Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Default Garfield Logan/Beast Boy/Changeling Appreciation Thread

Since Kami Garcia and Gabriel Picolo's Teen Titans: Beast Boy is coming out tomorrow and another book Beast Boy loves Raven is announced, I decided to make a thread for Titan's number one shapeshifter.

Introduction: Beast Boy aka Garfield Logan is the superhero created by Arnold Drake and Bob Brown who first appeared in Doom Patrol #99, November 1965. He was later introduced as Changeling as the member of Teen Titans in Marv Wolfman and Geroge Perez's New Teen Titans #1, November 1980. Popular member of Doom Patrol and Teen Titans, Beast Boy is a shapeshifter who possesses the ability to metamorph any animals he chooses. Beast Boy has been recognized by larger audiences in popular media thanks to his appearance in show such as Teen Titans (2003), Teen Titans GO, Young Justice, and various others.

Incredible Member

I was first introduced to Beast Boy in the Teen Titans animated series way back and he was always my favorite. I know many people did not like New 52 titans, but I thought he was written pretty well in it with being a competent hero and a good friend to Bunker.

I hope I did the image thing right.

Glad to see him having one. I always have a soft spot for the green guy since TT cartoon from 2003 and i althougth i have my problems with it, i also became a fan of his comic version.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I always enjoyed his characterizations in NTT, and on the TT cartoon. TT Go, I've only seen a few episodes, but he seems pretty dumb on that one, but then, they all do. LOL

I liked his guest appearance in the Wonder Twins maxi-series.

BB! One of my most favorite teen heroes .

I can't believe he didn't have one of these already. The guy's more than earned it. I'm sure it's obvious from my avatar but Beast Boy's pretty much my favorite superhero ever. And he has been ever since I was introduced to him in the 2003 cartoon. Maybe it's the Animorphs fan in me but I'm a sucker for shape shifters and he reminds me, a lot, of my favorite character in that series so I just naturally took to him.

I just wish everything after Flashpoint had treated him better. Wasn't a fan of his New 52 incarnation at all (though the New 52 Titans as a whole just...offended me on multiple levels) and even in the Rebirth/Post-Rebirth era, I think he's been better but still...kind of a shadow of what he once was. I feel like the loss of the Titans' history hurt him as a character almost as much as it did Vic (though at this point I suppose whether or not it hurt Vic at all would be up for debate in the eyes of some of his fans). And even though it looks like most of the Titans' old history has been re-established, I haven't really seen enough of Gar in recent comics to know if that's benefited him in any way.

On a more positive note, I've been loving him in the Young Justice cartoon (in fact I actually prefer his origin there over his original one). Season 3 in particular was surprisingly good for him. I was not expecting Gar to take center stage the way that he did but I hope it continues into the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I always enjoyed his characterizations in NTT, and on the TT cartoon. TT Go, I've only seen a few episodes, but he seems pretty dumb on that one, but then, they all do. LOL
    I have such an odd relationship with TT GO. There are times where it is genuinely clever and funny. But for the most part it's just painful to watch. And Gar's part of the reason for that. He and Robin are easily the worst characters in that show. The most unfunny. The most irritating. They're just....Ugh, why does that show exist >___<
    Last edited by Blue22; 08-31-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I have such an odd relationship with TT GO. There are times where it is genuinely clever and funny. But for the most part it's just painful to watch. And Gar's part of the reason for that. He and Robin are easily the worst characters in that show. The most unfunny. The most irritating. They're just....Ugh, why does that show exist >___<

Yeah, they really make Robin and Beast Boy very irritating, on the few episodes I've seen. I guess younger kids like it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I can't believe he didn't have one of these already. The guy's more than earned it. I'm sure it's obvious from my avatar but Beast Boy's pretty much my favorite superhero ever. And he has been ever since I was introduced to him in the 2003 cartoon. Maybe it's the Animorphs fan in me but I'm a sucker for shape shifters and he reminds me, a lot, of my favorite character in that series so I just naturally took to him.

I just wish everything after Flashpoint had treated him better. Wasn't a fan of his New 52 incarnation at all (though the New 52 Titans as a whole just...offended me on multiple levels) and even in the Rebirth/Post-Rebirth era, I think he's been better but still...kind of a shadow of what he once was. I feel like the loss of the Titans' history hurt him as a character almost as much as it did Vic (though at this point I suppose whether or not it hurt Vic at all would be up for debate in the eyes of some of his fans). And even though it looks like most of the Titans' old history has been re-established, I haven't really seen enough of Gar in recent comics to know if that's benefited him in any way.

On a more positive note, I've been loving him in the Young Justice cartoon (in fact I actually prefer his origin there over his original one). Season 3 in particular was surprisingly good for him. I was not expecting Gar to take center stage the way that he did but I hope it continues into the next season.

Never thought I'd run into another Animorphs fan here. Let me guess, your favorite character is Marco?

YJ Season 3 was the best depiction of Beast Boy we had in a while. I never understood the criticism he got from fans of the show. Maybe they weren't used to seeing a consistently competent version of BB?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Never thought I'd run into another Animorphs fan here. Let me guess, your favorite character is Marco?

YJ Season 3 was the best depiction of Beast Boy we had in a while. I never understood the criticism he got from fans of the show. Maybe they weren't used to seeing a consistently competent version of BB?
    I think that’s a big part of it. A lot of fans have kinda been conditioned to think BB is solely comedic relief so any role he has that deviates from that is awkward. I think the other part was the almost objectively cringy #WeareallOutsiders or whatever lol. I get how using social media would fit into Gar’s leadership strategy but it was just so lame .

I read some of the criticisms for YJ! Beast Boy, and its not that fans don't like more competent version of BB, they felt that they would rather see Beast Boy's development and growth to become competent hero onscreen instead of him suddenly being competent and leading around other heroes. They said the Season 3 just ham fisted Beast Boy's development and making him suddenly competent feels very off and wasted potential.

I think these posts explain these criticisms better than I did, so I recommend you to check it out.

https://fireflyxrebel-writes.tumblr....t-boy-from-dc/

https://loubuggins.tumblr.com/post/1...st-boy-in-yjo/

Another reason would be that Beast Boy was mostly out of focus in the first part of Season 3, until the episode Nightmare Monkey that is, so him suddenly getting a larger role and leading literal Outsiders team in Second Part was pretty off to the fans who has been watch Nightwing's outsiders group in the first part, as well as fans of original 6 of YJ group.

I also wanted to acknowledged that since Beast Boy first appeared in 1965, 2020 marked as the 55th anniversary for Beast Boy.

I loved him when the original TT cartoon was airing and dug him in the recent season of YJ. I haven't gotten into his comic stuff yet but I guess I'm just bored seeing him in the Titans again.

Oh well.

Hell yeah. And Gar reminds me so much of him. Shape shifting, comedic characters who are a lot smarter than they let on and use humor to mask their real emotions. They're practically the same person XD

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    I read some of the criticisms for YJ! Beast Boy, and its not that fans don't like more competent version of BB, they felt that they would rather see Beast Boy's development and growth to become competent hero onscreen instead of him suddenly being competent and leading around other heroes. They said the Season 3 just ham fisted Beast Boy's development and making him suddenly competent feels very off and wasted potential.

I think these posts explain these criticisms better than I did, so I recommend you to check it out.

https://fireflyxrebel-writes.tumblr....t-boy-from-dc/

https://loubuggins.tumblr.com/post/1...st-boy-in-yjo/

Another reason would be that Beast Boy was mostly out of focus in the first part of Season 3, until the episode Nightmare Monkey that is, so him suddenly getting a larger role and leading literal Outsiders team in Second Part was pretty off to the fans who has been watch Nightwing's outsiders group in the first part, as well as fans of original 6 of YJ group.
    Yeah. I can understand that. And it did seem like a really weird move to have Gar pretty much start the Titans....only to name it the Outsiders...even though Nightwing's team is WAY closer to what the actual Outsiders are. But then, weird and nonsensical moves was kind of the name of the game in season 3. Gar's handling wasn't perfect. It definitely didn't help that a lot of big things happened to him, during both time skips, that we didn't get to see (woulda been REAL nice to see the Doom Patrol outside of an admittedly hilarious TTGO parody).

But, overall, I still found it to be a lot better than what we got for a lot of other secondary characters. And I definitely thought it was strongest plot of that season. It's just a shame that so much of the character development in this show gets lost between unneeded time skips. Between that and the piss poor job it does at juggling so many characters at once, I really wish they were able to split off into multiple shows. Or at least some spin off comics. Start a new DCAU or something. This universe is definitely great enough (and big enough) to warrant that.
    Last edited by Blue22; 09-01-2020 at 06:33 PM.