Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think they are expanding his role in this movie - partly for it being a two parter, partly to make it hit harder when the Sardaukar come.
    Given the complete lack of personality im getting from the other characters. I really do hope he plays a larger role then what ive been told his character should play.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Dune's messiah is pretty easy to adapt i think, as is children of Dune. I quite like the scifi's mini series of that by the way, with McAvoy playing Leto 2. And they managed to explain the golden path in a suprisingly clear manner, gratz to them lol.

After those two, man, we're entering Emperor of Dune territory and that, well, is not the type Hollywood likes lol.

Okay, I loved both miniseries and still rewatch them on occasion. But I still have no f'ing clue what the golden path was about. I just remember McAvoy growing scales and running like the 90's Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    This movie is only the first half of the book, and the second half isn't even nailed down yet... not a good thing.

I'm not in a rush to see this. I liked the book but had no interest in the sequels, and the Lynch version was ghastly. I will see it if I hear good things once it's out.

I had wondered how they would pull this off. While I would be fine with splitting it, I fear that due to Covid, the film wouldn't make the budget back and the studio would cancel the second film. Unless he shot the whole story, and is then cutting it into two films.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Momoa will likely carry a lot of this movie on his back. It'll be worth watching for him.

Chalamet is not a lead. Definitely not in the place of Kyle MacLachlan. I liked THE KING, but felt it would have been infinitely stronger if it focused on Joel Edgerton's character and his relationship to the would-be-king.
    Uh, according to IMDB, Momoa is playing Duncan. While he had a large roll in later stories, from what I recall he get's killed off very early on in Dune.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Uh, according to IMDB, Momoa is playing Duncan. While he had a large roll in later stories, from what I recall he get's killed off very early on in Dune.
    Yeah several lead characters die in the first, not just Momoa.
    Yet he's the most often recurring character, who gets revived and appears through most stories.
    If this becomes a franchise.
    He'll be the one main recurring character through it all, he's in every flipn story.

Spoilers from 1965-1969-70s spoilers:

Oscar Isaac's Duke Leto dies.
    Rebecca Ferguson' Lady Jessica and Josh Brolin's Gurney Halleck leave.
    And even the youthfull characters who are suposed to bring in the young auduance, go out miserably
    Spoilers for later books-
    Zendaya's Chani dies at childebirth
    and Timothée Chalamet's Paul Atreides (who hive-mind SJW are cluelessly accusing of being a white savior) is by design a criticism of that type of character, in history and fiction, he becomes the embodiment of why that is a dangerous leader, doomed as a blind depressed failure, who fails them and leads them astray as a leader. LOL!
    end of spoilers
    The whole point of the characters is a warning against idealizing characters like that.
    It's actually Momoa's character who "survives" everyone.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-15-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    hive-mind SJW
    Ahhhhhhh...

Guys, don't spoiler people who don't know the books.

Concerning Paul's messiah statut, i do hope that the bene genessit's work on the fremen is going to be explained in the movie, cause that's actually a pretty important point to understand the whole situation.

Another important point is that, no, it's not just an hoax and yes, there is a golden path for mankind. Which is also very important if you ever want to understand why Paul does what he does. And why he doesn't do a certain thing lol that his son will have the courage to do.

But i guess they are going to focus on the Atreides/Harkonnen feud.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

But i guess they are going to focus on the Atreides/Harkonnen feud.
    And yet they haven't even cast Feyd-Rautha character.
    With the first book split, where do people think is a good half way breaking point to end the first film?
    Does the "reveal" Paul's ancestry come into play?.
    Again spoiler from 55 years ago: Although even if you've once been in any Star Wars or sci-fi discussion or forum in the past 40 years, or even the latest chapter about Rey's surprise/unsurprising heritage, you must know all this, or somehow had your head completley in the sand, but yeah, just in case....
    spoilers:
    As to the Atreides/Harkonnen schism,... will it get up to revealing who his Grandfather is?
    Never mind the Emperor (no relation) not even being cast.
    Will Paul actually even meet or see the Baron in the first film?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-16-2020 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    1965, though. Like, you've had plenty of time to know what happens in Dune.

I have never read Dune. I'm well aware of Dune, the story, and in general, the who, the what, the why etc. I'm not going to get mad if I enter a discussion about the upcoming movie and details from a very popular book that was published in 1965 are posted.

Darth Vader is Luke's father. Ya know?

Ultimate Member

My guess is Beast Rabban (Bautista's character) is having his role beefed up to be the main physical baddie (with The Baron pulling the strings BTS) of this film. The Feyd and Emperor Shaddam IV come in in the next film.

As for the split, I'm guessing it'll be shortly after Paul meets Chani/The Fremen in person for the first time.

And yet they haven't even cast Feyd-Rautha character.
    With the first book split, where do people think is a good half way breaking point to end the first film?
    Does the "reveal" Paul's ancestry come into play?.
    Well, if that was me i guess i would do the split when Paul is accepted by the fremen, after the duel with whateverhisname.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    My guess is Beast Rabban (Bautista's character) is having his role beefed up to be the main physical baddie (with The Baron pulling the strings BTS) of this film. The Feyd and Emperor Shaddam IV come in in the next film.

As for the split, I'm guessing it'll be shortly after Paul meets Chani/The Fremen in person for the first time.
    Seems like the split will definitely involve the watershed moment Paul has with the Freemen. Perhaps the climax is the ride he has, dunno.

Its gonna kill me to wait for the next movie if this one is any good.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I’m anti spoiler, but imo you lose the right to complain about spoilers when the source material has been out for several decades.

Nothing huge anyway in terms of potential spoilers. One maybe about Paul and Jessica but the rest you most likely already know about it or is obvious.

Yes there is a treason, yes the good guys win in the end and yes, Snape kills Dumbledore.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am in the minority here, but I did not care for Blade Runner 2049
    Neither did. Love Ridley's Blade Runner but 2049 just didn't click for me.

The whole point of the characters is a warning against idealizing characters like that.
    It's actually Momoa's character who "survives" everyone.
    I'm still trying to picture him as Duncan Idaho. Once he becomes a Ghola, he kind of becomes a philosopher-warrior. But I guess his main role is basically to die alot, lol
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.