Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Tv/film moments that would go differently in real life

A lot of television and movies are unrealistic, as we all know. However, there are some moments that are just too unrealistic. For example, on the Big Bang Theory, Sheldon was led to believe that his research was going well. However, the other guys revealed that they faked the results so that they would be able to tolerate him better. Now, Sheldon did get rightfully mad. The unrealistic part is when the truth was revealed to the university, the others were not fired for tampering with a colleague's work.

Well, in real life Sheldon would get his ass kicked five times per day so...

Like, 70-80% of them?

During the Crisis on Earth X crossover, while Felicity, Ray and Iris are trying to help Kara escape from the Nazis, they get cornered by Dark Arrow and Felicity gives a speech. In reality, Dark Arrow would have just killed Felicity, Iris, and Ray, and then taken Kara back to cut our her heart.

90% of stories on tv would simply never happen if people behaved like how they would in real life. ....

Snarky answer aside, I will try to think of some examples though.

BANNED

This is a coincidence because comic films are very discussed here but i would say many moments in MCU movies. In real life people don't use humor in traumatic moments, it is safe to say they are the most unrealistic comic movies for many reasons.

A lot of teen shows show teens drinking openly in bars. that does not happen in real life
    Last edited by Castle; 08-31-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    This is a coincidence but i would say many moments in MCU movies. In real life people don't use humor in traumatic moments, it is safe to say they are the most unrealistic comic movies for many reasons.

A lot of teen shows show teens drinking openly in bars. that does not happen in real life
    That is an oxymoron, and I don't think it is safe to say they are anymore unrealistic than BvS, Justice League, Aquaman, Hellboy, Birds of Prey, and on and on.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That is an oxymoron, and I don't think it is safe to say they are anymore unrealistic than BvS, Justice League, Aquaman, Hellboy, Birds of Prey, and on and on.

BvS is quite realistic. I have said it already that in real life Superman would get the same treatment as he did in the movie. BvS is a realistic take of Superman to Christopher reeves romantic fantasy.

Supehero movies had a time when their movies were more grounded with real life. X-Men 1, Batman Begins, Spiderman 2. There has been a shift since the MCU and some of the few DCU movies.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I'm pretty sure no one in the real world would tolerate any of the characters on any sitcom of the past 30 years. Probably longer.

I don't think Judge Stone on Night Court would have lasted very long, much less 9 years. And Dan Fielding either died of syphilis, AIDS, or being tied into a pretzel by Bull that time.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 08-31-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member

On M*A*S*H, Hawkeye would've been court martialed or at least thrown out of the Army for just about any of the stunts he pulled.

The Army wouldn't have cared how good of a surgeon he was, his behavior toward superior officers (even Generals) would've been the end of him.

And that episode where he removed a perfectly good organ out of a military leader to save his platoon from going back into battle would've probably lost him his license to practice medicine.

I'm currently watching S2 of Cobra Kai. I love the show very much. I'm halfway through S2, but jesus (no spoilers please), 90% of the show wouldn't happen if Daniel and Johnny simply sat down over a beer during every little misunderstanding. They even just need to stop talking in assumptions:

Daniel: You did the thing!
    Johnny: What thing?
    Daniel: You know, THAT thing!
    Johnny: Alright, I did the thing! (when really Johnny thinks Daniel's talking about a completely separate thing)

Talk straight, dudes. C'mon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm currently watching S2 of Cobra Kai. I love the show very much. I'm halfway through S2, but jesus (no spoilers please), 90% of the show wouldn't happen if Daniel and Johnny simply sat down over a beer during every little misunderstanding. They even just need to stop talking in assumptions:

Daniel: You did the thing!
    Johnny: What thing?
    Daniel: You know, THAT thing!
    Johnny: Alright, I did the thing! (when really Johnny thinks Daniel's talking about a completely separate thing)

Talk straight, dudes. C'mon now.
    Not just that but every parent would have sued them so they'd be too broke to have studios.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Shaggy gets busted for possession. Scooby is taken away by government goons and taken to Area 51 so they can try to reverse-engineer the talking dog. Freddie dies on his first day in Vietnam. And Velma and Daphne go to San Francisco where people understand and they can live without being hassled.

Obviously, 99% of police procedurals are complete nonsense, but that's been true since the publication of Sherlock Holmes. CSI (wherever) is just inane with crime science labs practically leading investigations that would be run by actual detectives and they certainly would never encounter an actual suspect in interrogation. In real police work, if there was any indication that the forensic lab was actually involved in directly investigating a suspect, it would be thrown out as the crime labs actually are supposed to neutral simply preparing and presenting evidence in a case that both the prosecution and defense have equal access to. There was an infamous case in New Jersey, I believe, where hundreds of drug case sentences were overturned or vacated based on the emails between a lab scientist testing drugs and the prosecution teams showing that she was actively trying to help them win the cases.

That's the thing that most police stories on television overlook in that the police and prosecution are obligated to protect the rights even of people they arrest and charge with crimes as they are treated innocent under the law until proven guilty.

Also, the number of times you see a suspect who can afford an attorney talk to police without one is entirely unrealistic. No sensible person would talk to an officer, especially in a murder case, without their legal representative. Only poor and ignorant people do that, but you'll never see the heroes of a cop show actually bully a vulnerable suspect into implicating himself in a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Not just that but every parent would have sued them so they'd be too broke to have studios.
    LOL that's right. Far too many blows to the head for any parent IRL (or for anyone to avoid a concussion, for that matter).

And also that the show takes place in SoCal, one of *the* lawsuit centers of the nation.
    Last edited by Cyke; 09-01-2020 at 10:22 AM.