Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Cheetah and lack of respect in WW verse in general.

Why is it that WW and her world usually get disrespected by her own label? For example Cheetah, who is supposed to have Godly powers in her to go toe to toe with WW, gets beaten by batman, catwoman etc. Now in the upcoming animated batman movie, once again the same happens. Then apparently she gets shot by todd. There is a new WW film coming out. And they are portraying Cheetah like this? Did they do this to bane, joker etc when batman films were coming out? I mean, i also read something about the plot leaks of WW84. And it seems like the way Cheetah goes down there is not the best option either. Why is it so difficult to respect Cheetah and other WW villains? It's difficult to understand how powerful they are supposed to be? If a hero is as good as their villains. Then we can't expect much better for Diana, if her rogue is treated like this.

1. She's a woman. Wonder Woman is rarely respected herself, why would her arch-nemesis be any different? Comic books in general don't really take female villains as seriously as male ones; look at Marvel - what big-name female villains do they actually even have? Mystique, maybe, but she's certainly not a powerhouse like Cheetah. And I've often thought that the rest of WW's rogues gallery is derided because they're 95% female, too.

2. She's cat-themed. Catwoman is a more famous cat-themed character, and she's just a woman wearing a costume. A lot of people (creators included) also only remember Cheetah from Challenge of the Super Friends, where she was basically Catwoman in a cheetah costume. DC editors must be guilty of this, too, since they continue to allow writers to use the character in ways that don't emphasize her godly powers.

3. People don't read Wonder Woman. Okay, that's hyperbole, obviously Wonder Woman has a ton of fans. But her comics aren't as widely-received as Superman's or Batman's, so that has an effect on her mythos as a whole. Cheetah is actually pretty well-respected in Wonder Woman comics (for the most part, of course), but because the comic doesn't get the traffic that other male superheroes' gets, people aren't able to see Cheetah's power levels the way we do.

4. Her inconsistent origins. This goes kind of hand-in-hand with point #2 - Cheetah has had as many interpretations and re-imaginings as Wonder Woman herself has had. Priscilla Rich was a wealthy socialite with an inferiority complex. In the Silver Age, Debbi Domaine was a brainwashed eco-terrorist. Post-Crisis, Barbara Ann Minerva was a devious archeologist who craved power. The New 52 had her in a cult dedicated to the Goddess of the Hunt. Rebirth had her as Diana's BFF who blames her for her cursed transformation. There are so many origins that it's hard to remember which one is current, though most of us agree her current version is the best she's had since the 40's. But it's still relatively recent, so it hasn't crossed over as quickly to outside media.

But I think you're selling Wonder Woman 1984 short. Yes, I've read the supposed spoilers, too, but everything we've seen from the trailers makes it seem like this will finally be Cheetah's time to shine. And I hope that she finally garners the respect she deserves from fans and, more importantly, DC Comics itself.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    1. She's a woman. Wonder Woman is rarely respected herself, why would her arch-nemesis be any different? Comic books in general don't really take female villains as seriously as male ones; look at Marvel - what big-name female villains do they actually even have? Mystique, maybe, but she's certainly not a powerhouse like Cheetah. And I've often thought that the rest of WW's rogues gallery is derided because they're 95% female, too.

2. She's cat-themed. Catwoman is a more famous cat-themed character, and she's just a woman wearing a costume. A lot of people (creators included) also only remember Cheetah from Challenge of the Super Friends, where she was basically Catwoman in a cheetah costume. DC editors must be guilty of this, too, since they continue to allow writers to use the character in ways that don't emphasize her godly powers.

3. People don't read Wonder Woman. Okay, that's hyperbole, obviously Wonder Woman has a ton of fans. But her comics aren't as widely-received as Superman's or Batman's, so that has an effect on her mythos as a whole. Cheetah is actually pretty well-respected in Wonder Woman comics (for the most part, of course), but because the comic doesn't get the traffic that other male superheroes' gets, people aren't able to see Cheetah's power levels the way we do.

4. Her inconsistent origins. This goes kind of hand-in-hand with point #2 - Cheetah has had as many interpretations and re-imaginings as Wonder Woman herself has had. Priscilla Rich was a wealthy socialite with an inferiority complex. In the Silver Age, Debbi Domaine was a brainwashed eco-terrorist. Post-Crisis, Barbara Ann Minerva was a devious archeologist who craved power. The New 52 had her in a cult dedicated to the Goddess of the Hunt. Rebirth had her as Diana's BFF who blames her for her cursed transformation. There are so many origins that it's hard to remember which one is current, though most of us agree her current version is the best she's had since the 40's. But it's still relatively recent, so it hasn't crossed over as quickly to outside media.

But I think you're selling Wonder Woman 1984 short. Yes, I've read the supposed spoilers, too, but everything we've seen from the trailers makes it seem like this will finally be Cheetah's time to shine. And I hope that she finally garners the respect she deserves from fans and, more importantly, DC Comics itself.
    Pretty much agree with all this.

As for WW1984, I was initially turned off by the leaks as well but the more I see how things are playing out in the trailers and how Wiig is playing it (and how great she looks in her full form) the more I'm on board. It seems like a character driven, personal conflict between two women that will tug on the heart strings a bit. And while she's named Barbara Minerva, the plot as it looks to be playing out make sense when you remember elements of Priscilla were likely folded into this.

spoilers:
    her seemingly being a one and done may be disappointing, but it doesn't seem Jenkins is aiming to make everything to serialized and this allows Diana to achieve a victory she's never going to be able to accomplish in the comics
    end of spoilers

Pretty much what Nyssane said.

If I were to add anything Wonder Woman's own largely mixed-to-poor appearances in other non-WW solo comics and media is also a reason why. If creators aren't going to put much thought or care into Diana herself they are definitely going to put even less into Cheetah or other WW rogues.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-29-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

To be fair, it's not just the Jason Todd DTV she has to worry about.

Bloodlines short changed her and gave what was originally her story (for the DTV plot and the comics it was based on) to Vanessa and basically used her as a hold over mook.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Bloodlines short changed her and gave what was originally her story (for the DTV plot and the comics it was based on) to Vanessa and basically used her as a hold over mook.
    She has to worry sbout most of her appearances outside comics, and many from the comics. But i don't get why her and WW verse get this treatment. I mean it is not hard to put some effort into avoiding portrayals that make them look like street levelers. It's not hard at all. They don't need to spend money to avoid that type of writing. So why is this still happening?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

To think Cheetah's best animated showing is Brave and the Bold.

I fight my cat all the time, just a few hours ago in fact, and afterwards I scooped him up and stroked his ears and chin. Why would a taller cat be any threat?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

It’s creators not recognizing her godly abilities, senses, speed, and strength and not recognizing that Barbara Minerva is just as dangerous as Cheetah.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

Absolutely all of this.

Incredible Member

Nyssane has captured it.

The fact they’re so inconsistent with Diana herself (flight or no flight, bulletproof or vulnerable to bullets and other weapons, etc) doesn’t help matters either. If Wonder Woman is depowered, then by extension her foes are also depowered.

The fact that, like Diana, Cheetah is continually reimagined also doesn’t help matters as without canonical consistency across all media appearances, everyone is going to have their own interpretations of the character.

BANNED

Nyssane already answers it all.

The fact that Wonder Woman is female superhero with a kind of uninteresting run compared to her peers that gain a very generous run whether, from Waid, Johns, or Morisson doesn't help matters either. If Wonder Woman at least has a more inviting premise then she will be at least a bit commercially did it.

But as for power, the OP mentioned the batman world. I mean who won't job to Batman in DC. He and his family defeat everyone to the point that I am sure if the world-shattering event happened because of Darkseid or something like that, Batman is going to be the one who defeat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Nyssane already answers it all.

The fact that Wonder Woman is female superhero with a kind of uninteresting run compared to her peers that gain a very generous run whether, from Waid, Johns, or Morisson doesn't help matters either. If Wonder Woman at least has a more inviting premise then she will be at least a bit commercially did it.

But as for power, the OP mentioned the batman world. I mean who won't job to Batman in DC. He and his family defeat everyone to the point that I am sure if the world-shattering event happened because of Darkseid or something like that, Batman is going to be the one who defeat him.
    Waid and Johns never wrote a WW run and Morrison's work with her as a solo act was an elseworld. She has had acclaimed runs from the likes of Rucka and Perez the former of which got an Eisner nomination for his work with her.

Astonishing Member

I haven't read much of Cheetah, but what I have read Rucka's stands out for me. I was rereading the issue where Cheetah attacks Diana in the Hague when she's on trial for murdering max Lord and she steals the issue. Her thinking is incredibly complex, sympathetic yet monstrous, and she has what it takes to be just as dangerous as Wonder Woman. It reminded me of Ledger's Joker, I want this sort of rendition to be in a film one day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Waid and Johns never wrote a WW run and Morrison's work with her as a solo act was an elseworld. She has had acclaimed runs from the likes of Rucka and Perez the former of which got an Eisner nomination for his work with her.
    Yes I mean Waid, Johns, and Morrison never wrote WW in her regular run. While Rucka and Perez had an interstellar run with WW, DC never really capitalize it in the way what some character that Johns, Morrison, and Waid did. I mean if you look at DC Youtube page, you will see that any Batman books whether it's Elseworlds stuff or main stuff get a trailer. I mean a trailer for the comic books. Whether it's Last Knight on Earth or Three Jokers, Batman got the publicity like that. Now you might be thinking Superman doesn't get it, but Superman had the best anniversary video by Zack Snyder. Now, where is Wonder Woman publicity? I mean say what you want about her getting a great writer team whether it's Rucka or Perez, but if DC doesn't care with her then those teams just pointless.

To be honest I rant like this because I am just frustrated at DC doesn't do really anything with her while Marvel just gave an event for Hulkling for god sake. Hulkling. A character that is only I think had a 14 years run in the comic book world. Where is Wonder Woman event DC? And just to rub into people's head, Marvel released a trailer not only for that Hulkling event, to Iron Man Event, Venom Event, and to Captain America book. If DC doesn't really care for Wonder Woman why don't they just... You Know... Shelved it for a period of time or even just sell it.