View Poll Results: Culturally more influential?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friends

15 33.33%
  • Seinfeld

30 66.67%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yeah, i've seen a lot of soup nazi memes this week. I'm sure friends had some joke about soup at some point but i can't recall one, which is one reason I would argue Seinfeld had the greater cultural impact.

So many characters that appeared in a single episode of Seinfeld became so memorable, not to mention repeat characters like all of George and Elaine's various bosses. What guest stars or recurring characters from Friends stand out as funny? Gunther? Janice (who also notably appeared on Seinfeld), the complaining neighbor (who showed up as an actor playing Kramer for the sitcom-within-a-sitcom).

I can see the argument that Aniston's hairstyle caught on, that the show was viewed much more by international audiences, and that the good-looking cast was all over every People magazine and gossip rag. But i think a lot of the ideas and vocabulary of Seinfeld wormed its way into the broader culture in a way that Friends never did. I'll grant "we were on a break!" and "could you BE any more....". Even Joey's "How you doin'" is probably more associated with Wendy Williams than Friends at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Friends made a mini comeback at the Emmys. We are going to be seeing an all black version of Friends hosted by Gabrielle Union. Seinfeld is not drawing the same comebacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Better Show was always said to be Seinfeld. I don't find any Seinfeld character as funny as Chandler or Phoebe.

Unless WB is paying people to talk about Friends every single day, Friends definitely had the bigger impact on popular culture.
    I voted for Friends, but both shows are still very popular in different ways. Still, how many Friends clone shows are out there? HIMYM comes to mind. I'm sure there is more.

Both shows are very funny, but I don't care about anyone in Seinfeld. I actually find all quite annoying, but the stories were very funny and original.

Friends was more heart-warming. And I really like Phoebe and Joey. They make me laugh the most. The thing I dislike the most in this show is the Rachel/Ross contrived romance.

I also dare to say, Star Trek might be the most influential show in real life..

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Friends made a mini comeback at the Emmys. We are going to be seeing an all black version of Friends hosted by Gabrielle Union. Seinfeld is not drawing the same comebacks.
    I'm not sure that replacing every single actor in the show is a point in favor of Friends.

Also, Seinfeld is not making a comeback by choice. Can you think of any major network that wouldn't cut off any of their own limbs for a chance at a return of Seinfeld?

That show-within-the-show Seinfeld reunion on Curb Your Enthusiasm, as brief as the glimpses were, was still probably better than most real comedies out at the time (and presently).
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Also, Seinfeld is not making a comeback by choice. Can you think of any major network that wouldn't cut off any of their own limbs for a chance at a return of Seinfeld?

That show-within-the-show Seinfeld reunion on Curb Your Enthusiasm, as brief as the glimpses were, was still probably better than most real comedies out at the time (and presently).
    The thing is you could equally say that for Friends. In fact more so for Friends because the streaming age has been very kind to friends so lots of young people who never watched Seinfeld are still aware of Friends

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm not sure that replacing every single actor in the show is a point in favor of Friends.
    It’s a script reading I think. Not an actual series. It’s kinda like how a bunch of modern actors read a few scenes from Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The thing is you could equally say that for Friends. In fact more so for Friends because the streaming age has been very kind to friends so lots of young people who never watched Seinfeld are still aware of Friends
    I'm not arguing that Seinfeld has more cultural influence than Friends, I explained my position earlier up the thread. I just don't think Friends having a reunion/comeback is evidence of that.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)