Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Denis Villeneuve's DUNE

If there is a thread for it please merge, I couldn't find it.

Combined^
    We get House Atreides on the left, Fremen (joined by Duncan) on right, is there one more for House Harkonnen yet to come?
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-29-2020 at 09:52 AM.

One more -

[

Bless Villeneuve ..... Bless the coming and going of Him. May His passage cleanse the world
    .....these look fantastic!
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-29-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Slillsuits look good at least.

Have to laugh at the "Spaceships! Spice! Sandworms!" line though. I don't know, Dune is easy to mess up. I never thought it to be "impossible to adapt" as some people sure love to claim but the ones in charge have to understand the beast.

We will see...

I'm not a huge Dune fan. I like it in theory, but I've never been able to get through the book. It's often a slog.

Changes will have to be made. I think Denny is about as good as you're going to get for getting that balance right.

May be a detail but i'm glad that Paul looks so young. That's how he's supposed to be, at the start of the book he's like what? 14? And 16 by the end of it?

The whole house Atreides looks pretty good i must say, Paul, Jessica, Leto and Gurney on the left i dare to imagine? (i see a scar)

I don't think there was ever any doubt that Villeneuve wouldn't nail this aesthetically.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I don't think there was ever any doubt that Villeneuve wouldn't nail this aesthetically.
    Well, it isn't the most difficult setting to get right but yeah, the man has talent for that.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Slillsuits look good at least.

Have to laugh at the "Spaceships! Spice! Sandworms!" line though. I don't know, Dune is easy to mess up. I never thought it to be "impossible to adapt" as some people sure love to claim but the ones in charge have to understand the beast.

We will see...
    After Lord of the Rings a novel on the scale of Dune became possible. Earlier attempts ended in disaster. Here's to the movie making its budget back. I want sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    After Lord of the Rings a novel on the scale of Dune became possible. Earlier attempts ended in disaster. Here's to the movie making its budget back. I want sequels.
    Dune's messiah is pretty easy to adapt i think, as is children of Dune. I quite like the scifi's mini series of that by the way, with McAvoy playing Leto 2. And they managed to explain the golden path in a suprisingly clear manner, gratz to them lol.

After those two, man, we're entering Emperor of Dune territory and that, well, is not the type Hollywood likes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Dune's messiah is pretty easy to adapt i think, as is children of Dune. I quite like the scifi's mini series of that by the way, with McAvoy playing Leto 2. And they managed to explain the golden path in a suprisingly clear manner, gratz to them lol.

After those two, man, we're entering Emperor of Dune territory and that, well, is not the type Hollywood likes lol.
    Agree the Sci-fi mini series made the books pretty accessible, and don't get enough credit.
    If you just embrace the (by comparison) low budget fx as part of the visual of that universe, see it more as a "stage play" as some have described it, and get past some of the garbled heavy accents in the cast (use closed captioning if you must). It really is quite good. And the story and character which is what maters, really come through.
    And agree it gets even better as they get into Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.
    Which first introduced (me at least) to James McAvoy, who made a great Leto II.

Also the music was terrific... , Inama Nushif = "She is Eternal", and the "Time to settle accounts , Cleansing of the House" montage was sensational.

It won't hold up to this upcoming film, still more people should give it a shot.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-29-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Far from what Jodorowsky envisioned. Almost too toned down but great looks all around.

I'm hoping Dune becomes a huge success, and Villeneuve's one guy who can do it......Both because Dune has a lot of potential if done right, and also because I hope it gets Villeneuve more notoriety so he can do another Blade Runner sequel.

I do question whether any film can truly succeed during this pandemic, though.

TRAILER:

BANNED

I was never a big fan of Dune the book. I thought Lynch's DUNE had some interesting bits. This one looks pretty mainstream and drawn out.

My thoughts while watching this trailer.

"This looks epic, too bad Chalamet and Zendaya are in the lead roles"

I mean getting those two to be in this with so many actors available to you in Hollywood is akin to walking into a candy store and coming out with two Payday candy bars.

EDIT: For those of you who don't know Payday bars are something you will eat if you have to. No one has ever asked for a Payday bar.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-09-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest