Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default If Marvel decided to bring Nick Fury back from the moon, how should they do it?

Nick Fury isn't doing anyone any good on the moon. If Marvel brought the character back how would you like to see it done?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

There’s a problem. Somewhere down the line management at Marvel said, let’s replace Nick Fury of SHIELD with MCU lite Nick Fury. That’s 1 issue. (It failed, so we have an “in” for old man Nick on the Moon). But there is something about old Nick being the Watcher from now on, sort of like for his sin of killing Uatu the Watcher. That really has never been addressed as a useful vehicle to continuity in the stories. In none of the Events since Original Sin, has blind Nick Fury shown up to tell everybody they are in trouble. Not even in Secret Wars, the end of world and everything, and Old Nick doesn’t show up.

So from one standpoint, you have an argument that Old Nick Fury on the Moon is under-utilised, and why not bring him back?

Should Old Nick be brought back?

When you look at SHIELD, it really has been obliterated even before Secret Wars. But after Avengers Standoff, SHIELD has been basically discredited as an organisation in the 21st Century. Does SHIELD need a revamp? Let’s look at its origin. Thanks to Jonathan Hickman, he did a retrospective of SHIELD originating in Italy as the Sword and Shield of antiquity, needed as the balwark of humanity in case Galactus or the Brood come back. It seems the Fantastic Four took over that role right when SHIELD was first started, but Nick Fury found a niche for himself as a periphery force to handle terrorism, (dropped the ball in 9/11, 2001), and, being the singular “Man on the wall”, in case Doctor Strange and the FF overlook any inter dimensional threats. I think there still needs to be a sweeper role for that contingency, hidden, behind the scenes, because what happened in Civil War II was what Nick Fury usually would do, so, Nick is still needed, because CWII is not over.

What should we do with Nick? Bring him back, like the Masked Rider. A Mystery Man you need having around. Hell the Masked Rider has done nothing up till now, not even in Empyre he was supposed to be used for. Hand the Mask to Fury, and bring back the Daddy of SHIELD in a new way. Hell, nobody even knows he’s on the Moon. Not the Empyre War, or the mutants using the Krakoa portal.
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-30-2020 at 11:08 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

The Masked Raider. Don’t know who else it could be

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Fury walks in SHIELD HQ.

"Um, Sir, aren’t you supposed to be chained to the Moon or something?"

"Huh? Oh, that. That was the LMD-1000. It fooled everyone. Test complete."

��

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'd probably want some kind of event that brings back the Watchers if we're bringing Fury back. That being said, I'm not in a rush to bring him back and I love the original Fury. We still have his stories either way. But I think he does best with a heroic SHIELD and the murky, corrupt SHIELD we tend to see doesn't fit with him.

The story to bring him back would likely involve some kind of secret only he knows. They visit him to see what he says and he breaks free of his chains to help.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I know Uatu is "dead", but I didn't realize all of the Watchers were gone, too. When did this occur? I need to read up on those issues.

I wasn't a fan of Original Sin, and even less a fan of Nick Fury becoming a Watcher by killing Uatu. I know justice is a foreign concept these days, but chaining him to the moon seems little more than a slap on the wrist for what should be a cosmic capital offense. It doesn't seem right that Nick should remain a Watcher in any capacity. I don't care what happens to Nick afterwards, but this entire ridiculous storyline ought to be reversed. Some semblance of the proper cosmic order needs to be restored and there should be a final reckoning for Nick Fury.

Extraordinary Member

While I think he deserves a final reckoning, I think overall original Nick Fury has served his purpose and best he go out.

Unlike Cap or Widow types who are cryogenically kept young or cloned. Nick lived through fully from being a world war 2 soldier and was a public face (despite being in a shadow organization).

And as the gap widens between world war 2 and the present, the whole infinity formula gets more and more wonky and Nick loses what made him (a spy/soldier but not a “superhero”).

They killed off his teammates, his oldest son, I believe his brother. Most, if not all, of the original SHIELD generation is dead and gone.

Unlike Cap, there are real world correlations to Nick Fury archetypes. And just like those old Cold War era people are dying off of old age in the real world, so should original Nick Fury. He’s too much of something from a bygone era.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 08-31-2020 at 08:57 AM.

I think if he ever came back classic Fury should be a covert, behind the scenes, guy who uses his old SHIELD resources and team to save the world and prevent major threats from bubbling up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think if he ever came back classic Fury should be a covert, behind the scenes, guy who uses his old SHIELD resources and team to save the world and prevent major threats from bubbling up.
    That’s basically what he did between Bendis’ Avengers run and Original Sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    That’s basically what he did between Bendis’ Avengers run and Original Sin.
    Yeah, even though I didn't really like how Bendis or Aaron wrote him, but it felt more appropriate than the Unseen stuff.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Couldn't Marvel just make it simple and say that when Reed and Franklin were rebuilding the multiverse that the original Nick Fury came back too? Reed and Nick go back a long way and the FF and Fury teamed up in the first confrontation with the Hate Monger in FF #21

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Couldn't Marvel just make it simple
    No. If Marvel wanted to keep things simple they would have just killed classic Fury and brought over Ultimate Fury instead of Marcus Johnson...whoops....Nick Fury(sigh) Jr
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

This should be done asap. Many ways to get around the situation. Exiles could bring in an alternative Fury to replace him. There's a SHIELD outpost in the moon that might have a gadget that releases him etc.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Fury walks in SHIELD HQ.

"Um, Sir, aren’t you supposed to be chained to the Moon or something?"

"Huh? Oh, that. That was the LMD-1000. It fooled everyone. Test complete."

��
    This. Except the LMD should fall from the heavens like Lucifer and smite Marcus Johnson, yea, even the memory of Marcus Johnson, from the face of the Earth. ;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Nick Fury isn't doing anyone any good on the moon. If Marvel brought the character back how would you like to see it done?
    Well, if the Cotati are on the moon bring things back to life...

He should become the new Iron Patriot and Rhodey gets his old armor and go back to War Machine