Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I'm still trying to picture him as Duncan Idaho. Once he becomes a Ghola, he kind of becomes a philosopher-warrior. But I guess his main role is basically to die alot, lol
    Yes his acting range seems to be one - his fun enthusiastic bad-ass self.
    Which is great fun character to watch in everything i've seen him in, and might barely work for chapter one Duncan.
    But I don't think Villeneuve or the casting thought it through to the next phase, ore are anticipating this ever getting to the sequels, and later analytical warrior philosopher version you describe.
    Or they are just planing to recast cause.... awkward:
    spoilers:

It's gonna get weirdly unsettling for people only loosely following, when they realize the same character later hooks up with what is revealed to be Paul's as yet born little sister. .
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-16-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Yeah several lead characters die in the first, not just Momoa.
    Yet he's the most often recurring character, who gets revived and appears through most stories.
    If this becomes a franchise.
    He'll be the one main recurring character through it all, he's in every flipn story.
    That may be true. I only ever read the first novel and Children, and I'm not sure I finished Children. It was over a decade ago.

Agree the Sci-fi mini series made the books pretty accessible, and don't get enough credit.
    If you just embrace the (by comparison) low budget fx as part of the visual of that universe, see it more as a "stage play" as some have described it, and get past some of the garbled heavy accents in the cast (use closed captioning if you must). It really is quite good. And the story and character which is what maters, really come through.
    And agree it gets even better as they get into Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.
    Which first introduced (me at least) to James McAvoy, who made a great Leto II.

Also the music was terrific... , Inama Nushif = "She is Eternal", and the "Time to settle accounts , Cleansing of the House" montage was sensational.

It won't hold up to this upcoming film, still more people should give it a shot.
    I'm actually watching it right now, and 'Stage Play' is probably the most apt description of the miniseries. A lot of the direction, costumes and lighting would fit right in on a stage. That said, I still enjoy it.

I wish they'd release it on blu-ray, formated for modern televisions, though I doubt that would ever happen.

I really enjoyed the Sci-fi channel's version.

I like it better than the first movie. :O
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Agree the Sci-fi mini series made the books pretty accessible, and don't get enough credit.

It won't hold up to this upcoming film, still more people should give it a shot.
    I'm actually watching it right now, and 'Stage Play' is probably the most apt description of the miniseries...... That said, I still enjoy it.
    Yeah, another thing was a few of the actors change as the story progresses, (although mostly for the better), as they get into the second and third books; Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune, seems to have thrown some off.
    From what I remember the main ones are Jessica, Duncan (fine since he was now a Ghola), and Stilgar.
    Yet once you process who the new actors are replacing, it's fine, and they really command their roles.
    If anything, they leave such a lasting impact, it was then going back and re-watching the first part, that the originals felt off for me.

Unfortunately (for many of the wrong reasons, mostly the not-so-special FX, some heavy accents, and some unforgivable hat design) this mini-series has been written off by to many Sci-Fi / Fantasy fans agreeing with themselves, putting it out there it must be unwatchable.
    Yet to the contrary, more should be giving it a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I really enjoyed the Sci-fi channel's version.
    I like it better than the first movie. :O
    Agree, I enjoyed them both, but yeah especially Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune take it much further than the movie ever could, and it's really worth the watch.

Story and character-wise , I'd argue it's better than most of the (OT aside) later Star Wars additions, which all had much bigger budgets.

From the beautiful and tragic birth of the Jedi twins in the vid above^, as Anakin/Paul contemplates his inevitable fate and role blinded by his vision, and fears of his future and failure ahead, the legacy and condemnation he passes to his twin children and Son, in who he'll find redemption.

(reduced to; I don't like sand. It's all coarse, and rough, and irritating. And it gets everywhere.)

Alia's tragic arc, aware that she’s the product and tool of an ancient order, and it's machinations, ...what we learn is her once defeated evil Grandfather. Now bent on trying to resurrect himself through her.
    (sound familiar, Rey?)
    Leading to her descent towards power, madness, and her final tragic and only "choice".

Actually an interesting one, blows away Rey's derivative and meaningless little dark “vision” of herself, and what we learn is also her Grandfather laughably trying to resurrect himself through her.

In what (although not the most fair comparison) was mostly an all-Disney/Lucas-visual-effect, and zero-content, character-growth and non-struggle. Compared to Alia's character and plight in this TV series version.
    Wonderfully and tragically portrayed by Daniela Amavia.

I mean maybe there is some middle ground between the two, and these new Dune movie(s) (if successful) can be the ones to capture some of both. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I wish they'd release it on blu-ray, formated for modern televisions, though I doubt that would ever happen.
    Something tells me if the Villeneuve version is not a huge money maker or fails to make it's money back, (see Blade Runner which I also thought was excellent), and they don't pursue making the sequels - those who did enjoy it, (who haven't or don't want to read the books), yet still want to know how it continues, might finally seek out the Sci-Fi TV mini-series.

Although hopefully the movie is a huge success, and we finally get the whole story and sequels on the big screen, with the budget it deserve.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-17-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Speaking of Dune and Paul :

Interesting little talk from that gentleman. Spoilers of course.

(very cool channel if you want to learn more about Dune's lore and no, i'm not affiliated to it lol)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Speaking of Dune and Paul :

Interesting little talk from that gentleman. Spoilers of course.

(very cool channel if you want to learn more about Dune's lore and no, i'm not affiliated to it lol)
    Paul is so clearly a tragic protagonist. His victory leads to billions dead and he doesn’t have the courage to make the necessary sacrifice to preserve humanity so he condemns his son. Great character.

7" figure line LtR
    Javier Bardem Stilgar -Timotheé Chalamet Paul Atreides- Rebecca Ferguson Lady Jessica- Jason Momoa Duncan Idaho

Dave Bautista Rabban

And 12" Stellan Skarsgård Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
    aron
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-17-2020 at 06:01 PM.

BANNED

The trailer felt like a breathe of fresh air as a potential blockbuster film. Timothee Chalamet is becoming a force in Hollywood

Not sure i see the point to make two movies though, from a storytelling angle i mean.

That's actually a kinda short story when you look at it. Caladan, move to Dune, Harkonnen happens, join the Fremen, time skip and final battle.

Lynch's movie problem is not that it doesn't have enough screen time, it's the pacing. (and a too liberal uses of inner monologues)

The first movie is going to get pointlessly stretched i'm afraid.

I think there's enough story to easily do two movies. There might be some expanding and contracting of certain parts, sure.

If this were anyone else I might be worried, but I trust Denis. He seems to have, in everything I've read, a very clear idea of what he's doing here.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Paul is so clearly a tragic protagonist. His victory leads to billions dead and he doesn’t have the courage to make the necessary sacrifice to preserve humanity so he condemns his son. Great character.
    The Bene Gesserit are the protagonists of the Dune series. People like Paul (and Leto II) were just their tools to achieving the Golden Path, which was to establish humanity as the dominant force of the universe and ensure survival of the species.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Not sure i see the point to make two movies though, from a storytelling angle i mean.

That's actually a kinda short story when you look at it. Caladan, move to Dune, Harkonnen happens, join the Fremen, time skip and final battle.

Lynch's movie problem is not that it doesn't have enough screen time, it's the pacing. (and a too liberal uses of inner monologues)

The first movie is going to get pointlessly stretched i'm afraid.
    That’s sort of true. I read through all of the books again this year and a lot of the chapters (and I mean a lot of them) are just two characters having a conversation, everything one of them is thinking, and then often what the other is thinking as well. At the end of the chapter you realise they’ve only exchanged a few words.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The Bene Gesserit are the protagonists of the Dune series. People like Paul (and Leto II) were just their tools to achieving the Golden Path, which was to establish humanity as the dominant force of the universe and ensure survival of the species.
    The golden path is not something the Bene Gesserit came up with though. Their ultimate goal was the kwisatz haderach and well, it sure as hell didn't play out as they wanted.

But yeah, in the end the main player of the story is indeed the Bene Gesserit. And Idaho weirdly enough lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    That’s sort of true. I read through all of the books again this year and a lot of the chapters (and I mean a lot of them) are just two characters having a conversation, everything one of them is thinking, and then often what the other is thinking as well. At the end of the chapter you realise they’ve only exchanged a few words.
    Indeed, whole chapter of the books would like 5 minutes in real time lol.

That gives them time to explain a bit the lore i guess though and to give more life to some characters.

Last post in this thread is from a year ago. I'm surprised how little hype this movie is getting in the cbr community. In my film geek circles this is easily the most anticipated movie of the year.

In a week it'll get released in some international markets. In regards of the box office I see the next Blade Runner 2049-like disappointment coming. Let's hope Warner will still greenlight the sequel as they should know a possible box office bomb will be on them and their decision to do a day and date release. Would be so disappointing if this remained unfinished.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.