View Poll Results: Culturally more influential?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friends

15 33.33%
  • Seinfeld

30 66.67%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Friends or Seinfeld

Which of the two has had a bigger cultural impact?

Friends' popularity was something from an another world in its prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Friends' popularity was something from an another world in its prime.
    Seinfeld was called the undisputed greatest ever tv sitcom known to mankind. My preference was Friends.

I don't think there is really a contest. Seinfeld was so much more influential to popular culture. The amount of catch phrases and references even today are testament to that.
    It was also a better show IMNO, but that is another question.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

ALF.

If Alf is not discussed I give it to Seinfeld.

Seinfeld all the way. Friends wasn't bad either but wasn't as revolutionary as Seinfeld, which pretty much tossed about the rulebook for sitcoms. And as mentioned elsewhere, developed a whole vocabulary and series of catchphrases that are still used today (close talker, sponge-worthy, etc.). Sadly, Seinfeld doesn't seem like it could succeed today as so much of it would be viewed as 'problematic', which could not be said about friends, aside from the need to diversify the cast more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't think there is really a contest. Seinfeld was so much more influential to popular culture. The amount of catch phrases and references even today are testament to that.
    It was also a better show IMNO, but that is another question.
    Better Show was always said to be Seinfeld. I don't find any Seinfeld character as funny as Chandler or Phoebe.

Unless WB is paying people to talk about Friends every single day, Friends definitely had the bigger impact on popular culture.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I think Seinfeld had a broader appeal.

But the correct answer to the question is, of course, Frasier. :P
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Seinfeld all the way. Friends wasn't bad either but wasn't as revolutionary as Seinfeld, which pretty much tossed about the rulebook for sitcoms. And as mentioned elsewhere, developed a whole vocabulary and series of catchphrases that are still used today (close talker, sponge-worthy, etc.). Sadly, Seinfeld doesn't seem like it could succeed today as so much of it would be viewed as 'problematic', which could not be said about friends, aside from the need to diversify the cast more.
    Really? I didn't watch either one, despite how big they were, but I've heard people saying Friends was "problematic" too. Although I admittedly can't recall what the criticisms of Friends was (I'd have to look for it).

I preferred Seinfeld. I enjoyed Friends too, but that was comedy pablum compared to Seinfeld.

As far as cultural impact, I might give it to Friends just because it was easier to digest.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-29-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

The biggest criticism of Friends that I've seen is that they do joke about LGBTQ+ things quite a bit.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Better Show was always said to be Seinfeld. I don't find any Seinfeld character as funny as Chandler or Phoebe.

Unless WB is paying people to talk about Friends every single day, Friends definitely had the bigger impact on popular culture.
    George, Kramer, Elaine, Mr. Costanza...all funnier than Chandler.

I don't know about teen WB shows, but Seinfeld had more impact on the culture. It's quantifiable.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    The biggest criticism of Friends that I've seen is that they do joke about LGBTQ+ things quite a bit.
    It made constant fun of Fat people. Monica may never have known love if she remained Fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Thank you!

IMO Seinfeld is extremely overrated. It certainly had an impact on the TV landscape—to the detriment of sitcoms. What followed has been a plethora of shows about anti-social characters, scenes that never go beyond three minutes and plots about “nothing.” Spare me, please.

As for cultural impact Friends spawned just as many catchphrases (How you doin’, Could I be any more..., Smelly Cat, Nooooo, We were on a break). The show started a hairstyle craze.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I don't think that's true. You have still shows like Always Sunny in Philadelphia and South Park is still on the air. I'm not to sure about Family Guy but it hasn't been gone long if it's been cancelled.

This is like when people say you couldn't do Blazing Saddles today and ignore that we just had Taratino's D'Jango where the N-word was said 100 times.