Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Sometimes I cannot get over how many female characters on tv are already maked up looking extremely beautiful while they have just gotten out of bed or how they were extremely fancy cloths to sit at home

Superman somehow not finding a way to just say to Batman "Lex Luthor is holding someone hostage and will kill her if I don't fight you" and instead half-heartedly tries to talk a couple times, then just fights him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    A lot of television and movies are unrealistic, as we all know. However, there are some moments that are just too unrealistic. For example, on the Big Bang Theory, Sheldon was led to believe that his research was going well. However, the other guys revealed that they faked the results so that they would be able to tolerate him better. Now, Sheldon did get rightfully mad. The unrealistic part is when the truth was revealed to the university, the others were not fired for tampering with a colleague's work.
    That show was full of fireable scenes. Such as when Sheldon rigged Kripke's lab to dump foam on the university president and some visiting big-wigs. And got Leonard and Raj involved.
    Raj mentioned he was going back to India, but the next episode no mention is even made of any punishment any of them suffered. It would seem that destroying another scientist's work
    and humiliating the president in front of people funding the research would have had even bigger ramifications. Certainly cause for firing if not for legal action for sabotage.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I'm pretty sure no one in the real world would tolerate any of the characters on any sitcom of the past 30 years. Probably longer.

I don't think Judge Stone on Night Court would have lasted very long, much less 9 years. And Dan Fielding either died of syphilis, AIDS, or being tied into a pretzel by Bull that time.
    Dan would have lost his license long before he died for sexually harassing ever female he meets. Even worse doing it in open court. How Harry a man who should be upholding the law just sits there with a oh geez here we go again smirk is beyound me.

How about Star Wars. Leia just calmly stands there, does not shed a tear as her home planet and all her family are killed. Fact is if it was a normal human she would be like in a trauma induced coma.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Anything involving a character who commits horrible crimes, even murder, then gets to walk free and be a hero because they repented and we, the audience, who sees their private moments, knows they did. Xena comes to mind. Also, characters who are constantly connected to crimes or murders. In real life, people get convicted on such circumstantial evidence.
    Power with Girl is better.

I love The Office, but the less they reference the fact that they are being filmed for a documentary, the better. After Season 3 or so, the cameras just constantly go places that there is no reason for in order to continue telling the story. I just finished the episode where Jim and Pam went to Dwight's Farm. It's a funny episode, but there is no way that the camera crew would have gone overnight to the farm with them and they also wouldn't have followed Michael to his 6pm - 1am job. On the same night.

There's a reason Parks and Rec drops the concept pretty early.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

You mean like most TV shows that glorify reckless behaviour from cops?

The entire show of House M.D. His job is made up but if it was real no matter how good he was he woulda lost his medical license permanently before the end of season 1.

Also LOL @ People making jokes during traumatic events not being realistic. Its not called Gallows Humour for no reason. People make makes jokes when they are afraid to break the tension in real all the time. Also saying something is unrealistic about behavior in movies or shows about people with Super powers seems silly. Regardless humor is a completely realistic reaction to tense situations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Dan would have lost his license long before he died for sexually harassing ever female he meets. Even worse doing it in open court. How Harry a man who should be upholding the law just sits there with a oh geez here we go again smirk is beyound me.

How about Star Wars. Leia just calmly stands there, does not shed a tear as her home planet and all her family are killed. Fact is if it was a normal human she would be like in a trauma induced coma
    And there my friend, is the classic difference between Star Wars and Star Trek. Spock, a dude who has spent his life mastering emotional control completely breaks-down and looses it both in public and private after his planet explodes. we see him dealing with some minor trauma about it in the later films

How about the show Jag? The number of covert missions the government sent military lawyers on is amazing. I was wondering if like Navy Seals didnt exist in that world.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    This is a coincidence because comic films are very discussed here but i would say many moments in MCU movies.
    We already know you would say that.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    On M*A*S*H, Hawkeye would've been court martialed or at least thrown out of the Army for just about any of the stunts he pulled.

The Army wouldn't have cared how good of a surgeon he was, his behavior toward superior officers (even Generals) would've been the end of him.
    He actually could have gotten away with a LOT during the time. Actual qualified medical professionals in general could get away with almost anything, because if they were reported and removed from the unit, the unit had no guarantee that they'd ever actually get anyone to replace them.

Granted, Hawkeye got away with more than he should have, but it's not 100% beyond the bounds of logic.

Quote Originally Posted by A Small Talent For War View Post
    Obviously, 99% of police procedurals are complete nonsense, but that's been true since the publication of Sherlock Holmes. CSI (wherever) is just inane with crime science labs practically leading investigations that would be run by actual detectives and they certainly would never encounter an actual suspect in interrogation. In real police work, if there was any indication that the forensic lab was actually involved in directly investigating a suspect, it would be thrown out as the crime labs actually are supposed to neutral simply preparing and presenting evidence in a case that both the prosecution and defense have equal access to. There was an infamous case in New Jersey, I believe, where hundreds of drug case sentences were overturned or vacated based on the emails between a lab scientist testing drugs and the prosecution teams showing that she was actively trying to help them win the cases.

That's the thing that most police stories on television overlook in that the police and prosecution are obligated to protect the rights even of people they arrest and charge with crimes as they are treated innocent under the law until proven guilty.

Also, the number of times you see a suspect who can afford an attorney talk to police without one is entirely unrealistic. No sensible person would talk to an officer, especially in a murder case, without their legal representative. Only poor and ignorant people do that, but you'll never see the heroes of a cop show actually bully a vulnerable suspect into implicating himself in a crime.

Also the case is usually wrapped up in a matter of days, if not a day, whereas actual cases could go for months/years sometimes. Also sometimes CSI they did have "arc" cases such as the very first one, minature killer, Dr. Jekkyl etc. which took the whole season, although that's usually because the body counts kept piling up.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-11-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Most of Columbo's cases would have been thrown out of court. Between contaminating the evidence with cigar ashes, to cracking a hard boiled egg on the murder weapon, to witness harassment. His approach to crime fighting was enormously entertaining, but couldn't happen in real life.

BANNED

Kirk is removed from command the first time he's absent from the bridge at a critical moment.

I rewatched The Simpsons episode Bart The Daredevil today. I have my doubts if anyone could survive falling down the gr\ouge twice. I am kind of starting to question if any thing on that show was real.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-14-2020 at 05:12 AM.