Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    If DC doesn't really care for Wonder Woman why don't they just... You Know... Shelved it for a period of time or even just sell it.
    They are likely not going to see it for the same reason they won't sell Superman. They want to do the bare minimum to keep the IP and make some money off of it by merchandise, but won't ever sell it because of the risk that others would make more money with it than they ever could.

Both the Superman and Wonder Woman IPs would be in much better hands elsewhere.

At the risk of sounding like a certain other poster, I can't help but notice that animal-like humanoids in anime and manga are often allowed to be high-tier super beings whereas in American comics they're often limited to street level at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a certain other poster, I can't help but notice that animal-like humanoids in anime and manga are often allowed to be high-tier super beings whereas in American comics they're often limited to street level at best.
    Then I guess we should be asking for an anime adaptation. Wonder Woman and her villains would be great in a magical girl series.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Then I guess we should be asking for an anime adaptation. Wonder Woman and her villains would be great in a magical girl series.
    I know a lot of people want an animated WW series to match Sups and Bats, but an anime would be a lot cooler imo. Its something different and if we got a great studio that focuses on the action scenes there would be a lot of replay value. The style would need to be a classic one, preferably nothing with huge anime eyes or stick figures.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Wasn’t Cheetah gunned down by a goon in JLD Apokolips War…that's how much respect she's given. A lot of people at DC Comics think Cheetah is literally just an anthropomorphic cheetah, even the ‘DC Anatomy of a Metahuman’ mentions she can run at up to 75mph...

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Wasn’t Cheetah gunned down by a goon in JLD Apokolips War…that's how much respect she's given. A lot of people at DC Comics think Cheetah is literally just an anthropomorphic cheetah, even the ‘DC Anatomy of a Metahuman’ mentions she can run at up to 75mph...
    Yup and yup. She could have been one of the last survivors blitzing Paradooms with kryptonite claws and fangs before the big boom, but nope.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Yup and yup. She could have been one of the last survivors blitzing Paradooms with kryptonite claws and fangs before the big boom, but nope.
    Well hopefully with WW84, more people will become aware that Cheetah is not just a bipedal cheetah with enormous ****, and her tide begins to turn

So far Wonder Woman hasn't had a Stan Lee, guiding her editorial destiny, the way Batman and the X-Men have had.

Adjudicator, Bushmaster, the (Termite) Queen, Doctor Cyber...respectively, Galactus, Deathstroke, the Alien Queen and Doctor Doom, in embryonic form! We're not interested in these, so much as Cheetah and Circe, who are sillier characters, who don't easily fit into stories, with other characters.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-31-2020 at 10:24 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    So far Wonder Woman hasn't had a Stan Lee, guiding her editorial destiny, the way Batman and the X-Men have had.

Adjudicator, Bushmaster, the (Termite) Queen, Doctor Cyber...respectively, Galactus, Deathstroke, the Alien Queen and Doctor Doom, in embryonic form! We're not interested in these, so much as Cheetah and Circe, who are sillier characters, who don't easily fit into stories, with other characters.
    I don't think they are silly or hard to use. They suffer from the same problem that WW suffers. Lack of interest from the editors at DC. The heads at DC don't put much effort into WW herself, let alone her villains.

The recent Justice League show at least gave Cheetah her super speed and let her fight Flash

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I think a lot of the confusion can be linked back to her name. Cheetahs aren’t seen as particularly dangerous and formidable predators. At least not to people. Cheetahs are known for being one thing, fast. Not strong or particularly cunning. So if you’re a fan or a creator with limited knowledge of WW’s mythos your first perception of Cheetah would often be colored by these notions.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 09-02-2020 at 05:04 AM.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    1. She's a woman. Wonder Woman is rarely respected herself, why would her arch-nemesis be any different? Comic books in general don't really take female villains as seriously as male ones; look at Marvel - what big-name female villains do they actually even have? Mystique, maybe, but she's certainly not a powerhouse like Cheetah. And I've often thought that the rest of WW's rogues gallery is derided because they're 95% female, too
    The sad part is that Marvel does indeed have female villains that could be big-name if only Marvel bothered to use them as well as they use and as well as they push Magneto, Dr. Doom, Thanos, et al: Morgan Le Fay, Superia, Cassandra Nova, Emma Frost, Madame Masque, Lady Deathstrike, et al. All of them SHOULD be as famous as Dr. Doom, but the problem is comic book writers and artists are still predominantly male, and it seems that male writers/artists don't care about much about utilizing female villains.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They are likely not going to see it for the same reason they won't sell Superman. They want to do the bare minimum to keep the IP and make some money off of it by merchandise, but won't ever sell it because of the risk that others would make more money with it than they ever could.

Both the Superman and Wonder Woman IPs would be in much better hands elsewhere.
    Whenever I go to a Walmart or a Dollar Store or a Five Below or pretty much any mass-market store that sells stuff like backpacks, t-shirts, keychains and other stuff like that, I realize how much I wish Disney owned DC Comics. Yes, the films might be a tad generic and middle-of-the-road, but you KNOW that Wonder Woman's image would be slapped across every kind of merchandise imaginable. Disney surely knows how to sell their IPs no doubt.
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 09-02-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    1. She's a woman. Wonder Woman is rarely respected herself, why would her arch-nemesis be any different? Comic books in general don't really take female villains as seriously as male ones; look at Marvel - what big-name female villains do they actually even have? Mystique, maybe, but she's certainly not a powerhouse like Cheetah. And I've often thought that the rest of WW's rogues gallery is derided because they're 95% female, too.
    To also be fair, it seems that recently if a female villain starts to gain the same popularity that a male villain has, they "can't be that bad" and often has a heel face turn. While this does happen with some male villains too, the ratio of female to male baddies definitely stands out when they decide to make a villain redeemable....then heroic.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    To also be fair, it seems that recently if a female villain starts to gain the same popularity that a male villain has, they "can't be that bad" and often has a heel face turn. While this does happen with some male villains too, the ratio of female to male baddies definitely stands out when they decide to make a villain redeemable....then heroic.
    It's not like Cheetah has only been having trouble these past years. Her and WW verse in general have received the short end of the stick far too often.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I don't think they are silly or hard to use. They suffer from the same problem that WW suffers. Lack of interest from the editors at DC. The heads at DC don't put much effort into WW herself, let alone her villains.
    No-oo...don't think I'm too far off, calling them silly and possessed of less potential, than WW's lesser developed antagonists (badguys). Right now, Cheetah's a funny, crazy cat-lady, with no apparent or compelling reason for her actions and existence. Circe is, only recently, taking shape into something truly ominous and worthy of an arch-enmity, with Wonder Woman - no surprise, this transformation is happening, in another comic and outside the pages of WW. Prior to James Tynion's run on Justice League Dark, Circe was a tired, slinky sorceress, cliche, ..like a badly written Joan Collins character.

The WW comic, which has no consistently recognizable rogues gallery, after over seventy years in publication, ..has its own Galactus, Deathstroke the Terminator (two, if you count Colonel Poison), Borg Queen, SPECTRE and Doctor Doom. What's it doing with ANY of these potentially game-changing villains...seriously, what?

Nothing. My outrage is justifiable, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    It's not like Cheetah has only been having trouble these past years. Her and WW verse in general have received the short end of the stick far too often.
    Agreeing with you, on both points.

I'm not crazy about Cheetah being an evil Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, as it's not very imaginative. Now, ..if you told me she's an evil Lara Croft, from an alternate future, who scientifically or quasi-mystically engineered herself a superhumanly strong, hybrid were-cheetah body to survive the rigors of time-travel and for defense against unexpected threats, ..I'm listening.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-13-2020 at 09:11 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!