Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is incredibly sad... I knew he had been looking unwell for a while but I had no idea it was cancer. All sympathy to his family.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-31-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Man 2020 just continue to not let up.

I find it amazing that he was of this back-to-back filiming these past four years while he was still battling with cancer. He had such a big impact on my community that this is really crushing. Prayers goes out to his family and loved ones.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    That is sad the world lost a good actor and role model. One thing that is nagging at me, after seeing my dad suffer through and pass from throat cancer. Boseman was not public with his cancer which is hard to do when in public eye and actually is alot of work to hide that much pain, and it makes me wonder why. My guess is that if he had been he would have lost roles because of it, and he was afraid of this. One role in particular comes to mind, and thats Black Panther. Do we honestly believe he would have gotten the role with the way the MCU thinks of sequeals if he had made that knowledge public? And that bothers me. A persons illness shouldnt limit the things they can do while here on the Earth. It is like age discrimination imo. And its sad that he had to hide his pain and illness.
    He had the cancer for four years, which means he was diagnosed in 2016. But he was in Captain America Civil War, which was released that year. Therefore, I believe he was cast before he knew he was ill. And actually, aren't medical checks needed? There's no way Marvel didn't know.

I think it would be disrespectful to recast him, and therefore Black Panther 2 shouldn't happen. While, yes, they could just give the mantle to Shuri, talking to the dead is a factor in the movie, so killing T'Challa off wouldn't actually be enough to explain his absence.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I didn't see this coming at all.
    Rest in peace Mr Boseman and wish to his family.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

So heartbreaking. The lives we've lost this year seems so surreal. Rest in peace.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He had the cancer for four years, which means he was diagnosed in 2016. But he was in Captain America Civil War, which was released that year.
    You do know that production happens well before release right, not to mention post-production which is longer than the movie. Boseman shot CIVIL WAR in 2015 for the most part. So by the time he was diagnosed, he had already shot his scenes for that movie.

And actually, aren't medical checks needed? There's no way Marvel didn't know.
    Stuff like medical checks and other stuff are Union issues tied to SAG-AFTRA, so it's not a given that Marvel/Disney can force mandatory health checks on cast. It only because of insurance purposes this becomes an issue (like when RDJ was cast for IM-1, his previous history with drugs and convictions made him a risk because insurance wasn't easy to come). But Boseman on account of being a lesser known actor, and also being obscure and never having a previous history, could solve most of the insurance issues.

I think it would be disrespectful to recast him, and therefore Black Panther 2 shouldn't happen. While, yes, they could just give the mantle to Shuri, talking to the dead is a factor in the movie, so killing T'Challa off wouldn't actually be enough to explain his absence.
    That problem is going to be a long way away now to talk about in any situation. Because of the Pandemic, MCU is shut down and they have a backlog of stuff to release in movies and in Disney Plus before they can tackle anything else. So in either case it's not something to worry about or grow concerned about any time soon. Black Panther 2 is the least of anyone's concern right now. I think at minimum it will be five to six years before they make another Black Panther movie, and when it comes back they will have recast the part and continued as before.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Willing to risk getting banned for saying this: **** this entire year.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Willing to risk getting banned for saying this: **** this entire year.
    Agreed. It’s like they say, when it rains, it pours. The world lost a true talent especially with the knowledge that he was doing all he did even while fighting this for the past 4 years. RIP you Wakandan King. You are truly worthy of the Black Panther mantle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    Homeboy, all while (quietly) having late-stage cancer, filmed multiple movie roles, visited children in hospitals and cancer facilities, did numerous interviews, got SWOLE enough to play a superhero (while I can't even muster the fortitude to gain a build beyond that of a rake or twig), among many other things, in between chemotherapy and surgeries.

Think about that for a second.

I'm awestruck, really. Straight badass sh**...
    I don't know if we should be glorifying this so much. Yeah it's commendable, but there could be the possibility that this level of overwork might have taken away time for him to convalesce.

His final years was the period when he was breaking out as a movie star after spending so much of his life (he was 40-41 when he got cast as T'Challa) struggling in obscurity. Maybe he felt he had to do his best for his career now that the spotlight shone on him, to provide for his family to be part of something important. All the while he would have been hoping to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    You do know that production happens well before release right, not to mention post-production which is longer than the movie. Boseman shot CIVIL WAR in 2015 for the most part. So by the time he was diagnosed, he had already shot his scenes for that movie.
    That was the point - he was diagnosed AFTER he was cast. Read my entire post. I continued by saying "Therefore, I believe he was cast before he knew he was ill." You skipped that part when you quoted me. Dragon was suggesting that he wouldn't have been cast as Black Panther had he revealed he had cancer - but he already had been cast before he was diagnosed.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-29-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That was the point - he was diagnosed AFTER he was cast. Read my entire post. I continued by saying "Therefore, I believe he was cast before he knew he was ill." You skipped that part when you quoted me. Dragon was suggesting that he wouldn't have been cast as Black Panther had he revealed he had cancer - but he already had been cast before he was diagnosed.
    Oh. I get it now.

Boseman shot CIVIL WAR before diagnosis. But Black Panther, IW, Endgame was all shot Post-Diagnosis.

Mighty Member

Wow... I’m at a loss for words. My condolences for him and his family. I learned about it when my nephew was talking about his age (he’s the same age as his mother/my sister). The man did so much for our community.

Incredible Member

The dignity and the stoicism that he displayed while battling cancer was amazing. The representation for the community was so important especially for little black and brown children. He was a true inspiration.

Peace King.

This is so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Stuff like medical checks and other stuff are Union issues tied to SAG-AFTRA, so it's not a given that Marvel/Disney can force mandatory health checks on cast. It only because of insurance purposes this becomes an issue (like when RDJ was cast for IM-1, his previous history with drugs and convictions made him a risk because insurance wasn't easy to come). But Boseman on account of being a lesser known actor, and also being obscure and never having a previous history, could solve most of the insurance issues.
    The only way colon cancer would be detected before it spreads is through a colonoscopy which wouldn't be a standard check done for an actor his age. It can actually be difficult to get a colonoscopy at that age unless you press to get one.

My grandfather died at age 49 after colon cancer spread. It wasn't detected until it was at such a late stage that it was untreatable.

FYI, the American Cancer Society now recommends everyone even with average risk get a colonoscopy at age 45.

Also: Chadwick Boseman Death Prompts Plea From Colorectal Cancer Alliance
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 08-29-2020 at 12:02 PM.