Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Real Life Proves Why Luke Cage Endures

In light of this week's unrest in Ferguson, Mo., Joseph Illidge examines how Luke Cage continues to be relevant 42 years after his introduction.

Full article here.

Once again, fantastic work Mr. Illidge. You pretty much summed up why I absolutely love the character and what he stands for. I wish more writers really understood the power and symbolism this character carries, like Hudlin and Priest understood BP.

Oh, and in before the distraction tactics aka "Why bring politics into this? It's just entertainment!" and such.

Great article and nice historical perspective. I also really feel that Bendis helped reinvigorate the character post-Power Man both with Alias and his Avengers titles. We get to see much more of Luke's strength and humanity and humor through Bendis's self-proclaimed bromance for Cage.

I had never thought of that before, Cage being bulletproof is a major power fantasy. Good article.

I was skeptical when I first started reading this article. How could anybody connect these tragedies that constantly befall Black Americans to the comic character Luke Cage? But Joseph Phillip Illidge nailed it. He opened my eyes and made me see Luke in a new way. I have enjoyed the character ever since I was very young. Now he is even more meaningful to me. Thank you.

Great job, that article was succinct in expressing a point that unfortunately still needs to be made. Luke Cage is a great character, I am some one who came into the Character thanks to Brain Bendis' work on New Avengers. I love how Cage takes charge and commands respect without seeming forced, Great job on this.

One aspect of Cage that bothered me for awhile is that he doesn't have a costume. I understand some of the rationale for it, but since we're talking about powerful symbols, does anyone else think that Cage being a superhero who doesn't have a costume or a code-name seems a touch (albeit unintentionally) exclusionary? At worst, it exemplifies the notion that his ethnicity is itself his "costume" or his "identity" meaning that he is seen as no more than his skin color, which is something we're trying to get past. ("At least he has pants" says Black Lightning, Apache Chief and Samurai) As though he's not allowed to fully participate in the heroic tradition because he's still seen as an outsider.

Although, I have been feeling this less lately as Marvel has been featuring more prominent heroes of color so that Cage not having the trappings of a traditional hero doesn't stand out so much.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One aspect of Cage that bothered me for awhile is that he doesn't have a costume. I understand some of the rationale for it, but since we're talking about powerful symbols, does anyone else think that Cage being a superhero who doesn't have a costume or a code-name seems a touch (albeit unintentionally) exclusionary? At worst, it exemplifies the notion that his ethnicity is itself his "costume" or his "identity" meaning that he is seen as no more than his skin color, which is something we're trying to get past. ("At least he has pants" says Black Lightning, Apache Chief and Samurai) As though he's not allowed to fully participate in the heroic tradition because he's still seen as an outsider.

Although, I have been feeling this less lately as Marvel has been featuring more prominent heroes of color so that Cage not having the trappings of a traditional hero doesn't stand out so much.
    I think he doesn't wear a costume, because he's supposed to represent the average Joe(one that cannot be shot).

Spectacular Member
    Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Great article, it does add some context it why he connects, but can we get an article or someone point to a book on how/why Luke Cage was created?

I admit the statements made in the article never crossed my mind. Thank you.

I agree I hope whoever plays Mr. Cage does with the historical knowledge of what that means.

I understand some of the rationale for it, but since we're talking about powerful symbols, does anyone else think that Cage being a superhero who doesn't have a costume or a code-name seems a touch (albeit unintentionally) exclusionary?
    Cage does have a code-name, though, doesn't he? Power Man? Although he doesn't use it much anymore.

All-New Member

It's a trade-off, I think. Contemporizing him by updating the costume and de-emphasizing the Power Man name keeps him from seeming anachronistic, but it also distances him, somewhat, from his origins in Black Power and Blaxplotation as cultural forces in the early '70s.

Good article.

Luke Cage is a great character and I'm glad that over the years he's become the kind of guy that can inspire. Some heroes dwell on their tragic past. But Luke Cage overcame adversity, gained a family, led the Avengers, showed the world that Luke Cage is a great man and gave us an awesome catchphrase too while he was at it. Like Captain America or Wonder Woman, he commands respect with his presence. Don't mess with Luke Cage!
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Great article. I never thought about Luke Cage having bullet proof skin in that way before. This definitely changes my perspective of the character and I love him even more.

CBR Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Leopard View Post
    I was skeptical when I first started reading this article. How could anybody connect these tragedies that constantly befall Black Americans to the comic character Luke Cage? But Joseph Phillip Illidge nailed it. He opened my eyes and made me see Luke in a new way. I have enjoyed the character ever since I was very young. Now he is even more meaningful to me. Thank you.
    This is a lovely post. Thanks so much for reading and not pre-judging, Rey.

Extraordinary Member

I love this article, great read!