Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Fox has done so much damage to the X-Men brand. It's hard to see Feige bring financial success after the franchise has been tainted.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    There is plenty to criticise Feige for, but don't stand up for the billionaire sexist and racist that stopped him doing things. It ain't a good look.
    That is good to hear from you

I'll admit that Stark's character seems more like Ultimate Stark, but I'd praise RDJ for that moreso due to the improv aspect of the script. Obviously the mcu is its own thing now, but the storylines that it adapts are primarily 616 based. That goes for phase 1 as well, come to think of it.
    I'll give you that the sole reason why I like movie Iron Man over 616 and 1610 Iron Man is because of RDJ though 1610 laid most of the ground work for the self absorbed and alcoholic playboy billionaire (though I liked 1610 iron man's motivation better)

Even with many of the storylines being from 616 they are vastly different. Like the only similarity between the Civil Wars are the names and heroes occasionally fighting. Comics civil war went much more in detail about the accords while the movie drops it after the first act. The comics have Spidey reveal his identity while the movie does no such thing. Also keep in mind the Ultimates were a limited series before Marvel re-branded it as Ultimate Comics. The Ultimates trilogy were essentially self contained movies so you really only have 3 stories to pull from. 2 of those are very much products of the 2000s dealing with the Bush administration, oil wars and growing concerns over the west taking advantage of poorer nations and the third one being needlessly edgy garbage. So of course Marvel uses the 50+ years of Avengers stories from the main universe over two 13 issues series that were products of their time

I don't understand what you're saying here? Are you asking this in retalliation to what I said about Perlmutter? If so, the only say he would have had was on Fury being black and possibly Ancient One being white. Samuel Jackson is a big name who had a good box office record, and Ancient One being white as you said, unfortunately panders to the Chinese market (which I hate, but that's what big movie studios are doing sadly). Either way, neither of them had the lead roles in their movies. Perlmutter was not consulted for the other examples you stated because by that point Feige no longer answered to him.
    Let me clarify. You mentioned there was no point in making Stark latino because he never acted or was distinctly ethnic that he was still just american in the Ultimates. Well I'm saying if there was no reason to make Stark from white to latino then why make these other changes?

I said it has had more of an important effect on society in relation to its efforts in diversity. Black Panther and Captain Marvel are testament to that. Anyway, as I said, wrong thread.
    well I disagree. They only made a billion dollars because of the brand loyalty. Ill leave it at that

Surprisingly, your comments implied it. Just because you don't say something doesn't mean you aren't implying it. Yeah because you're criticising him for the wrong things. And also creating a thread just to criticise the guy on a topic that people generally have hopes for. You have created a thread that is a trojan horse for your negative opinion, just to try and argue with people about why they're excited about something they deem as positive. Your past threads have often done this. You seem have a bone to pick with the MCU and you just can't seem to move on and let people enjoy things without questioning them about it. I don't understand it.
    No i implied nothing. Whenever I talk to anyone about the mcu and complain about anything they never blame Feige. I don't know if they are a shill or not but all I know is there is always a scapegoat for any complaint I have with the MCU. Like Kathleen Kennedy is at the forefront of all complaints about Star Wars and yet Feige never is for marvel

I actually enjoy many things about the mcu. And no I am not here to argue with everyone. Even then what is the point of these forums if everyone agrees? I am speaking my mind and only respond to a couple of people so I apologize if I come off aggressive. I won't try to change your mind just to have a civil discussion
    Last edited by Dboi2001; 08-29-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    People have called for a lot of things long before the '80s. There's a difference between calling for something and movement and changes in the mainstream that respond to those calls. Diversity and representation in franchise media really became mainstream in the last decade. That much is inarguable. It's the first time stuff people have talked about and criticized decades back are finally having their voices heard and changes reflected based on what they long argued.
    I'd say things are not any more or less diverse now than they were in the 90s or 2000s. And back in 2008 there most certainly were people pushing for more diversity, point being Marvel did not have to wait so long. Like Claremont's X-Men in the 80s made a big deal about its diverse new cast instead of being 5 white middle to upper class americans

Cartoon shows like that, owing to the lack of pressure of "representing the brand" often have freedom especially with characters like Green Lantern and Hawkgirl who are totally obscure and unknown. With Power Rangers considering it originated in Japan it would be bizarre for it not to have diversity. As for Captain Planet...well it's kind of a kids' show mixed with PSA.
    What? Justice League is the face of DC Comics. And at the time Kyle was one of the 7 in JLA who was mexican-american. Tbf with Green Lantern Hal was dead for 8 years at that point so there wouldn't be much point to use him so they went with the contemporary option same goes for Wally West replacing Barry. As for why they used John instead of Kyle who appeared on the Superman animated show idk.

Why would it be bizarre for Power Rangers not to have diversity? I mean plenty of american shows feature homogeneous casts. PR did not need to be diverse but it was because they saw they'd have a wider audience appealing to all types of people instead of just one

Considering how poorly Ultimate Wasp was treated in that comic, it's not much to boast for her being PoC.[/QUOTE]

I thought Wasp was awesome in Ultimates 1 and 2. She was a scientist, making her a mutant was cool and she got to become huge in the final fight. But yeah being eaten by Blob was stupid

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Something which comes to my mind thinking back to how the MCU was formed and how it managed to turn the Guardians of the Galaxy into a household name, is how vastly different the MCU take on the X-men might end up being, compared to what one would assume based on the comics.

I have the feeling some fans will be quite dissapointed or upset if their take on the X-men franchise doesn't follow the comics very strictly or even disregard the "hirarchy" of character popularity in which get chosen for roles, even though at this point it might end up being very possible.

For example the first mutant team could end up being the All New All Different cast, without Wolverine. But instead of going to Krakoa, they are gathered by Storm from various "drifters" as a team for a heist.
    Their target being an organization named KRAKOA which deals in stolen cultural heritage art (including some pieces from the communtiy which raised her) to fund super soldier experiments. Further the post credit sequence showing Nick Fury talking to a "professor" about the teams exploit and the chance of recruiting them, but then it turns out he talks to a middle aged Jean Grey, with the next movie revealing the X-men were formed in the 80's and by present day Charles Xavier died of old age with Jean taking his job as leader of the unformed X-men.

Or the MCU X-men could be heavily inspired by X-men Evolution, simply because the director liked that cartoon the most of the X-men ones.

Simply put. It would be well adviced for everyone looking forward to the Marvel Studios take on the X-men to expect any kind of direction.
    Regarding that bolded part, that just feels like threatening me with a good time. I've actually been saying that the X-Men movies in the MCU should take inspiration from X-Men Evolution. Partially because the MCU is actually short on young heroes and partially because the coming-of-age/teen aspect of the franchise has only been touched on and never particularly well by the Fox movies.

I suppose you're right that they could do anything, but considering how this franchise is still fairly well-known, I imagine it won't be anything too drastic. I imagine it will be a more ethnically diverse cast. This could mean that there's some cross-race casting for previously white characters or could mean that some characters normally on the fringes get called up to the main cast. (One of the strange things about the X-Men is how a comic about tolerance and acceptance tends to rely on mostly white characters while the more diverse ones occupy the splinter teams or were core members during runs that aren't thought highly of). They may also err on the side of trying to make things more cinematic, ie more visually distinct or potentially iconic looks, powers and personalities.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Compare Scott and Ororo in the comics to their Fox-men versions. Fox failed them utterly, and they are the leaders of the team. Feige's Tony and Steve are better than their comics counterparts. Feige elevated them. I can't wait to see his Cyke and Storm!
    Exactly this. I can only hope some X-people do *half* as well as Tony and Steve have done.

There have been flashes of great potential in the Fox X-films, but they've been, IMO, held back by a lack of focus. They seem to have gotten seduced by whichever characters / actors got the best reaction, and the movies got increasingly focused on them, over the story, so that they turned into vehicles for Wolverine, Mystique, Magneto and Xavier, with the inevitable must-have speed-sequence from Quicksilver. It was like movies-designed-by-Twitter, the most popular elements from past films all smooshed together, and to hell with the story, and all those characters who didn't make a big splash in their first appearance (like Cyclops or Storm).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Two moves better than Fox ever did. What memorable moments for Jean and Storm? lol they are both poor characters in the Fox films
    Black Widow isn't even out yet dude. As for Captain Marvel being better than all of Fox films that is your opinion, most would disagree greatly. And Jean and Storm did have great moments and just as much character develop as Carol in half the screen time

Um Hulk got tons of development in Thor 3. Comedy relief yet, but you see the dichotomy of his personality pretty clear in that film and how Banner feels about his role in the team versus them caring about what Hulk can do and insecurities that play into that (for both of them actually). Hulk has played major roles since the start of the film franchise so this comment is ???.
    Well I disagree especially when Hulk goes away for half the movie not to mention how Thor changes personalities (seriously between Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgames Thor changes personality 3 times). I think the most egregious part is having him and Banner merge off screen

As for Wanda she accidentally killed a bunch of people that directly played into the development of the Accords and the main plot, had a romance with Vision, and had tons of action in the Infinity Saga. She has her own TV series planned that will further develop her and from what we know of Doctor Strange she's going to play a big role there too.
    Those are just things she does not character growth. Just because she does something doesn't make her a good character. That is like me saying "well Jean saves Logan's life, had a love triangle with Scott and Logan, had some good action scenes and became the Phoenix in Last Stand"

Didn't I just explain why Disney's approach is better than Fox's because they bother to expand? No one told Fox to pigeon hole the X-Men into one team when they could've developed X-Factor, X-Force, Blue & Gold, etc... and built an entire franchise out of them way sooner. Instead Disney took that idea and ran with it, making Fox look like fools (which they were) that repeated story-lines with added poor characterization.
    So you think Fox should have made 4 X Men movies at the same time? First off do I need to explain the logistical difficulties of having 4 team movies every so often? That is way different than giving a handful of characters solo movies. You still get the problem where not everyone can shine. More movies is not always better movies. Not to mention people would get burnt out really fast. At least with marvel movies it is different genres and characters with X-men and its spin offs they all come off as being fairly similar

Incredible Member

I don't know, Millar has always given me that egotistical vibe, so although it could have been a joke, I still feel like he was vying for those as possible castings. Same goes for Brad Pitt, Jonny Depp, and McConaughey. But that's just my reading of it. Again, it didn't seem to be much of his identity to be Italian American, just an easy way to make him different to 616 Stark. Could have been so about Hitch!
    I mean Millar is pretty self deprecating at times. He even has Steve admit to Fury at the end of the Ultimates that the France line was stupid

Mighty Member

Given that Fox did things which outright infuriated me (Dark Phoenix's handling of Jean, everything about Storm, killing the First Class mutants, Mystique), forgive me for being optimistic. At least Feige has experience with the X-Men films since he did work on the first few films.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Regarding that bolded part, that just feels like threatening me with a good time. I've actually been saying that the X-Men movies in the MCU should take inspiration from X-Men Evolution. Partially because the MCU is actually short on young heroes and partially because the coming-of-age/teen aspect of the franchise has only been touched on and never particularly well by the Fox movies.

I suppose you're right that they could do anything, but considering how this franchise is still fairly well-known, I imagine it won't be anything too drastic. I imagine it will be a more ethnically diverse cast. This could mean that there's some cross-race casting for previously white characters or could mean that some characters normally on the fringes get called up to the main cast. (One of the strange things about the X-Men is how a comic about tolerance and acceptance tends to rely on mostly white characters while the more diverse ones occupy the splinter teams or were core members during runs that aren't thought highly of). They may also err on the side of trying to make things more cinematic, ie more visually distinct or potentially iconic looks, powers and personalities.
    I mean the X Men were diverse in the 80s coming from all corners of the globe. It just happened a lot of them were majority white countries. Also ethnicity means where you are from not race

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Exactly this. I can only hope some X-people do *half* as well as Tony and Steve have done.

There have been flashes of great potential in the Fox X-films, but they've been, IMO, held back by a lack of focus. They seem to have gotten seduced by whichever characters / actors got the best reaction, and the movies got increasingly focused on them, over the story, so that they turned into vehicles for Wolverine, Mystique, Magneto and Xavier, with the inevitable must-have speed-sequence from Quicksilver. It was like movies-designed-by-Twitter, the most popular elements from past films all smooshed together, and to hell with the story, and all those characters who didn't make a big splash in their first appearance (like Cyclops or Storm).
    again dude you are comparing apples to oranges. Also Steve and Tony took so much screen time from other characters and became more apparent as the series went on. I'd put Scott and Ororo in the same boat as Thor and Hulk

Incredible Member

And we all want to see those outfits.
    You say that like the MCU is always accurate with their costume designs

Spectacular Member

I have faith because it's gonna be a big deal when they finally make the X-Men movie. I'm excited for Eternals, Thor 4, Shang-Chi, Dr. Strange 2 etc. but there is no denying there is a sense of Marvel being in a holding pattern at the moment. The comedown from Endgame was inevitable and the next few movies just don't feel like events in the same way they did before. Even the movies we know are coming, Captain Marvel 2, Guardians 3, Ant-Man 3....they're just sequels or trilogy cappers. I'm variously pumped for all of them but nothing feels HUGE the way the Avengers movies always did.

X-Men will.

It's clear given their investment in Hickman that Marvel is committed to making X-Men a big deal again and part of that is unquestionably the knowledge that the MCU version is coming.

I've read that some worry that Feige won't be as excited or energized now that he's told "his story" in the Infinity Gems. But that's not always how successful people work. There can often be a desire to one-up oneself. Instead of deflating it can be motivating.

Look who knows what his future at the company is...it seems likely he will move on eventually, probably to a more prominent role in the Disney corporation, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if he is heavily motivated to make Fantastic Four and X-Men successes at Disney. Then, given his work on Spider-Man for Sony, he really would have done it all. I could not be more excited for MCU X-Men...I cannot wait.

Incredible Member

Bruh, no one's saying everyone will get their due, people are just hopeful that there won't be any more X-Men films that center solely on Logan/Charles/Erik. Wolverine is my favourite comic book character and even I can admit that other characters should have had more to do. I've always had a soft spot for the FOX films, but they aren't perfect, and the fact is, the MCU has a glowing record in making previously unknown/less popular characters into household names. People just want there to be a chance for that, and there is with someone like Feige steering the ship.
    Again popularity does not indicate quality. Literally one person here listed 10 characters who didn't get their dues. I know I'm in the minority but I always liked the other X Men in the movies and in fact Cyclops was always my favorite. Sure it would've been nice to get more screen time but these movies cram a lot of stuff into 2 hours. The other problem with Scott is he is more of the tactician meaning he isn't always in the action directly. On top of that Xavier has been the bigger focus on the political parts which the movies heavily go into. I just don't see the need to bash the originals to build up the MCU. And again other avengers like Thor, Hulk and Hawkeye were marginalized in those movies too. Yes they focused a bit more on Wolverine but that is because he acts as the gateway for the audience. The real focus is on the theme and prejudices in society but since Logan is mostly ignorant or apathetic to them he is the way to explain things to the audience whereas Scott is already an X Man. I do hope the first X Men movie is a period piece in the 80s or 90s and has the original 5 then jumping to present day where Xavier and Erik have passed, Jean has taken over the academy/made her own and Scott is now a veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    again dude you are comparing apples to oranges. Also Steve and Tony took so much screen time from other characters and became more apparent as the series went on. I'd put Scott and Ororo in the same boat as Thor and Hulk
    Hulk, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye had storylines in Avengers movies what was Storm and Nightcrawler storyline in the last set of movies? X-men movies focused on about 3 characters per film where Avengers focused on about 6 or 7 per film. And Avengers heavily did pairing of characters as opposed to X-men single out one character for focus. I can't think of character other than Iceman who grew as character because of a storyline. Even Nebula got some growth in the MCU.

It is not like they didn't have time to focus on Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, They choose to focus on Magneto,Xavier,Mystique and Beast. They choose to make Mystique a leader because of Jlaw, Cyclops was pushed to side because Micheal Fassenbender is the truth as actor and Jlaw who looked disinterested in X-franchise at this point was pushed to forefront. Imagine if the Avenger focus on Maria Hill and Nick fury instead of Black Widow and Captain America.

Almost forgot Angel was treated like trash in the fox series, They never build a connection to main group of characters so both times they used him. You never got to care for his storyline. They never build connection to Jean with anyone other than Scott and Wolverine so you never felt anything for when she start to go Phoenix because other characters don't have a connection. They never build on Rogue/Mystique or Mystique/Nightcrawler angles. Imagine the fact that Azazel, Mystique, Sabertooth, Nightcrawler, and Rogue were in movies together and they had no real interactions. Also lets talk about them never doing anything Magneto and Quicksilver. People have reason beyond some Fox/Marvel thing to want to see MCU approach to X-men. Imagine how stupid it was for them to establish Psylocke in previous movie have near perfect actor playing the part and in the next movie they use character they called to be Selene who was used a telepath not hellfire club member or set up from big time villain instead of just using Psylocke. Imagine Magneto has a million Acolytes/Brotherhood members and they choose to create new Red Lotus character.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-29-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Black Widow isn't even out yet dude. As for Captain Marvel being better than all of Fox films that is your opinion, most would disagree greatly. And Jean and Storm did have great moments and just as much character develop as Carol in half the screen time
    We had seen trailer(s) and know it was coming out but has been delayed due to this pandemic. So yes, I'm counting it. Still two female characters with solo movies is more than anything Fox can say.

Also when did I say Captain Marvel was better than all the Fox films? I brought up these movies to show Disney giving female character opportunities and focus, not to their quality. Though really, I would still say Captain Marvel had better written female characters than the Fox X-Women even if she was average at best. The Fox X-Women are just THAT terrible. So sad that Fox lowers the bar that much.

Well I disagree especially when Hulk goes away for half the movie not to mention how Thor changes personalities (seriously between Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgames Thor changes personality 3 times). I think the most egregious part is having him and Banner merge off screen
    Hulk has not had the most consistent development, as it's clear different directors have different ideas and interpretations of the character, but it's over all been fine. Sort of like how modern comics have different takes on the character. Again, I do appreciate them delving into the differences between the personas more and making it clear that Hulk wants his own independence and to be acknowledged as an individual. Though yes, I think it would've worked better to see the merge but then again the entire point of End Game was half time shenanigans

I think for Thor, Taika Waititi's interpretation was well-received and obviously satisfied public audiences better than Alan Taylor and Kenneth Branagh.

Those are just things she does not character growth. Just because she does something doesn't make her a good character. That is like me saying "well Jean saves Logan's life, had a love triangle with Scott and Logan, had some good action scenes and became the Phoenix in Last Stand"
    I disagree, a static character is something that does not change and Wanda has changed within the MU. She went from villain henchwoman, to rookie hero who made a big mistake, to much more confident and powerful hero who feels more comfortable with who she is. Though with Vision being dead and all the carnage of Endgame, she'll likely regress and show off her instability going into her TV series.

Like Hulk, it's not been the most consistent, but it's there. And she's a much less static or one dimensional character than Jean or Storms. Jean has same the same struggle with her power but it's extremely rushed and then she turns into a note supervillain. The original franchise focused entirely on romance with Wolverine, we hardly got to know Jean at all. In First Class, she got so little scream time and again they rushed the DP saga. Fox made the same mistake with her twice, trying to make us care about her when we hardly know the freaking character.

Storm doesn't have any personality in the films and the most she got do was in X3, one of the most railed films in the franchise. Her portrayals has been horrible.

So you think Fox should have made 4 X Men movies at the same time? First off do I need to explain the logistical difficulties of having 4 team movies every so often? That is way different than giving a handful of characters solo movies. You still get the problem where not everyone can shine. More movies is not always better movies. Not to mention people would get burnt out really fast. At least with marvel movies it is different genres and characters with X-men and its spin offs they all come off as being fairly similar
    They had two decades worth of time to do something with the franchise but they wasted it.

Oh it's so difficult yet Disney can do it like every year... and now every film company and their mother wants to replicate creating a serial franchise because they see what a success it was. Heck Fox was beginning to make plans as well (New Mutants) but it was way too late by this point.

Also no, more movies does not mean better movies, but neither does fewer movies. The Fox movies prove this. Most of them were horrible. I rather they get more opportunities than pigeon hole them to a few films every decade which has more chance of handling a movie worse.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 08-29-2020 at 09:27 PM.