Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What would you have done with Bucky?

It's been eight years since Brubaker concluded his run on Winter Soldier. Since then, I don't feel like Marvel has really found a place or role for Bucky in the Marvel universe. He's been a number of things and none of them have stuck. While I think this current idea of a guy who goes out there and rescues people from their old lives is interesting, I don't think that type of role is multifaceted enough for prominent Marvel stories. I do think it is a very strict M.O. compared to most other characters and will probably fall away like Bucky's other roles.

So let's take it all the way back to Winter Soldier #14. It's 2012, Brubaker just left, and you get to decide what happens to Bucky. What do you do besides make sure he has short hair from here on out?

I guess Widow's got the "heroic super spy" job so focusing on wetwork espionage might not be viable in the long run.

With how Winter Soldier #14 ended, continue exploring Bucky's loss and where he stands in the 616 MU.

And also during his recovery, have him do some odd-jobs for OG Nick Fury & S.H.I.E.L.D.
    (might as well get your money's worth out of OG Nick, since he'll be going into limbo for the foreseeable future).

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-13-2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added clarification.

I think he's fine as Steve's and Sam's bud and in the Avengers' orbit. Give MotW to someone with no friends.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

They have tried him in a lot of places, Avengers, Thunderbolts, Invaders, Strikeforce, working with BW and Daisy at times. I have to give them credit for not dropping the ball with him.

I would make him less focused on the gun. He has a robot arm lets go with that and let him work in the light.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Supporting character either in Captain America or Black Widow.

Astonishing Member

I mean, he was an assassin for the Russian government for decades. If a half decent writer can't spin an enjoyable series out of that, he isn't worth the pennies that Marvel pays him. You can go with the cleaning up his old messes or his old agency's out to get him route (although I realize they did that with Brubaker's series), to old enemies from different agency's direction (like Hydra and AIM, for example), to, yes, doing odd jobs for Nick Fury as well. Sure we have Black Widow who already has herself set up in the little spy corner of the Marvel U, but considering the gajillion other superhero books whose theme resembles at least a dozen more, I don't see why there can't be room for two.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'd see how people respond to the TV series.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, he was an assassin for the Russian government for decades. If a half decent writer can't spin an enjoyable series out of that, he isn't worth the pennies that Marvel pays him. You can go with the cleaning up his old messes or his old agency's out to get him route (although I realize they did that with Brubaker's series), to old enemies from different agency's direction (like Hydra and AIM, for example), to, yes, doing odd jobs for Nick Fury as well. Sure we have Black Widow who already has herself set up in the little spy corner of the Marvel U, but considering the gajillion other superhero books whose theme resembles at least a dozen more, I don't see why there can't be room for two.
    Exactly this. I’ve always thought the same...The stories are right there ready and waiting, it seems a big waste that no ones yet jumped on it.

Mighty Member

I say Bucky should have stayed dead.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    This. A super soldier with a bionic arm sounds like Deathlok. Or an obvious attempt to upstage Misty Knight.

Plus, Buckeye's "death" meant something to Steve, and by extension, to me as a reader. I feel cheated.

I also feel that putting Buckeye in anything other than a G.I. Joe sequel feels awkward and forced. They'll keep trying to make a spot for him because he pleases a demographic. Maybe they should have him run for President?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I wouldn't mind seeing him team up with newer/younger heroes more often. Back in that One-Shot when he teamed up with the Young Avengers was entertaining. The original teen sidekick now an old dog, imparting a nugget of wisdom or two.

Or you know, just make him the acting director of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 07-14-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    This. A super soldier with a bionic arm sounds like Deathlok. Or an obvious attempt to upstage Misty Knight.

Plus, Buckeye's "death" meant something to Steve, and by extension, to me as a reader. I feel cheated.

I also feel that putting Buckeye in anything other than a G.I. Joe sequel feels awkward and forced. They'll keep trying to make a spot for him because he pleases a demographic. Maybe they should have him run for President?
    I get your point, and I'm of two minds about it myself. However, aside from TWS being a really good story arc, Marvel had pretty well mined Cap's grief over Bucky flat.

Returning to the OP, Buck strikes me as good material for a world-traveling bounty hunter/solider of fortune. Something with the flavor of Goodwin and Simonson's Manhunter that ran in Detective Comics in the early 1970s.

Steve being sad about Bucky being dead was mined for everything it was worth, which was not much. Nothing was lost when that stopped.

Also Deathlok is hideous, unpopular, and there are like 5 of them.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Incredible Member

First things first - Bring Brubaker back.

Think taking over Original Nick Fury's role would be a good way to go. The SHIELD/ Espionage angle NOT that "man on the wall" bs.

Maybe even leading the Secret Warriors/ working with (other) Caterpillars.

It's actually quite annoying cos he is a favourite of mine and just seems to never catch a break.

That said I did like Tales of Suspense and the current one with Falcon. The "buddy-cop" routine is actually quite enjoyable.

Oh... also cut his hair and go back to using the flesh covered arm when out of costume.