Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Anyone see New Mutants this weekend?

Just curious. Didn't see a thread. If you did, what were your thoughts?
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Is this movie really out? It's not coming to VOD this week?

Just got back a few hours ago. It was me and one other person who arrive just as the movie started.

I liked it. Was it the greatest X-Men movie ever? No. But it was still entertaining, and I thought the cast was pretty solid (even if I haven't seen most of them in anything else). I've been a fan of Illyana for years, and I was ecstatic to see her brought to life (with Lockheed!).

I know Fox had marketed this as a horror movie, and there were some horror elements in it. But don't go in expecting Nightmare on Elm Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It's in theaters and has made $9 million I think this weekend. Honestly, I do wonder what the turnaround time will be for this to be on home video. I think it might be sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Just got back a few hours ago. It was me and one other person who arrive just as the movie started.

I know Fox had marketed this as a horror movie, and there were some horror elements in it. But don't go in expecting Nightmare on Elm Street.
    Good to know. I may like it more now and want to see it more.

Extraordinary Member

I thought the movie started out strong but but worse as it went on. The big reveal was painfully obvious when they released the first trailer back in 2017, so the mystery fell flat. Instead of being a true ensemble every character is defined by their relationship to Dani Moonstar so they don't have the depth they should. The movie is missing a few scenes that really could have fixed that problem. Plus many of the changes made to the characters were just terrible. The horror wasn't scary, maybe because everything that could have been scary was already in the trailers. And the ending was horrible.

On the plus side, the initial build-up of the first arc was pretty much, for the most part the actors were fine with what little material they were given to work with, and there are a couple of really cool action shots in the final act.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    From what I understand, it was contractually obligated to be released theatrically first. But that deal was made well before the pandemic struck, otherwise it would have been released VOD like Bill & Ted.

I saw it and I really enjoyed it. It’s not a perfect movie, but quite enjoyable. I liked it a lot more than Dark Phoenix.

The film nailed it with Illyana and I thought Rahne was also very well handled. Dani and Rahne’s story together was very sweet and the two had great chemistry. Roberto and Sam didn’t get as much development, but what was there was okay.

I’m a bit perplexed at how critics seem to be railing on this film so hard. Almost all of the critic reviews I’ve seen were scathing. I saw one review claim it was the worst X-Men movie ever.. clearly that reviewer didn’t see Wolverine Origins, Apocalypse, X3, or Dark Phoenix lol...

Saw it Friday night. For an evening showing on an opening weekend, and being the first real weekend with a somewhat major release since March, there was only about 5-7 people in the entire theater. Seems people just aren't ready to go to the movies yet. Understandable.

I know I'm in the minority of this, but I absolutely loved it. Probably the best X-Men movie, to me.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I thought the movie started out strong but but worse as it went on. The big reveal was painfully obvious when they released the first trailer back in 2017, so the mystery fell flat. Instead of being a true ensemble every character is defined by their relationship to Dani Moonstar so they don't have the depth they should. The movie is missing a few scenes that really could have fixed that problem. Plus many of the changes made to the characters were just terrible. The horror wasn't scary, maybe because everything that could have been scary was already in the trailers. And the ending was horrible.

On the plus side, the initial build-up of the first arc was pretty much, for the most part the actors were fine with what little material they were given to work with, and there are a couple of really cool action shots in the final act.
    I will grant you that most of the other characters had very little character development, and what we did get was mostly what traumatized them when their powers first manifested. Sam and Roberto especially felt thin. I didn't mind that they were almost all defined by their relationship to Dani, since she was our POV character into this world.

I never read New Mutants growing up, and looking at them now I have a hard time because I really don't like the artwork. So I really didn't mind the changes made to the characters. I especially liked Illyana's tweaked origins, as well as a new origin for Lockheed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I’m a bit perplexed at how critics seem to be railing on this film so hard. Almost all of the critic reviews I’ve seen were scathing. I saw one review claim it was the worst X-Men movie ever.. clearly that reviewer didn’t see Wolverine Origins, Apocalypse, X3, or Dark Phoenix lol...
    I'm not defending or attacking the movie or the critics, but I think it has to be said that there's also a severe shortage of reviews of the film simply because many critics and outlets (like the AV Club) refused to go to screenings for the sake of Covid -- and the studio didn't send out an advance screening to watch from home. (it's not personal, though -- many critics have been refusing screenings for other movies for the same reason).

Just saying that there's a chance that it seems critics are skewing one way because we're not seeing the usual crop of critics this time around.

Huh. I don't get rushing out to see this. I was curious, and interested when it was being made. But if the studio didn't think it was actually worth releasing, even as a Feb dump, then why would I potentially risk my health to go see it now? It is literally only being released because that had it sitting there and needed content.

None of the studios behavior on this one should really be rewarded, and certainly not at the risk of my health, and the potential health of others.

(not to kink shame anyone who went, but... like, whyyyyyy?)

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

There are a few things I didn't like about it, but overall I enjoyed it more than any non-Deadpool X-movie since X2.

As for the risk to health, I generally interact more with strangers when I buy groceries than I do when I see movies. I was not worried.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 08-31-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    (not to kink shame anyone who went, but... like, whyyyyyy?)
    There were less people at the theater I went to than most other places I've been. I'm more at risk going to Walmart right now than I was going to see that movie.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    There were less people at the theater I went to than most other places I've been. I'm more at risk going to Walmart right now than I was going to see that movie.
    Yep there maybe 5 other people in the showing I went to. I also went to see Train to Busan Peninsula and there were only 3 other people in that one. The theaters made sure everyone was spaced far apart and seemed to be taking all of the proper precautions. I felt comfortable going but I fully respect the decisions of people who do not feel comfortable.