Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    It was stand by me but instead of bikes, they were in an asylum and dealing with their trauma. For their changes, I liked it.

I want illyana rasputin (abet significantly less traumatized) transfered over to the mcu.

her use of the lockheed puppet was inspired.

I want to see her heckling doctor strange.
    If Lockheed returns in the MCU I really want him done properly. Alien, Brood Destroyer, Kitty Pryde’s best friend. Illyana though I would happily see as similar (maybe a bit more faithful to her comics version and with her brother front and centre).

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed it!

And yes, it might be that I'm looking at it through rose-tinted glasses because its the first film I've watched in the theatres post-COVID. But, its still a pretty decent effort, and not the mediocre film I was expecting from all the reviews.

I loved the YA horror and superhero mash-up and really wish the film had leaned into it a bit more. Illyana was just...fun! And definitely my favorite character in the film. Frankly I wish we'd gotten a bit more focus on her...plus Sam and Roberto. Dani was great, and I loved the romance between her and Rahne but somehow she just wasn't the most interesting part of the film - and her powers and her inner struggle could have been handled a lot better.

I also kinda wish we'd gotten a bit more background on Cecilia Reyes - but if you look at the story from the teen's POV, she does a great job as the spoilers:
    evil doctor/authority figure to be rebelled against (I LOVE that she got her just desserts being eaten alive by the Demon Bear! If this was a standard X-men film you'd have Xavier give a speech about tolerance and second chances...but here, the kids are just straight up "Let's kill the bitch!")
    end of spoilers

Admittedly, the changes to canon don't bother me much, because New Mutants isn't really an area of the X-men mythos I'm very familiar with (most of what I know, I know from the old X-men Evolution cartoon - I distinctly remember the Dani Moonstar episode from that show, which kinda spoiled a certain aspect of this movie for me!) It would have been nice to see Illyana mention her brother, but as it is, we got some good X-men references. That apart, its great that the movie stands on its own.

I actually would love to see this cast again, either in a sequel or another MCU X-men project. I can see this film being set in its own standalone universe that could be part of the larger Marvel Multiverse that is shaping up. I definitely want to see this version of Illyana again. And I think this could be the MCU X-men world (the X-men are really better off on their own earth than on the 'mainline' MCU earth). Here's hoping!

glad I finally checked it out. I'd give it a B. Not as bad as the folks who say it's the worst movie alive (moves aren't alive... you know?)..

Compared to my reading of the comics, I privately took note of all the canonical shifts, remixed powers, remixed relationships, ideological alignments, and just kind of left it at that.

glad the special effects were put to good use where possible.

The Buffy excerpts kind of telegraphed some of what ended up happening. Wonder if that was on purpose. (but at least the usage was for free... via Fox-Disney?)

Not sure how this would end up continuing, but at least it's out and can be looked at as a quirky one-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    glad I finally checked it out. I'd give it a B. Not as bad as the folks who say it's the worst movie alive (moves aren't alive... you know?)..

Compared to my reading of the comics, I privately took note of all the canonical shifts, remixed powers, remixed relationships, ideological alignments, and just kind of left it at that.

glad the special effects were put to good use where possible.

The Buffy excerpts kind of telegraphed some of what ended up happening. Wonder if that was on purpose. (but at least the usage was for free... via Fox-Disney?)

Not sure how this would end up continuing, but at least it's out and can be looked at as a quirky one-off.
    Recall the director saying that the Buffy show was inspiration for him to make a lesbian love story central in a film he made (Dani and Rahne were chosen in part due to being close and having a telepathic link in the comics). The kids watching the show seems to be part nod to the inspiration and a little bit foreshadowing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)