordinary Member

Easiest Superman game to make would be a Choose Your Own Adventure Game, TellTale style; have Lois and Carl investigating something Superman eventually has to deal with, and let the audience choose what type of Clark/Superman they are, and how his relationship with Lois works, with your goal being to limit collateral damage in the action scenes.

I’d say a more traditional game can definitely work, as well. The only mechanic I’m not sure about is flight; I’d say the OTT nature of Superman’s powers can easily be replicated in some form, given how many OTT games there already are.

I would say you’d have to bring out the OTT villains and weapons too, and treat them as genuine threats, though. No “I just want the power fantasy where very little seriously gives him trouble” BS that sometimes sneaks into his stuff. I love Morrison’s stuff, but I don’t think I’d want to go that direction fully, unless it was a gameplay mechanic - have a “World of cardboard” moment against particular enemies, as it were.

Break out Metallo, Parasite, Monghul, Maxima, Intergang, the forces of Apokilips, and Phantom Zone escapees as the physical villains, and use Prankster, Toyman, other Intergang criminals, and Lex Luthor’s schemes for quieter, more mysterious subplots and side games, and either use Lex’s schemes coming to fruition as the final boss or save him for the last game.

Maybe you could use a “power drain-energy reservoir” mechanic to keep it challenging - Superman uses a certain amount of solar energy for certain attacks, and he can drain himself down to just badass as opposed to “Holy $#!+!” badass if the player uses the power reservoirs incorrectly.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

All-New Member

I would love to see either a Flash game, or a Teen Titans rpg. That, or you could also make a Titans game that was multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah if Superman won’t work then they should try Superboy, a younger slightly weaker version with room to grow.

I also argue for a Wally West game, have him grow into Flash post the death of Barry Allen.

Or Cyborg just for the rpg upgrades.

Yeah he could be weaker and hqve to use his TTK to win ,and in interesting ways.as a powerup they could give him his old school super specs.

Mighty Member

Good choices would be:

-BART ALLEN, like Sonic-a really funny game...

-NEW52 Superboy: in the Game-Series "Legacy of Kain" Kain possesed Telekinesis and it was cool to use it in a game