Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Because he's done [mostly] everything else justice? The Spider-Man movies were made with interference/collaboration from Sony, who clearly have no idea what they're doing with that franchise. At the very least, he cares enough about Marvel's characters not to make the same egregious mistakes Fox did.
    While yes I agree I do also want to mention Kevin Feige and Disney did not want Tom Holland for Spider-Man. They wanted to go with that actor from the YA novel movie about a kid who fought a war without realizing it because he was more racially ambiguous (similar to their strategy with Artemis Fowl). It was Sony and I think Amy Pascal who really stuck by casting Tom Holland and wouldn't quit on him.
    Last edited by Gripstir; 08-29-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Yes I do. But I kind of wish he was giving X-Men it's own phases. So that all generations of X-Men are in the MCU.

X-Men Gold/Blue
    All New All Different
    X-Factor
    Excalibur
    New Mutants
    Generation X
    New X-Men
    Jean Grey Institute students
    Generation Hope

I hope they spread out the X-Men characters and bring them all in for a movie event.

I dont think solo movies will work for X-Men characters.

I'm hopeful and optimistic that Fiege's take on the X-Men will be a good one.

I'm not looking for the perfect take as that doesn't exist yet or isn't feasible with the reality of storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    I loved Cyclops and Storm in the original movies. Not to mention you have to take into account these movies had much smaller budgets and were shorter. Also Marvel still failed most of their villains. I'd argue failing Hulk and Thor is a bigger offense and depending on who you ask Spidey
    You're in the minority there mate, Cyclops and Storm are genuinely thought to be shafted. Cyclops undoubtedly got the worst of it. His screen time in X2 and X3 is undeniably limited to say the least (a pity because i think Marsden was a good choice). Storm was fine at best imo. Halle Berry wasn't great and there was nothing about Storm that felt like the Storm we all know and love. I'm not gonna talk too much about Thor because I think he's been on the up and up since Ragnarok. Hulk is at a disadvantage because they can't give him a solo film due to film rights, which is a shame (But hopefully having him share a movie with Wolverine can get past this a bit?). Spider-Man is another thing entirely. I personally don't mind the changes made to the character, as I feel his characterisation in the MCU is something we haven't seen before, but I understand some of the problems people have with it.

Then why don't people hate the Avengers? Literally all we have seen throughout these movies is support for the Avengers
    Avengers are different. Barring Thor (who is an alien/God), all the Avengers have man made powers. Tony has a suit, Steve was given a serum by the government, Hawkeye shoots good, Hulk was a science experiment gone wrong. Mutants are different. Mutants signify the end of humanity, they signify the irrelevance of humanity. This is a staple of the X-Men brand. Busiek and Ross' "Marvels" explained this perfectly. The thought that there are people born with these gifts scares people. Think of how the world has been defined by fear since 9/11. Terrorists can be anyone, from anywhere. Now, in Marvel, who has powers is not limited to the few people who can afford a billion dollar suit of armour, it can be the guy next door who wakes up one day and can shoot laser beams from his eyes. It can be your old childhood friend who one day finds out she can put you in a coma by touching you. It's not the same as the Avengers or any other super group. It's frightening for the average person, especially in today's political climate.

Also, MCU is getting better at approaching more difficult ideas. Civil War, IW/Endgame, Black Panther etc have all been compelling in regards to their characters and their goals. I think they are at the right place to be experimenting with X-Men. Not to mention MCU have started to really develop their villains, so now the X-Men's rogues gallery can be explored fully, unlike in the FOX films who were dead set in their grounded approach. Feige has developed a world where we could possibly see even Mojo fight the X-Men, and I say let's fricking go.

And we all want to see those outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Yes I do. But I kind of wish he was giving X-Men it's own phases. So that all generations of X-Men are in the MCU.

X-Men Gold/Blue
    All New All Different
    X-Factor
    Excalibur
    New Mutants
    Generation X
    New X-Men
    Jean Grey Institute students
    Generation Hope

I hope they spread out the X-Men characters and bring them all in for a movie event.

I dont think solo movies will work for X-Men characters.
    I was thinking the exact same thing in regards to solo movies. There needs to be spin off team movies as opposed to solos. All leading up to some big stuff (AoA?), then leading up to current Krakoa stuff in my opinion!

Right now, Rocket Racoon is a bigger more well known character to the general public than Gambit, Rogue, Iceman, and Jubilee combined.

There's also the matter of costumes. Fox never wanted anything but people in black leather at all times. They even cut the scene where Wolverine would have a received a comics accurate costume. With Fiege we got stuff like World War Hulk designs and Captain America's USO costume.

We still have no clue how he is going to introduce them. But we don't need another origin movie. They should be characters that already are good at using there powers and have a team/family dynamic.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Compare Scott and Ororo in the comics to their Fox-men versions. Fox failed them utterly, and they are the leaders of the team. Feige's Tony and Steve are better than their comics counterparts. Feige elevated them. I can't wait to see his Cyke and Storm!
    all of that is subjective. But again you can’t include everything in a 2 hour movie. It’s easy for Feige to elevate Rogers and Stark when they’re the primary focus of 3 avengers movies and they get their own trilogies but you can’t really do that for the x men. Ongoing comic series are more like television than movies so you can spend time with basically every member. you can’t in movies

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Right now, Rocket Racoon is a bigger more well known character to the general public than Gambit, Rogue, Iceman, and Jubilee combined.

There's also the matter of costumes. Fox never wanted anything but people in black leather at all times. They even cut the scene where Wolverine would have a received a comics accurate costume. With Fiege we got stuff like World War Hulk designs and Captain America's USO costume.
    I seriously doubt that besides Jubilee. Bobby was pretty important on X2. Also popularity doesn’t equate to quality

After the originals they started giving them colorful costumes. MCU isn’t always accurate either.

My 2 biggest worries are:

1. How they are going to introduce mutants into the world. I personally don't like the idea of the Snap bringing mutation to life. I think mutants needed to have been around for decades

2. I don't want them to me making jokes all the time, especially to characters that are a bit more serious like Cyclops and Magneto.

Other than that, I can guarantee the casting and costumes are going to be top tier and they have plenty of years of iconic stories to take influence from. It's also not just up to Feige to do them justice, it's up to the directors and creators they chose
    Last edited by HaydnC95; 08-29-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Because Fox put such a low bar. They mishandled so many characters and gave them such boring personalities. Rogue is basically unrecognizable to me as a character. Scott, Ororo, Jean, etc... the list goes on. They hyper focused on Wolverine and later Magneto, Xaiver and Mystique to the detriment of every other character.

If I only know about the X-Men characters through the film series, they would be probably my least favorite team. That's how bad Fox's interpretation of them was.

Thank god I was introduced to them through the animated series and the comics first.

Yes, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't. I'm not a fan of FOX movies. The main problem is going to be avoiding already used plots, but in Spider-man for now I think they have done very well to give it a fresh touch that at the same time maintains the essence.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Not just them. Jean, Betsy, Rogue, Iceman, Sunspot, Cecelia Reyes, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Emma, Darwin, and the list goes on. Fox mishandled almost every character they had to play with.
    do you think it’s realistic to expect all those characters to have a major role in these movies?

do you think it’s realistic to expect all those characters to have a major role in these movies?
    I think it's realistic to expect that the ones who do appear, whether from this list or not, will be treated with more care and regard for the source material. I really do not see a world in which Feige allows the X-Women to be relegated to background players, or in which characters like Sunspot are played by white actors because "racism in Brazil isn't important" or whatever the New Mutants director said. At this point the bar is on the floor.

Because Fox didn't much for the X-Men outside Wolverine, Magneto and Xavier, everyone else was between meh or ok, or downrigth mediocre. Feige is probably going to give a more balanced vision of the team, maybe they will do changes that i won't agreed with, but at least it will be something more solid.

I don't like their Spider-Man i think that the concept is as anti-spider-man as you can get, but there is no doubt than that version has its appeal and has been sucesfull and the movies were good (well Far From Home wasn't that great, but whatever), so at least we can expect something of quality from Feige that will give some chance to resurrect the popularity of certain X-Men, i mean they could fail in that regard too, but i don't think is very likely.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona