Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Wasn't he around the early Fox X-men movies in some sort of capacity as well?
    He was a production assistant turned Executive Producer on the early X films and a few of the pre MCU films as well. He didn't have a lot of control at all, but I think the few surface elements that were like the comics (Wolverine's hair for example) were because of his input. These early experiences are what led to his role in Marvel Studios!

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I don't care if Wolverine gets his own corner in the MCU to go wild, I just want opportunities for the rest of the characters. Wolverine has always had his own series, keep most of the love in there, but treat the team balanced.

Sort like how DP and him are acting right now, they are not eating up tons of story focus in DoX.
    I agree with this. Wolverine getting a trilogy of solo films won't bother me. Turning the X-Men films into a second stealth trilogy of Wolverine films would.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I think you are forgetting that Feige, unfortunately answers to people higher than him, he doesnt own Disney. Also, the reason that female representation has been slow coming in the MCU is MOSTLY due to controversial marvel ceo Ike Perlmutter. Since 2015/16, Feige has had general freedom with what gets offered to Disney's plate. Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Jane Foster Thor, Valkyrie, Eternals are all parts in changing that. In fact I would say the bigger problem at the moment is the representation of POC Women. Having said that, with characters like Storm, Jubilee, Kwannon, Monet, and more X-men has huge potential to start changing that.
    Disney has been mostly hands off, didn’t even buy marvel until 2011 or so and you think there weren’t pushes for inclusion back in 2008? It’s not like having superheroes with non white heroes was unheard of. He didn’t need to make most of the avengers white. Much of the mcu takes from 1610 which had a more diverse avengers cast including Sam Jackson Nick Fury. He could’ve used Antonio Stark considering most of his character is from 1610 but didn’t. He could’ve used Janet Pym who was asian but again didn’t and when she was introduced she was white. Hell he couldve introduced Carol fat sooner. So don’t act like he had no opportunity to include more PoC to the roster. Like i love how any criticism towards Feige is deflected to disney or sony or marvel creative committee. Also Perlmutter is Israeli why would he want only white characters when he is a PoC?

WB is arguably more of a stickler and yet they were fine with Snyder changing the races of half the JL well before this marvel inclusion initiative

Incredible Member

How do you get that impression when the MCU has two female solo films (Captain Marvel, Black Widow) and some of the most memorable scenes in the Infinity Saga come from characters like Wanda and Gamora.

The next point is indeed stupid and horrible, but Disney for all it's pretenses is still a money making company, so they are going to prioritize that. still stupid decision though

And while I do think it's unrealistic to expect the X-Men to develop every character in it's library, a better effort could've been made then making the films Wolverine and friends. Then focusing Charles, Magneto and Mystique, the latter two being more villains historically than proper X-Men until this last decade.
    Oh wow 2 movies they’re really changing the game. It took them 10 years to make a female centric movie and Gamora hasn’t done anything memorable. Wanda could’ve been cool but they constantly drag her down. I can certainly name more memorable moments from Storm and Jean than either of those 2. It didn’t have to be this way

How would making movies about non white or male heroes be risky? You act like there has never been any non white or female superhero movies. Again any criticism to Feige gets deflected to other powers that be so he gets all the credit for the good but none of the criticism

Well it’s a good thing the prequel trilogy (or 4 movies?) didn’t focus on Wolvie relegating him to cameos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Disney has been mostly hands off, didn’t even buy marvel until 2011 or so and you think there weren’t pushes for inclusion back in 2008? It’s not like having superheroes with non white heroes was unheard of.
    In 2008 it still was. Representation in media really took off in the 2010s. That was the decade of Sam Wilson as Captain America, Jane Foster as Thor, Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales.

In the case of the first Avengers movie...representation wasn't as much of an issue as much as making a movie of that kind for the first time ever. There had never been a crossover superhero team-up movie made before then.

I think I read that the situation with Hank and Janet was because Edgar Wright had a specific plan for them. The reason why they are that old and are replaced by Scott Lang and Hope is because that was the story he wanted.

I'm looking forward to the MCU X-Men as the Fox version left a lot to be desired and I wasn't a big fan. But they had years with that property anyway, so there is no problem seeing what the MCU does imo.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I'm mainly excited because he seems to be able to develop a team better then Fox did. Even if the focus is Cap, Iron Man and Thor, all the other character shave very good moments. I'm also excited for how they will look. The uniforms from the MCU all feel comic accurate. As for in the Fox X-Men universe the only looks that were good and similar to the comics were Deadpool and Psylocke.

What I'm not very excited for is the tone...I hope it's not as silly as the Avengers where half of the cast are white funny guys.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Incredible Member

In 6 movies? It's not easy, but it's possible. And no one cuffed or forced Fox to keep it that way.

Disney has done it because they branch off and have a set plan for their characters. Characters like Wanda, Hulk, etc... get development by playing supporting to main roles in films that are not their own. They have had plan and a willingness to expand their universe.

I mean, it's not like the comics have a model of branching their characters into different teams to allow everyone a chance to shine that Fox could have used once they saw the franchise was a success! ...

Fox stuck and pigeon-holed their a huge number of characters into 6 movies and only gave screen time to four, that's on them. They've been in the superhero film game longer than Disney but still failed so spectacularly at being able to develop any of them.
    Hulk and Wanda got development? Yeah sure they did. Hulk’s development happened off screen and Scarlet Witch has been nothing but “the op one but does nothing op”. The problem i see is everyone complains that their favorite X Man wasn’t shown more. There needed to be more Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Angel, Jubilee, Dazzler, Colossus, Kitty, Nightcrawler, Beast and the list goes on. The fact is there are two types of characters in the mcu. The ones who are beloved and the other ones. Find me one person who think War Machine or Wanda are their favorite heroes from the movies. and if moments define these characters o can think of some cool moments for Scott and Ororo but they’re just that moments. The problem with the x men is they’re overcrowded and along with that typically deal with heavy issues that need time to develop. Things are going to be cut. Singer tried to develop Scott in X2 but most of his scenes didn’t really add to the plot so they had to go. Scott was suppose to play a bigger role but Marsden wanted to follow Singer for Superman Returns. And Apocalypse and to an extent Dark Phoenix set up Scott as more of a leader so it’s not like Singer/Fox/whoever weren’t trying

Dude comic books are cheap to produce meaning marvel comics can make 20 different x men titles with different teams. movies can’t.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In 2008 it still was. Representation in media really took off in the 2010s. That was the decade of Sam Wilson as Captain America, Jane Foster as Thor, Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales.

In the case of the first Avengers movie...representation wasn't as much of an issue as much as making a movie of that kind for the first time ever. There had never been a crossover superhero team-up movie made before then.
    No dude that isn’t true. People have been calling for inclusion since the 80s. Why do you think things like Power Rangers or X Men or Captain Planet had perfectly diverse casts? Why do you think the JL animated series replaced Hal and Arthur with John and Sheyera? Why do you think DC made Cyborg a founding member in the new 52? Even the Ultimates made the Avengers more diverse in 2001

But again the Avengers didn’t have to be entirely white

Disney has been mostly hands off, didn’t even buy marvel until 2011 or so and you think there weren’t pushes for inclusion back in 2008? It’s not like having superheroes with non white heroes was unheard of. He didn’t need to make most of the avengers white. Much of the mcu takes from 1610 which had a more diverse avengers cast including Sam Jackson Nick Fury. He could’ve used Antonio Stark considering most of his character is from 1610 but didn’t. He could’ve used Janet Pym who was asian but again didn’t and when she was introduced she was white. Hell he couldve introduced Carol fat sooner. So don’t act like he had no opportunity to include more PoC to the roster. Like i love how any criticism towards Feige is deflected to disney or sony or marvel creative committee. Also Perlmutter is Israeli why would he want only white characters when he is a PoC?

WB is arguably more of a stickler and yet they were fine with Snyder changing the races of half the JL well before this marvel inclusion initiative
    I mean, the push for inclusion wasn't as big then as it is now. It's well known that Perlmutter didn't think that women-centered movies would make money, and it has also been rumoured that it was his decision to replace Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle because "All black people look the same". Perlmutter, like many billionaires and CEOs, is purely money driven. He was looking at films like Catwoman and Elektra as examples. Feige literally couldn't do a lot of the above because of Perlmutter. And as I've said in my previous post, i agree that the biggest problem is that Feige hasn't included a variety of POC women. Antonio Stark isn't necessarily much better than Anthony Stark - Antonio is still shown as American, not overtly Italian-American except the name. Also, Perlmutter as CEO had absolute control. If he wanted POC, he would have gotten them.
    You have this idea where you think anybody who's excited for anything MCU is a Feige shill, when people are just excited to have fun, exciting adaptations of their favourite characters. It ain't that deep. I know you're a fan of the 1610 stuff, and MCU borrowed elements of it to modernise Avengers, but outside of a few aesthetic things that was it. After Avengers (2012), things shifted slowly toward more 616 stuff.

What's your point about WB? They don't have rights over X-Men, so you're going off topic. Nice. I could give you a few examples of how Marvel Studios' efforts in diversity have (so far) had more of an important effect on society, but this is not a MCU vs DCEU thread, so I won't. I won't be commenting on this further.

Dboi, you have a really unhealthy obsession of starting threads just so you can question opinions that you don't like. It's really not needed, and genuinely strange. You ask people to give their opinions on things, and then immediately try to butt heads about it. Why?

Hulk and Wanda got development? Yeah sure they did. Hulk’s development happened off screen and Scarlet Witch has been nothing but “the op one but does nothing op”. The problem i see is everyone complains that their favorite X Man wasn’t shown more. There needed to be more Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Angel, Jubilee, Dazzler, Colossus, Kitty, Nightcrawler, Beast and the list goes on. The fact is there are two types of characters in the mcu. The ones who are beloved and the other ones. Find me one person who think War Machine or Wanda are their favorite heroes from the movies. and if moments define these characters o can think of some cool moments for Scott and Ororo but they’re just that moments. The problem with the x men is they’re overcrowded and along with that typically deal with heavy issues that need time to develop. Things are going to be cut. Singer tried to develop Scott in X2 but most of his scenes didn’t really add to the plot so they had to go. Scott was suppose to play a bigger role but Marsden wanted to follow Singer for Superman Returns. And Apocalypse and to an extent Dark Phoenix set up Scott as more of a leader so it’s not like Singer/Fox/whoever weren’t trying

Dude comic books are cheap to produce meaning marvel comics can make 20 different x men titles with different teams. movies can’t.
    Bruh, no one's saying everyone will get their due, people are just hopeful that there won't be any more X-Men films that center solely on Logan/Charles/Erik. Wolverine is my favourite comic book character and even I can admit that other characters should have had more to do. I've always had a soft spot for the FOX films, but they aren't perfect, and the fact is, the MCU has a glowing record in making previously unknown/less popular characters into household names. People just want there to be a chance for that, and there is with someone like Feige steering the ship.

But again the Avengers didn’t have to be entirely white
    Fox didn't have to literally, graphically, explode black men two films in a row.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Bruh, no one's saying everyone will get their due, people are just hopeful that there won't be any more X-Men films that center solely on Logan/Charles/Erik. Wolverine is my favourite comic book character and even I can admit that other characters should have had more to do. I've always had a soft spot for the FOX films, but they aren't perfect, and the fact is, the MCU has a glowing record in making previously unknown/less popular characters into household names. People just want there to be a chance for that, and there is with someone like Feige steering the ship.
    Pretty much this.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Fantastic Member

well I personally disagree the mcu has been hit or miss when it comes to depicting characters. Iron Man and Captain America are fantastic but they never could hit the sweet spot with Thor or Hulk both of which going through huge personality changes. They also dropped Hank and Jan from the Avengers and made them bland old mentor types to Scott and Hope.

I thought the original X Trilogy was fantastic with First Class and DoFP also being amazing. Sure there have been some stinkers
    The original trilogy had its flaws. Storm and Cyclops for one. Need I quote Storm asking what happens to a toad...gagg. Then X3 was just a terrible movie. Not to mention Wolverine Origins. Then Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.

Even the Ultimates made the Avengers more diverse in 2001
    How did Ultimates make Avengers more diverse, Ultimates was Iron Man,Thor, Hulk, Widow, Antman, Wasp, Hawkeye same old white squad. Only token Nick Fury is around who appears in the film you are criticizing is around.