Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    It's so funny reading Dboi2001 and Castle's comments in this thread, because most of it just comes across as "Darker = Better!" and "Well MCU did that too". Neither of you have any regard for different opinions, and Dboi, no matter what you say - you started this thread in order to push your opinion as "objective fact". Neither of you seem to understand what objectivity is, and your posts are hypocritical through and through. Honestly, I don't know either of you, but you both seem envious of the MCU's success. It seems you both love Zack Snyder's DC films and vision, which is fine, but maybe you're annoyed that his vision wasn't seen through to the end. This is also fine.

What I will say though, is that I don't believe either of you love the FOX X-Men films, or hold them in as high regard as you have said. I think your bitterness over the MCU has clouded your judgement completely and so anything MCU related is bad, or at the very least, destined to be bad. This is not something that the majority in this thread (most likely the world too) agree with. Deal with it and move on.
    Yep some very pathetic souls behind the keyboards that created this thread and continue to blow hot air.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Agree with the posters above; I hate floppies. Trades all the way!

Sure.

Not much of that was "subtext." I mean, the relational stuff is part of the main plot and addressed onscreen.

How much can Marvel-disney truly address? is how much not what can. They do okay with what can.

None of that, esp. the bolded is complexity by default, nor does being darker or more serious automatically mean deeper (consider Pixar -- esp. stuff like the Toy Story movies, Inside Out or Up -- noted for being very colorful and full of laughs, but also making us cry and think). Does Guardians talk about social issues? No. However, it's complexity comes in exploring its characters, who are developed to be more then the concepts they are on paper. When done well, both forms of complexity are the mark of good writing and a story/book/movie/whatever that's more then the sum of its parts. (Also, have to say that with the X-Men film series including stuff like the first Wolverine movie and Apocalypse, there seems to be room in that franchise for both deep storytelling and pure fluff.)

Pixar has great movies but no chance, no way I am going to put pixar up there with Batman: Under the Redhood or Superman:Red son or Mask of the Phantom or The Killing Joke. all are great but are not the same. I won't even put Pixar with X-Men Evolution season 4.

GOTG may deal with complexity but it is wrapped up in a bubbly persona, its sad that both Magneto and Starlord loose a parent at the beginning of their films but magneto becomes a reclusive cynical person with PTSDs issues riddled with anger, those themes of anger, ptsd, cynicalism, these are more complex themes to explore in a character regardless of the genre, comic books, drama, sci-fi, action.

Marvel does not like this. starlord becomes a humour guy. both characters may have complexity but Magneto's own is something that was written more from a common adult experience POV, Star Lord was written from a kids POV, (the humor) Both may be good to different peoples but there is still a difference.

I will give this moment when Xavier tries to tell him to put aside Rage for once. Magneto could not do this. You will not find anything like with star lord for 2/3 of the GOTG or ever.

Starlord fails to experience a moment like this because of the death of his mum. Marvel has to keep him funny all the time to water that away. What this does is make Magneto more believable as a character than star lord ever will be. Magneto is 1 out 4 people on earth. Star lord is more of a pure fantasy character to young kids, who still don't know how very cruel the world is. the complete opposite of Magneto or Rogue.

No one ever said that. In fact, I'd rather see the MCU X-Men reboot skew closer to Winter Solider in tone, with the balance of characters' screen time we see in the Avengers movies (in other words, call the Russo brothers to direct?). The only point I was making is that at least some of the MCU movies are deeper then you're giving them credit for and that the whole idea that because they're colorful and funny they are just fluff is just plain wrong (as is X-Men, the Synder DC movies, and whatever you want to shake a stick being inherently deep and mature just because the color was sucked out and they're generally humorous)
    I will always give Winter Solider A effort, it is the best MCU has done trying to movie away from their formula , but this movie is not X-Men not in story content, characters arcs or filming. Winter Solider is a basis though but with some tight restrictions.

The colour stuff is Disney. It's not marvel. so yeah, I am a big no to this one. DC should even been more colourful than Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with the thread. There are just certain posters that shouldn't be allowed to take part in these discussions anymore.

Some people don't want to have civil discuss things. They want to win. They don't want to hear a different opinion. They want to be told their opinion is right. (I'll admit that at times I've fallen into this trap myself, but I like to think I've gotten better about backing off once I see where it's going.)
    I agree it would be nice if some posters were not allowed to take part in the thread, mostly posters who are just saying completely false things about Fox movies to make Kevin Feige look like this big savour coming to save X-Men, when he is not.

The least we can do in a civil discussion is to be honest and true or at least know the lore of X-Men well enough. This is the reason I keep dropping movie videos or referencing the comics or animations because I want to be honest about Fox and Marvel. It's not a matter of winning because marvel already won. they have the rights back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    It’s a great scene. It’s also a scene that I could see in the MCU.
    Nope. not in the MCU. MCU has big censorship of blood and gore. Captain America 1 never mentioned the atomic bomb? X-Men actually showed it in the gory details. I will wait for Feige to open one of his movies with that type of stake and The Wolverine was PG 13. When we talk about how good or bad xmen films are, you used those story scenes,we don't shove down Rotten tomatoes that tells you nothing about the quality of a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Still more passionate than Feige and Gunn combined
    Gunn is a toss up. He did Scooby doo. Which were good movies in the worst ways. I will wait for Suicide Squad 2 to finally see how good or bad he is as a director, I can't tell from watching GOTG. I don't know how much of his talents were held back by Feige.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-07-2020 at 02:59 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    How much can Marvel-disney truly address? is how much not what can. They do okay with what can.
    They've addressed plenty. Colonalism, war profiteering, eco-terrorism, genocidal AI, terrorism, the War on Terror, governments overseeing super-powered entities, society infiltrated by white supremacy, self destructive tendencies and more.

Pixar has great movies but no chance, no way I am going to put pixar up there with Batman: Under the Redhood or Superman:Red son or Mask of the Phantom or The Killing Joke. all are great but are not the same. I won't even put Pixar with X-Men Evolution season 4.
    You'll find that a minority opinion. The Killing Joke is not looked favourably upon by Batman fans, even Batman TAS fans.

GOTG may deal with complexity but it is wrapped up in a bubbly persona, its sad that both Magneto and Starlord loose a parent at the beginning of their films but magneto becomes a reclusive cynical person with PTSDs issues riddled with anger, those themes of anger, ptsd, cynicalism, these are more complex themes to explore in a character regardless of the genre, comic books, drama, sci-fi, action.
    GOTG is a comedic space opera. Magneto isn't Starlord, he's Ronan the Accuser. In his opening scene he conveys a very serious man who's been damaged by war looking for vengeance and literally kills a person to spill blood for a ritual on his ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI5Pld2M-Ck

Nebula was broken by Thanos, and had a toxic relationship with her sister due to an upbringing that relied on Thanos punishing her by taking parts of her body away and who was psychologically in pieces from self hatred until she slowly was redeemed by working with heroes to kill her "father" and people giving her kindness. This is what Mystique should have been.

Marvel does not like this. starlord becomes a humour guy. both characters may have complexity but Magneto's own is something that was written more from a common adult experience POV, Star Lord was written from a kids POV, (the humor) Both may be good to different peoples but there is still a difference.
    Starlord's a main character, Magneto's a glorified guest star who's popular with the audience - aside from First Class. Starlord is a man child in a comedic series, Magneto is a villain/anti-hero in a contemporary drama. That's the difference, and why they shouldn't be compared because they're made for differing expectations.

I will give this moment when Xavier tries to tell him to put aside Rage for once. Magneto could not do this. You will not find anything like with star lord for 2/3 of the GOTG or ever.

Because that's not what story they're trying to tell with Starlord. You will find humanising moments with Rocket Racoon who's a self destructive mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yOBa2h5bdk

Starlord fails to experience a moment like this because of the death of his mum. Marvel has to keep him funny all the time to water that away. What this does is make Magneto more believable as a character than star lord ever will be. Magneto is 1 out 4 people on earth. Star lord is more of a pure fantasy character to young kids, who still don't know how very cruel the world is. the complete opposite of Magneto or Rogue.
    First Class had a scene with a joke about Xavier and Magneto visiting Wolverine and he tells them to F- off. Both GOTG and X-men are ensembles, and Magneto isn't the true lead of X-men the original movies are about Wolverine the second movies are about young Xavier, and to a lesser extent Mystique. Starlord isn't the defining type of character for the MCU, that'd be Tony Stark. Magneto's not average in the X-men universe by any stretch, he's a terrorist who gets preferential treatment because Xavier likes him. How many people did he kill as Apocalypse Horseman? I lost count. Not that X-men aren't able to be funny, they just don't have humour like GOTG does since it's not a light hearted comedy.

I will always give Winter Solider A effort, it is the best MCU has done trying to movie away from their formula , but this movie is not X-Men not in story content, characters arcs or filming. Winter Solider is a basis though but with some tight restrictions.
    Many X-men movies aren't as good as the Winter Soldier.

The colour stuff is Disney. It's not marvel. so yeah, I am a big no to this one. DC should even been more colourful than Marvel.
    Disney isn't running Marvel. They may have mandates from time to time, but they're usually hands off.

I agree it would be nice if some posters were not allowed to take part in the thread, mostly posters who are just saying completely false things about Fox movies to make Kevin Feige look like this big savour coming to save X-Men, when he is not.
    Nobody is saying Feige is a big saviour, those are your words. It's a straw man. They're just disagreeing with your opinion on the MCU.

Nope. not in the MCU. MCU has big censorship of blood and gore. Captain America 1 never mentioned the atomic bomb? X-Men actually showed it in the gory details. I will wait for Feige to open one of his movies with that type of stake and The Wolverine was PG 13. When we talk about how good or bad xmen films are, you used those story scenes,we don't shove down Rotten tomatoes that tells you nothing about the quality of a movie.
    GOTG had more blood than The Dark Knight. Blood and gore don't make something mature. X-men isn't a gore franchise, it's not Saw. X-men 2 had Wolverine stabbing people with no blood. Rotten Tomatoes is a aggregate of professional reviews, and that is a good method of finding out quality movies if you know critics who have the same tastes. Except the bad X-men films are overlooked in this post, when it got really bad for years and ended in a whimper. The Wolverine also had a bad third act, I like that movie but it's far from perfect.

Gunn is a toss up. He did Scooby doo. Which were good movies in the worst ways. I will wait for Suicide Squad 2 to finally see how good or bad he is as a director, I can't tell from watching GOTG. I don't know how much of his talents were held back by Feige.
    Have you seen any of his movies besides Scooby-Doo and GOTG? Gunn released trailers for Suicide Squad 2, we know what vibe he's going for and it's not identical to the first movie.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 09-07-2020 at 07:53 AM.

We’re done here. We’ve had this argument a million times on this board.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.