Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman - Four Cheetahs?

With Diana's expanded history now cannon in the DCU and the initial success of Batman: Three Jokers, I'm wondering if now would be a good time for DC to publish a Wonder Woman: Four Cheetahs book which covers Diana's history battling the four people that have used the name Cheetah over the decades: Priscilla Rich, Debbie Domaine, Barbara Minerva, and Sebastian Ballesteros? What do the rest of you think?

Of course it could be done by the same creative team of Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok or they could switch Jason out for someone like Phil Jimenez, Nicola Scott, or Gary Frank.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The issue the two most popular are Priscilla and Barbara. The others aren’t. In Joker all three are more popular

Meh. If the 3 Jokers thing works it's because there's the element of surprise and mystery because we've always believed it was the same guy.

A Cheetah rumble really doesn't have anything to offer. I certainly wouldn't trust Geoff Johns to handle anything with Wonder Woman's mythology.

And...just speaking for myself...I think the whole 3 Jokers thing is dumb anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Meh. If the 3 Jokers thing works it's because there's the element of surprise and mystery because we've always believed it was the same guy.

A Cheetah rumble really doesn't have anything to offer. I certainly wouldn't trust Geoff Johns to handle anything with Wonder Woman's mythology.

And...just speaking for myself...I think the whole 3 Jokers thing is dumb anyway.

This book wouldn't be about the Cheetahs fighting each other but rather Diana's various battles with them over the decades along with showing how the mantle was passed on(or stolen) from person to person. I wouldn't say no-one cares about Debbie Domaine. She just hasn't had much spotlight since the original Crisis. Geoff is well-known for taking Silver Age characters, dusting them off, and making them successful for modern times(i.e. Sinestro, Nekron, Black Manta, Ocean Master, Black Adam, isis, and even Vibe).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The only Cheetahs I think there'd be an interesting dynamic to explore would be Priscilla and Barbara.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    This book wouldn't be about the Cheetahs fighting each other but rather Diana's various battles with them over the decades along with showing how the mantle was passed on(or stolen) from person to person. I wouldn't say no-one cares about Debbie Domaine. She just hasn't had much spotlight since the original Crisis. Geoff is well-known for taking Silver Age characters, dusting them off, and making them successful for modern times(i.e. Sinestro, Nekron, Black Manta, Ocean Master, Black Adam, isis, and even Vibe).
    Yeah but Diana and her world usually been something of a weak spot for him. He got better with her characterization as the New 52 went on but his revamp for Barbara wasn't the best and his main contribution to her world aren't the best with Grail and Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Maybe have someone.....some new mysterious character, or maybe an old foe........do an introduction of sorts, talking about each fight, and then showing a reprint of the fight, going through all of the fights covering all 4 Cheetahs with commentary about the "hows", "whys", on WW, the Cheetah in question, etc.

Incredible Member

Personally, I'll love more "Year One" type adventures for Diana and Barbara Ann. I don't mean literally, but I would love to see more of Diana and Barbara Ann's dynamic before she turned into Cheetah. Maybe there could be some tragic dramatic irony with the book beginning with Barbara Ann becoming Cheetah but then rewinding to see our two heroines teaming up to defeat Ares, Circe, The Doctors, Baroness Von Gunther and a whole cadre of Diana's rogues. For me, that would be more interesting than characters who are long gone, erased and replaced in the Wonder Mythos. It also wouldn't feel like a cheap knockoff of Batman while still giving Barbara Ann her own compelling narrative as a villain.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Batman teams up with Barbara Gordon and Jason Todd. All 3 of them were hurt bad by the Jokers once. Who are Wonder Woman's Barbara and Jason? Is Urzkartaga behind all the Cheetahs?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Batman teams up with Barbara Gordon and Jason Todd. All 3 of them were hurt bad by the Jokers once. Who are Wonder Woman's Barbara and Jason? Is Urzkartaga behind all the Cheetahs?

Fury I, the Silver Swan(Vanessa), or Aphrodite?

I like the idea of exploring Priscilla Rich during WWII through the lens of how mental health was understood and practiced then.

Deborah Domaine’s origin always had some Patricia Hearst and Stockholm Syndrome vibes, so another lens of mental health to explore the character through.

Barbara Minerva has had issues in a couple incarnations, so I can see the same lens being applied to her.

I’d leave Sebastian out of it, but the other three could be fascinating tracking psychology and mental health through the 40s-80s.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I like the idea of exploring Priscilla Rich during WWII through the lens of how mental health was understood and practiced then.

Deborah Domaine’s origin always had some Patricia Hearst and Stockholm Syndrome vibes, so another lens of mental health to explore the character through.

Barbara Minerva has had issues in a couple incarnations, so I can see the same lens being applied to her.

I’d leave Sebastian out of it, but the other three could be fascinating tracking psychology and mental health through the 40s-80s.

Those aspects could definitely be a part of this story. One of Priscilla's best attributes was her unpredictability and her proneness to be irrational. This tale could tell the origins, motivations, and connection between all of the Cheetahs and how Diana has handled them over the decades.

Personally I'd rather have just one Cheetah, with Barbara's background and powers and Priscilla's motivation. Basically what the movie is doing. Maybe even have her start out in the costume (Alex Ross' version) and then gradually transform.

Incredible Member

IF Wonder Woman has once again been active since WWII, then I’d definitely be interested in exploring Priscilla Rich and Barbara Minerva. The others not so much.

But, I wouldn’t want Barbara to be influenced by Priscilla in any way, so I’m not sure how to “explain” the coincidence of two “Cheetah” villains with completely different origins, motivations and physical appearances.

The thing is Debrah adds nothing and the male cheetah also adds nothings. I mean Geoff helped write the Wonder Woman movie.

I'm just going to put it out there that the alternate identities concept from Nu52 was not a terrible write off of the other cheetahs.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor