Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I saw it and I really enjoyed it. It’s not a perfect movie, but quite enjoyable. I liked it a lot more than Dark Phoenix.

The film nailed it with Illyana and I thought Rahne was also very well handled. Dani and Rahne’s story together was very sweet and the two had great chemistry. Roberto and Sam didn’t get as much development, but what was there was okay.

I’m a bit perplexed at how critics seem to be railing on this film so hard. Almost all of the critic reviews I’ve seen were scathing. I saw one review claim it was the worst X-Men movie ever.. clearly that reviewer didn’t see Wolverine Origins, Apocalypse, X3, or Dark Phoenix lol...
    The movie is passable, I call it an unfortunate Venom with all the push back and reshoots. Another movie that was torn to shreds except Spiderman fans were smart enough to know what was going on. Critics are now part of the MCU machine.

They have been for a long time. they will superficially give every passable generic mcu unconvincing good reviews but tear down the passable fox , DC and Sony movies .I think critics did Sony and Fox a favour, they indirectly exposed the only true artful great marvel films.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-01-2020 at 01:05 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Was surprised to see all the negative reviews; thought it was pretty good. Not a game-changer, but a solid cast in a story that tries to do something new with the genre. Certainly better then the past few X-Men flicks (that does seem to be a pattern since Days of Future Past; the main movies are weak or bad, while the spinoffs are great).
    Surprised to see all the negative reviews?

Venom, Man of Steel, Joker ring a bell?

Do you think most of us are crazy when we say critics have an obvious bias?

critics stop being neutral a long time ago. they are part of the machine that wants to force sony and fox to give up every marvel rights to Disney and the best way to effect this is to always trash most of the fox and sony movies.

Aren't we pass the point where we understand that critics don't give a crap about who is making the movie (Wonder Woman 93% , Shazam 90%, Harley Quinn 78%) (Captain Marvel 78%, Avengers Endgame 94%, Spiderman Far for Home 90%)

It is not like Spiderverse from Sony has 97% or anything. When did the "hate" begin because when check you most good movies to get good ratings.(Spiderman 90, Spiderman 2 93%) (Batman Begins 84%,The Dark Knight 94%, Dark Knight Rises 87%)(DoFP 90, First Class 86%, Logan 93%, Deadpool 85%, Deadpool 2 83%)

The Critics are bias just because you disagree with them apparently.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Aren't we pass the point where we understand that critics don't give a crap about who is making the movie (Wonder Woman 93% , Shazam 90%, Harley Quinn 78%) (Captain Marvel 78%, Avengers Endgame 94%, Spiderman Far for Home 90%)

Unfortunately we are at a point that it is becoming more jaring that there is a bias. Shazam and Harley Quinn had to be molded to be MCU movies. Man of Steel is better than both movies, same with Joker. Those two DC movies are anti- MCU movies and they got torn down for it.

It is not like Spiderverse from Sony has 97% or anything. When did the "hate" begin because when check you most good movies to get good ratings.(Spiderman 90, Spiderman 2 93%) (Batman Begins 84%,The Dark Knight 94%, Dark Knight Rises 87%)(DoFP 90, First Class 86%, Logan 93%, Deadpool 85%, Deadpool 2 83%)

The Critics are bias just because you disagree with them apparently

This is what is wrong and shows bias. Average throwaway MCU movies from Far From Home, Captain Marvel, Ant Man and the Wasp, Iron Man 3, Dr Strange, GOTG 2, Age of Ultron, Thor 1, Thor 2 Homecoming are getting the same RT as Batman Begins 84%,The Dark Knight 94%, Dark Knight Rises 87%)(DoFP 90, First Class 86%, Logan 93%, Deadpool 85%, Deadpool 2 83%.

The difference between those X-Men, Spiderman, DC movies you mentioned is those movies were the best the genre has ever gotten to artfully. Logan, Deadpool and TDK are considered groundbreaking movies that change the genre. Batman Begins and DOFP push comic book story telling boundaries that MCU has not done not just with story but with VFX and cinematography and direction.

If new mutants or venom were mcu movies, it would be in the same place as 16 of the mcu films on RT. With critics, Sony, Fox and DC FILMS had to make mind blowing movies to get perfect reviews. that is not the same for the MCU. But like I said, from this bias we truly see what are the best comic book films.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-01-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Nevermind not worth it
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-01-2020 at 02:41 AM. Reason: bleh

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Nevermind not worth it
    Well it is impossible to explain how DOFP, Batman Begins, Deadpool have the same RT as even the admitted average MCU movies. The word for it is bias.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Well it is impossible to explain how DOFP, Batman Begins, Deadpool have the same RT as even the admitted average MCU movies. The word for it is bias.
    That last part is the only factually correct thing you've said in a while...though the bias is yours.

Extraordinary Member

The best MCU movies have generally brought something new to the genre. Iron Man 1 did change the game considerably and was a pretty big risk at the time. There is a reason so many MCU origin movies have essentially just copied it like Dr. Strange and Ant Man. The Avengers was the first time such a movie was built up over a bunch of previous movies. It wasn't the end of a trilogy like Return of the King or the final chapter in a single saga like Harry Potter. It was the culmination of multiple franchises which had been building towards a single event, and it was the first live-action team superhero movie that worked. The Incredibles was better in pretty much every way than Avengers, but that's a different beast and its Pixar, so it's just guaranteed to be great. Infinity War and Endgame were similarly the culmination of so many franchises all sharing the same universe in a way that had never been seen before. The MCU has its share of duds and I agree that some of its movies are overrated (Thor Ragnarok for instance), but taken as a whole it's an achievement unrivaled in cinematic history.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    My point was why would anyone risk their health at all for a movie the studio deemed not worth releasing FOR YEARS. Literal years this movie sat around being not worth releasing. And that's something you're willing to risk your health for? That's fucking crazy to me.
    I've wanted to see the movie since the first trailer was shown. The studio may not have had faith in it, but that doesn't change if I want to see a film or not. if it looks interesting I'll view it and judge for myself.

Man of Steel is better than both movies, same with Joker.
    That's your opinion. Just like those reviews are the opinions of the critics that write them. Neither is "wrong." You just want different things from your movies.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

And you call the the rest of us fanboys who're out of touch with reality?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    And you call the the rest of us fanboys who're out of touch with reality?
    If I read your review of new mutants. what score did you think it deserved?

Extraordinary Member

I'll give the movie 2 scores, one based on how I feel as a fan of these characters and the other based on how I'd think of the movie if these were all totally new characters who had never been in any comics before.

As a fan, I give it 2 out of 10. It did great characters dirty and made almost every bad decision it could.

Trying to judge it as a movie with no prior connection to the characters, I'd say it's between 5-6 out of 10. It's not a complete trainwreck of a film like Dark Phoenix, but it still has so many flaws as a movie. It's sloppy in plot, character, and editing. It fails as a mystery and for a horror movie isn't scary. It desperately needs more scenes just to give most its cast something to do. And the final resolution of the big fight at the end is one of the worst endings to a fight in a superhero movie ever. The entire second and third acts needed to be rewritten. It's basically the score I'd give the worst MCU movies like Thor 2 or Captain Marvel.

Unfortunately we are at a point that it is becoming more jaring that there is a bias. Shazam and Harley Quinn had to be molded to be MCU movies. Man of Steel is better than both movies, same with Joker. Those two DC movies are anti- MCU movies and they got torn down for it.

This is what is wrong and shows bias. Average throwaway MCU movies from Far From Home, Captain Marvel, Ant Man and the Wasp, Iron Man 3, Dr Strange, GOTG 2, Age of Ultron, Thor 1, Thor 2 Homecoming are getting the same RT as Batman Begins 84%,The Dark Knight 94%, Dark Knight Rises 87%)(DoFP 90, First Class 86%, Logan 93%, Deadpool 85%, Deadpool 2 83%.

The difference between those X-Men, Spiderman, DC movies you mentioned is those movies were the best the genre has ever gotten to artfully. Logan, Deadpool and TDK are considered groundbreaking movies that change the genre. Batman Begins and DOFP push comic book story telling boundaries that MCU has not done not just with story but with VFX and cinematography and direction.

If new mutants or venom were mcu movies, it would be in the same place as 16 of the mcu films on RT. With critics, Sony, Fox and DC FILMS had to make mind blowing movies to get perfect reviews. that is not the same for the MCU. But like I said, from this bias we truly see what are the best comic book films.
    The Dark Knight and Logan are arguably ground breaking... but movies like Wonder Woman or Deadpool 2 were simply fun movies that got good reviews regardless of what studio made it. Which was kind of the point.

If I read your review of new mutants. what score did you think it deserved?
    Eh, 7 out of 10. Some weaker points and I suppose as a horror movie it was pretty tame (but then again, I hate scary movies). Solid cast, the plot was coherent (which isn't always the case for movies with troubled productions), and I respect it trying something different within the genre. I mean, I would've liked to have seen the rest of this planned trilogy. I did go in with low expectations and seeing the characters brought to life was very fun, having been reading the comics, so those are my biases, but it was by no means a disgrace. I'd say it was a better sendoff then Dark Phoenix was and was a heckuva lot better then most other poorly reviews superhero movies (Venom comes to mind).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The Dark Knight and Logan are arguably ground breaking... but movies like Wonder Woman or Deadpool 2 were simply fun movies that got good reviews regardless of what studio made it. Which was kind of the point.
    I don’t see how Wonder Woman wasn’t groundbreaking for female Superhero movies.