Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Default Did you personally know anyone who died of cancer?

Chadwick Boseman had been fighting colon cancer for four years. It must have been a painful fight for him. He was only 43 years old.

Did you have any family or friends who died of cancer?

I have a few relatives who died of cancer, but all of them were over 60 years old when they had cancer. One uncle, aged 61 years, was the youngest of them to die of cancer.

Mighty Member

Grandma. Just another reminder that being carbon-based sucks ass.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My mother, a lifelong smoker died from lung cancer in 1993 at 58.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

My maternal grandfather died of lung cancer after decades of smoking.

A close friend died of leukemia this February, another one a year and a half earlier of stomach cancer.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Ultimate Member

A co-worker of mine passed away just last month.

My maternal grandmother, great aunt, aunt, and uncle.

On my paternal side, my grandfather.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Two Aunts and Great Aunt in my family. My one Aunt was not even 50 when she died of pancreatic cancer. A friend of mine died at 47 of breast cancer just last year, and another friend died of cancer at 45 about 5 years ago.

Ultimate Member

Uncle this year.

Aunt I didn't know had it back in the 80s.

Another aunt in the 80s.

A co-worker's daughter just died from it after being on hospice for 5 years.

My paster had it and we lost him in December. He did a farewell voice mail that all the church got to hear. That was painful.

Boisterously Confused

My mother. Never smoked such much as a bbq rib. Breast cancer they treated with mastectomy and chemo, but it got into her glands.

My mother, a lifetime smoker, died in 2005 from lung cancer.

My brother had non Hodgkins lymphoma at age 36 but did not die from it; he did die at age 55, from alcoholism.

So yep, I get my colonoscopies when I am scheduled, I do my annual check ups, I get a yearly skin check for melanoma, etc.

Cancer scares the hell out of me.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Paternal grandmother from lung cancer when I was 4. I only have two memories of this grandmother, and neither one is good. One is her and me shopping in a mall, and her forcing me to wear these horrible painful shoes for several hours in New Orleans summer heat. The other memory is her funeral. I feel cheated because she was not a mean person. Screw you, cancer!

A few cousins of my mother's generation-- lung, liver, and pancreatic. Their deaths didn't have nearly the impact, but still sad.

And oh yes, Screw you, cancer!
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I've known several people who died of cancer: my maternal grandfather, my maternal grandmother, two close family friends (and a third the family knew just before I was born), and one of my favorite teachers.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    Chadwick Boseman had been fighting colon cancer for four years. It must have been a painful fight for him. He was only 43 years old.

Did you have any family or friends who died of cancer?

I have a few relatives who died of cancer, but all of them were over 60 years old when they had cancer. One uncle, aged 61 years, was the youngest of them to die of cancer.
    One of my grandfathers.
    Power with Girl is better.

My sister-in-law who shared a home, lived with us, with my husband and myself. Died in 2015, age 65. Battled it for nearly 5 years.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My brother. Last year. He was only 33. It was only a month after his birthday. Melanoma of the eye. It was so quick. He was diagnosed in 2014. Had it removed in 2015. In 2018 he went in for one of his regular scans and they found an eight inch mass on his liver. By April of last year, he was gone. We never had a funeral. My mother is so weak. She wouldn't be able to handle it. I'm still angry to this day. He was a brilliant man. The smartest member of our family. He even invented something. And now he'll never get to see the fruits of his labors. We think he got it back in high school when he drank tainted water from the fountains. Other members of his class had various cancers since then. His best friend died a year before he did. This timeline still doesn't feel real largely due to his death.
    Assassinate Putin!