View Poll Results: Culturally more influential?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friends

15 33.33%
  • Seinfeld

30 66.67%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I think its Seinfeld. That show actually created new words to the American lexicon that persist to this day.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-29-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    As for cultural impact Friends spawned just as many catchphrases (How you doin’, Could I be any more..., Smelly Cat, Nooooo, We were on a break). The show started a hairstyle craze.
    "Smelly cat" was a catchphrase?
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Synestra View Post
    Really? I didn't watch either one, despite how big they were, but I've heard people saying Friends was "problematic" too. Although I admittedly can't recall what the criticisms of Friends was (I'd have to look for it).
    When it was on the air, Friends was criticized for it's lack of diversity, not so much the main cast but the fact that people watched it and said, "Wait, this show is set in New York and there's no minorities in the city?" Seinfeld didn't get this criticism because frequently the cast would interact with people of different ethnicities and sometimes that would be the point and sometimes not. Looking back, there was a fair number of gay panic jokes on Friends. They did them on Seinfeld too, but it would be the point...the infamous "Not that there's anything wrong with it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post

As for cultural impact Friends spawned just as many catchphrases (How you doin’, Could I be any more..., Smelly Cat, Nooooo, We were on a break). The show started a hairstyle craze.
    So you got 3 from Friends? Seinfeld had dozens, and they created a new holiday. Festivus for the rest of us!

https://seinfeld.fandom.com/wiki/Lis...infeld_sayings

https://www.bustle.com/articles/2950...up-words-video

https://www.businessinsider.com/famo...da-yada-yada-4
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    When it was on the air, Friends was criticized for it's lack of diversity, not so much the main cast but the fact that people watched it and said, "Wait, this show is set in New York and there's no minorities in the city?" Seinfeld didn't get this criticism because frequently the cast would interact with people of different ethnicities and sometimes that would be the point and sometimes not. Looking back, there was a fair number of gay panic jokes on Friends. They did them on Seinfeld too, but it would be the point...the infamous "Not that there's anything wrong with it!"
    I remember one episode where George was desperately trying to find a black friend to prove to his boss that he wasn't racist.

One of the big differences between Seinfeld and Friends is that Friends always tried to present the cast as "the cool guys" where Seinfeld was more "what is wrong with these schmucks?" When you're only presenting your cast as losers and weirdos it's a lot easier to get away with things. They're not glorifying them the same way.

I maintain that George Costanza is the biggest loser in American tv history. Even Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    "Smelly cat" was a catchphrase?
    Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat what are they feeding you. This sing along with the theme song- I'll be there for you has more pop culture references than anything from Seinfeld.

Yada, Yada, Yada is the best known Seinfeld catchphrase. It's not an original.

Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat what are they feeding you.
    This topic is the first time I have ever heard that mentioned in my life.

Extraordinary Member

Friends had more of a cultural impact and it wasn’t particularly close. College and 20-30 somethings still binge it. When it was on you actually couldn’t escape it in the media at all. It was like the water cooler show. What Game of Thrones was the last 6 years was what Friends was at its peak.

Seinfeld was probably better, but Friends had that cool sexy factor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So you got 3 from Friends? Seinfeld had dozens, and they created a new holiday. Festivus for the rest of us!

https://seinfeld.fandom.com/wiki/Lis...infeld_sayings

https://www.bustle.com/articles/2950...up-words-video

https://www.businessinsider.com/famo...da-yada-yada-4
    Those are very loose. Half of those I never hear anyone say and Kojak was more famous for calling people “baby”

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat what are they feeding you. This sing along with the theme song- I'll be there for you has more pop culture references than anything from Seinfeld.

It had a minor reoccurring role within the show, but I don't remember that one catching on like the other actual catchphrases.

BTW, all I did was question the notion of Smelly Cat being a catchphrase, I didn't criticize it as a song or idea or attempt at humor. No need to get defensive.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Friends also coined the term “friend zone”, which is pretty major.

https://www.vulture.com/2014/12/friend-zone.html
    Last edited by Riv86672; 08-29-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Seinfeld is probably the better show.

That said, overtime I grew to like Friends more because I actually started finding all the Seinfeld characters kind of unlikable people. Still funny, but not likable.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat what are they feeding you. ......

Meet the original Smelly Cat - Stinky / Theoder...

Last edited by Güicho; 08-29-2020 at 05:49 PM.

I vote for Seinfeld, without hesitation. I loved it when I was a kid and so did everyone around me. Everyone I knew was using Seinfeld "memes" when the show was on before memes were really a thing.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-29-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."