• Awkward

0 0%
  • The Secret Circle

0 0%
  • Other

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Which teen/YA shows from over the past 20+ years would/won't hold up today?

For over two decades, we have had a lot of shows geared towards teenagers and young people in their 20s. However, as society has changed, what was tolerated and accepted yesterday may not be accepted today. So, what shows would be acceptable and what wouldn't be?

Haven't watched much from that list, Buffy, Roswell and a bit of Glee. (a wee, wee bit)

Oh and some Dawson's Creek cause it was damn hard to avoid at some point lol.

It seems to be that Buffy is still pretty watchable, i don't remember Roswell all that well so i can't say though.

Extraordinary Member

Most plots on the late 90s and early 2000s can’t hold up today due to cell phones/iPhones.

If we're talking about social norms and what's become taboo or not since those shows, honestly it feels more like individual episodes wouldn't hold up well, rather than an entire show.

Saved by the Bell, for example, would have several episodes that would be considered problematic today, but the show as a whole is still fondly remembered 30 years later, enough for reunions, another sequel show, etc.

BANNED

I voted for Dawson's creek. It was a well written teen drama.The Pacey and Joey romance stole the show from Dawson and Joey. It was one of the best love triangles from a teen show because most their love triangles sucks.

Many Teen shows done by the late 2000s, I had an objective hatred for because of the horrific ways it portrayed teenagers. Riverdale was the last straw.

The OC and Gossip Girl I found very destructive to the minds of gullible teenagers. Apparently all what rich teens do is drink Alcohol and have causal sex before they are 16. I like 90s YA teen shows better because the teen issues were more balanced.

For a bunch of these, I think the way they speak might seem cringey today. Nothing seems dated faster than how adults imagine young people speaking.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    For a bunch of these, I think the way they speak might seem cringey today. Nothing seems dated faster than how adults imagine young people speaking.
    For realsies?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Of these I've only watched and am a fan of Buffy. I think Buffy is a mixed bag of things that still resonate extremely well and things that have aged very poorly. Overall the first five seasons at least are very strong with some classic episodes and arcs, but there is the fact that the majority of the cast and extras are white in a setting that doesn't make much sense for it to be so. And the few POCs we get aren't treated that well (Kendra getting killed off early, basically no black characters that are prominent or survive until Wood and Ronna in the last season).

Willow is a lesbian, which was groundbreaking and important, but since it was made in the early 2000s the idea of her being bisexual was likely never entertained even though it may make more sense for her character. Back then, it was "you're either one or the other." And male homosexuality is treated as more of a punchline; see Andrew, or Xander freaking out when Larry comes out to him (though Larry for his part was pretty cool)

I'm a diehard Bangel shipper, but the age difference was poorly planned. I don't know if they intended Angel to be 26 when he was turned that early in the production (he "reads" as 18-20 range and doesn't look any older than the other 20 somethings attending Sunnydale high, so it's weird) or if it's something they had to deal with when the cemented his human age in his own show and Boreanaz wasn't able to pass any younger at that point. But it's very inappropriate and the one thing I'd change about their romance. Thankfully I mainly ship them after they break up and if Angel becomes human the age difference isn't a factor anymore.

And of course with Spuffy, there is the age difference + literally everything else involved in it that does not hold up in this day and age in a post #MeToo world.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I've never really understood why it matters what age Angel was when he was turned. From the get-go he was hundreds of years old. He's not a 26-year-old (or even a teen). He's like 240-odd years old. You don't get a pass because your body is time-locked.

But I don't really have problems with age discrepancies. I was dating a 35-year-old when I was 17. My sister dated a 21-year old when she was 16. I'm more concerned with Buffy dating a vampire.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

It's hard to pick a main choice but I think the top two would be Buffy and Vampire Diaries. Hell the latter's gender and racial politics were being called out as dated while it was still airing.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Of these I've only watched and am a fan of Buffy. I think Buffy is a mixed bag of things that still resonate extremely well and things that have aged very poorly. Overall the first five seasons at least are very strong with some classic episodes and arcs, but there is the fact that the majority of the cast and extras are white in a setting that doesn't make much sense for it to be so. And the few POCs we get aren't treated that well (Kendra getting killed off early, basically no black characters that are prominent or survive until Wood and Ronna in the last season).

Willow is a lesbian, which was groundbreaking and important, but since it was made in the early 2000s the idea of her being bisexual was likely never entertained even though it may make more sense for her character. Back then, it was "you're either one or the other." And male homosexuality is treated as more of a punchline; see Andrew, or Xander freaking out when Larry comes out to him (though Larry for his part was pretty cool)

I'm a diehard Bangel shipper, but the age difference was poorly planned. I don't know if they intended Angel to be 26 when he was turned that early in the production (he "reads" as 18-20 range and doesn't look any older than the other 20 somethings attending Sunnydale high, so it's weird) or if it's something they had to deal with when the cemented his human age in his own show and Boreanaz wasn't able to pass any younger at that point. But it's very inappropriate and the one thing I'd change about their romance. Thankfully I mainly ship them after they break up and if Angel becomes human the age difference isn't a factor anymore.

And of course with Spuffy, there is the age difference + literally everything else involved in it that does not hold up in this day and age in a post #MeToo world.
    Spuffy (at least in season 6) was supposed to be a toxic relationship. Where things got iffy was in the last season where it was portrayed as being more romanticized like Bangel.

Extraordinary Member

Talking about Buffy.....

There was also the episode when Jonathan went to the school’s bell tower to set up a sniper rifle.

That wouldn’t fly passed post-Columbine.

Come to think of it. There’s also the one when Jonathan changed and controlled reality to be “the star.” And had two twin women forced be his lovers.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 08-31-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I've never really understood why it matters what age Angel was when he was turned. From the get-go he was hundreds of years old. He's not a 26-year-old (or even a teen). He's like 240-odd years old. You don't get a pass because your body is time-locked.

But I don't really have problems with age discrepancies. I was dating a 35-year-old when I was 17. My sister dated a 21-year old when she was 16. I'm more concerned with Buffy dating a vampire.
    Yeah the fantastical nature of both of them (Angel as a vampire, Buffy as a demon-infused magical being) makes it less squicky than it otherwise might be. And the main issues (age gap, vampire nature) would be rendered moot if Angel gets the Shanshu which is why I ship them as endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Spuffy (at least in season 6) was supposed to be a toxic relationship. Where things got iffy was in the last season where it was portrayed as being more romanticized like Bangel.
    I think season 7 is what causes the whole thing to collapse actually, precisely for that reason. It doesn't help that there isn't much distinction between Spike's souled and un-souled personas, he doesn't act much like less of an *******, and most of the blame for their toxic relationship is laid at Buffy's feet. Her trauma is swept under the rug, and she gets fridged in her own show for the benefit of a male character. Whereas the Angelus stuff is never romanticized (whereas even season 6 Spuffy is romanticized by some fans) and the arc was told primarily from Buffy's POV for her development.

It's easily the thing that tarnishes the show's legacy above all else, IMO.

Friday Night Lights and Gilmore Girls should be on the list.

I voted for Buffy.

41st on TV Guide's list of 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time

Second on Empire's "50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time"

27th on The Hollywood Reporter's "Hollywood's 100 Favorite TV Shows"[187]

Voted third in 2004 and 2007 on TV Guide's "Top Cult Shows Ever"[188]

Listed in Time magazine's "100 Best TV Shows of All-Time"[189]

Included in TV Guide's 2013 list of "The 60 Greatest Dramas of All Time"[190]

Ranked #7 on TV Guide's list of "The 60 Greatest Sci-Fi Shows of All Time[191]

Ranked #38 on TV Guide's list of the "60 Best Series of All Time"[192]

Named the third Best School Show of All Time by AOL TV[193]

Ranked #38 in 2016 on Rolling Stone's list of 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time[194]

Included on Syfy's list of "The 25 best fantasy series of the past 25 years"[195]

Ranked #49 by Writers Guild of America on their list of the "101 Best Written TV Series Of All Time"[196]
    Last edited by Valentis; 08-31-2020 at 03:56 PM.

...Thanks a lot for making me realize that as a teen, I didn't really watch any "teen" shows.

I knew of a good number of them, but never watched them.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    ...Thanks a lot for making me realize that as a teen, I didn't really watch any "teen" shows.

I knew of a good number of them, but never watched them.
    That makes two of us!