Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Default Would you mind if Aliens and Predators existed in the Marvel Universe?

Due to over a dozen crossovers over the years, it has been established that xenomorphs and yautja (Predators) exist in the DC Universe, Top Cow Universe, Dark Horse Comics' Comics Greatest World, the world of Magnus Robot Fighter, Judge Dredd's 2000 AD, as well as at least one Terminator timeline. How would you feel if it was established that they lived in the Marvel Universe as well? While making them a standard fixture like the Kree probably would not happen (though it would be awesome0, I think some crossovers might be fun, such as Wolverine fighting a Predator or the Guardians of the Galaxy battling a hive of Aliens. This could be expanded upon if the Engineers were brought in and interacted with several of the other advanced Marvel alien civilizations.

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

It would be awesome.

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Aren't xenomorphs just basically the brood?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    It would be awesome.
    One storyline they could have is to have the Brood interact with the Aliens as they are so incredibly similar. Also, a Black Panther/Predator story could work given the jungle theme of BP that would be reminiscent of the first Predator film.

In the DCU, there actually was a Predator in the Sinestro Corps:

In AvP: Xenogenesis, it's strongly hinted at that the Predators there wiped out a number of famous superheroes:

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed View Post
    Aren't xenomorphs just basically the brood?
    They're very similar but Brood have human intelligence and they way they mature is somewhat different. It would be cool if an evolutionary link were established between them.

Indifferent. I know nothing about the Alien films other than that they're a cornerstone of movie pop culture.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    Indifferent. I know nothing about the Alien films other than that they're a cornerstone of movie pop culture.
    I'd recommend at least the first two Alien films and the first Predator film. The original Alien as done by HR Giger would make a great Marvel villain.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I wouldn't mind but I wouldn't care either sorry. That franchise too easily becomes over-saturated and especially when it's presented in a " VS " type comic scenario turns into a quick cliche. My favorite Alien and Predator stories have been the self contained ones and really they don't need proxy to another established canon to write those.
    I make love, you make me sick.

The Marvel universe alread has the Brood, so don't need any more aliens.

If they did a crossover like the DC Superman/Aliens and Batman/Aliens, that would be sweet.

But incorporating them into the main Marvel Universe sounds a bit too DC incorporating Wildstorm to me.... it's bit... well....silly.

3196806411_7cf4a1e13b.jpg

Ultimate Member

The N'garai have also been used in an 'Alien' role, most notably in the Christmas issue of X-Men where Kitty was stuck alone in the mansion with one. Thanks to some great writing and art, it ended up about 100x better than the entire Brood arc.

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    I wouldn't mind but I wouldn't care either sorry. That franchise too easily becomes over-saturated and especially when it's presented in a " VS " type comic scenario turns into a quick cliche. My favorite Alien and Predator stories have been the self contained ones and really they don't need proxy to another established canon to write those.
    They wouldn't have to all be standard VS stories. Superman vs. Aliens, for example, ably made use of the character's mythos and had a pretty creative storyline. One of the reasons AvP itself was able to get so big is because it wasn't just a one-off crossover but one where the two franchises were merged in a way that fit them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Batfan007 View Post
    The Marvel universe alread has the Brood, so don't need any more aliens.

If they did a crossover like the DC Superman/Aliens and Batman/Aliens, that would be sweet.

But incorporating them into the main Marvel Universe sounds a bit too DC incorporating Wildstorm to me.... it's bit... well....silly.

3196806411_7cf4a1e13b.jpg
    The thing about the Brood is that their human-like sentience and ability to talk removes some of the horror. Aliens have none of that and could be used as swarm monsters (ala Aliens, Alien Resurrection) or stand-alone threats (Alien, Alien 3).

Come to think of it, Aliens are in the Wildstorm universe as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The N'garai have also been used in an 'Alien' role, most notably in the Christmas issue of X-Men where Kitty was stuck alone in the mansion with one. Thanks to some great writing and art, it ended up about 100x better than the entire Brood arc.
    The N'garai are awesome even though they are demons and not aliens. Has any connection been made between them and the Brood?

Even if Aliens couldn't be incorporated, I think Predators could fit in well in the MU, both as villains in and of themselves and as allies of others. In fact, they wouldn't always necessarily have to be villains due to their strong honor code.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

@Venomous Mask: That doesn't really change my opinion nor change the way the Aliens and Predators ended up being used over time with the DC Universe, which is to as a cliche. It was novel when the Batman Vs Predator story came out. It became a novelty after they had a few stories were either or both would be in contest with each other and/or a known character/team. Then it went on to become cliche. I know you like seeing the scary monsters but the fact is past these character due date the majority of readers saw it as cheap and didn't care and it ended it a bad marketing ploy, same as the actual film franchise did. Sorry again but these characters are well established and not an unknown variable to myself nor others, nor surprisingly fresh in any way. When I saw that recent Archie Vs Predator spot I grimaced for example saying to myself " It's come to this? Naturally of course. ". KISS is the same type of franchise speaking of. I have no quarrel with people who still like these things but I'd rather not have them saturated all over the things I do and instead kept separate. Asides Marvel has enough of a jumbled mess of happening as it is, I can only believe adding another vast element to it would make it even more convoluted.
    I make love, you make me sick.

I would be so very okay with the idea. Love me some xenomophs and Predators. As long as they were used properly, and not turned into some over-saturated, second rate threat.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

For whatever it's worth, I'm surprised that nothing has happened yet, considering the corporate ties between Fox and Marvel with the FF and X-Men franchises. Of course, any proposal would have to involve Dark Horse as well. Who knows whether any pitches have come from one side or the other, but at this point I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

To me, it severely depends on what type of story you're trying to tell. The stories based on the Aliens-- Xenos-- typically take place in the far future, roughly 100-200+ years in the future. No more 616 heroes, unless a time warp is involved.

Predator stories have an easier conceit to take place in the present-day. Of course, given the lethal nature of the Predators' m.o., then you have to invent some characters for them to kill, or to give them some z-list folks to bump off. From there, it depends on who the Marvel adversary is: various folks like Spider-Man don't kill. Others like Punisher and Wolverine will.

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    @Venomous Mask: That doesn't really change my opinion nor change the way the Aliens and Predators ended up being used over time with the DC Universe, which is to as a cliche. It was novel when the Batman Vs Predator story came out. It became a novelty after they had a few stories were either or both would be in contest with each other and/or a known character/team. Then it went on to become cliche. I know you like seeing the scary monsters but the fact is past these character due date the majority of readers saw it as cheap and didn't care and it ended it a bad marketing ploy, same as the actual film franchise did. Sorry again but these characters are well established and not an unknown variable to myself nor others, nor surprisingly fresh in any way. When I saw that recent Archie Vs Predator spot I grimaced for example saying to myself " It's come to this? Naturally of course. ". KISS is the same type of franchise speaking of. I have no quarrel with people who still like these things but I'd rather not have them saturated all over the things I do and instead kept separate. Asides Marvel has enough of a jumbled mess of happening as it is, I can only believe adding another vast element to it would make it even more convoluted.
    I do see what you are saying. The Batman/Predator crossovers became repetitive and the second Superman vs. Aliens storyline was not nearly as good as the first. My idea would be to have these be special factions that would only occasionally make themselves known in the rare crossover storyline or Easter Egg, like the Sinestro Predator. The problem with AvP is that in the 90s they were whored out to an immeasurable degree, becoming cannon fodder for cheap cardboard cutouts of the characters from Aliens (we did get some cool action figures, though). This says nothing of the dozens, possibly hundreds of Alien ripoffs that were popular then (e.g. Contra). With stuff like Prometheus and Alien Isolation, there's been a big push to go back to the original concepts. The xenomorphs were originally unstoppable, unfeeling space rapists that may or may not have had human intelligence but shared none of our morality. The Predator was a raw survivalist who only relied on one or two weapons. I agree, Marvel does not need more redundant cluttering but room could be made for a handful of special, horror-based events.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I would be so very okay with the idea. Love me some xenomophs and Predators. As long as they were used properly, and not turned into some over-saturated, second rate threat.
    I agree. The era of scads of xenomorphs being mowed down by guys with big guns is over, it's time for a new dynamic.

In other news, 666 posts.
    Last edited by Venomous Mask; 02-14-2015 at 04:26 PM.