Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Last post in this thread is from a year ago. I'm surprised how little hype this movie is getting in the cbr community. In my film geek circles this is easily the most anticipated movie of the year.

In a week it'll get released in some international markets. In regards of the box office I see the next Blade Runner 2049-like disappointment coming. Let's hope Warner will still greenlight the sequel as they should know a possible box office bomb will be on them and their decision to do a day and date release. Would be so disappointing if this remained unfinished.
    It's a month a way until it comes out and nothing new has been released to talk about so a lag is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's a month a way until it comes out and nothing new has been released to talk about so a lag is to be expected.
    Well, the director said Chani will be the protagonist for the second and (hopefully) third movies.

Which makes sense because the second movie will be the Prophet section of the first book and the (planned) third movie sounds like Messiah.

And she was pretty central to those plots.

And it takes us away from the "Chosen One" trope a bit by giving it a different perspective.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well, the director said Chani will be the protagonist for the second and (hopefully) third movies.

Which makes sense because the second movie will be the Prophet section of the first book and the (planned) third movie sounds like Messiah.

And it takes us away from the "Chosen One" trope a bit by giving it a different perspective.
    That could be a pretty interesting way to tell that part of the story.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That could be a pretty interesting way to tell that part of the story.
    https://gadgets.ndtv.com/entertainme...ctober-2512247

I thought so, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

I'm feeling a bit out of the loop... how was Chani central to the last half of first Dune novel? yeah, she was important... but not more important than Lady Jessica, Stilgar, Thufir Hawat, or Feyd-Rautha.

I dunno, maybe they're going to turn Alia into Paul and Chani's daughter instead?

Does this even have a trailer yet? Cause I've yet to see one this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I'm feeling a bit out of the loop... how was Chani central to the last half of first Dune novel? yeah, she was important... but not more important than Lady Jessica, Stilgar, Thufir Hawat, or Feyd-Rautha.

I dunno, maybe they're going to turn Alia into Paul and Chani's daughter instead?
    She isn't at all central in the book no. Thufir isn't very important neither in the second part of the book. (he's barely in it actually)

Chani is important for Paul cause of what she is, a fremen. Making him truly one of them, beside the whole messiah thingie but central? Nah.

Harah was already making him one of them though i guess lol you could say.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 09-11-2021 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

You should quash those expectations. The director later said:
    "I mumbled about something about the character of Chani that suggested that the second film would be focused on her. She remains one of the main characters and the role is important, but ‘Dune’ nevertheless remains the story of Paul Atreides first and foremost.

Having said that, Zendaya is an incredible actress who inspires me deeply. She really is a movie beast. Its role has also grown in the first part. I put this misunderstanding on my own. This is a case of ‘lost in translation’.”
    It would have called for major changes in the story for Chani to be THE protagonist. That said, I'm sure they've beefed up the part, it would make sense to go into the character more in depth than I remember the book doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Does this even have a trailer yet? Cause I've yet to see one this year.
    Yeah, came out a few weeks back.

While I'm really looking forward to this movie, I hate that they are banking on sequels that haven't been greenlit yet. Especially now, when the theater market is still highly volatile. I'm just worried that this will end up like the film version of The Golden Compass- setting up a sequel that will never come.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    You should quash those expectations. The director later said:

It would have called for major changes in the story for Chani to be THE protagonist. That said, I'm sure they've beefed up the part, it would make sense to go into the character more in depth than I remember the book doing.
    Well boo.

But beefing up her part is still nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Yeah, came out a few weeks back.
    Is it not in this thread? I think I checked and most posts were recent and then the ones before that were a year ago.

Mighty Member

I'm fine with them fleshing out Chani's part and giving her more screen time... but, rewriting the entire second half of the novel to make her the primary character? that wouldn't be nearly as cool IMO.

it would be about as weird as having "Batman Begins" show Bruce Wayne as the main character and then have Jim Gordon be the main character in "the Dark Knight". yeah, you COULD do it. but it wouldn't be the most logical thing in terms of story-telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I'm fine with them fleshing out Chani's part and giving her more screen time... but, rewriting the entire second half of the novel to make her the primary character? that wouldn't be nearly as cool IMO.

it would be about as weird as having "Batman Begins" show Bruce Wayne as the main character and then have Jim Gordon be the main character in "the Dark Knight". yeah, you COULD do it. but it wouldn't be the most logical thing in terms of story-telling.
    ...wasn't Joker the main character of The Dark Knight?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    ...wasn't Joker the main character of The Dark Knight?

Haha, Joker is the main character of every Batman movie he's in, isn't he?