Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lgcruz View Post
    Looked up travis moore, seems he's been penciling for a while for a dc but this is his first time writing so i guess we'll see how it goes.

As for gabriel picolo, he recently showed some of his panelling for teen titans:beast boy in a new york comic con panel, and basically talked about how much he liked adding more slice of life elements into his art. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-jPgLrzzA
    He could always learn how to be a writer. Sean Murphy and Chip Zdarsky did.

Amazing Member

Before the doomed and the damned, it seems beast boy also featured in a short story from the dog days of summer summer special, even though it wasn't that great.

BB dog days summer.jpg

I much rather preferred what jurgens did with him in the Titans: Burning rage miniseries, bringing back focus to his relationship with his foster father mento and letting him flex his powers a bit.

garzilla.jpg

I much rather preferred what jurgens did with him in the Titans: Burning rage miniseries, bringing back focus to his relationship with his foster father mento and letting him flex his powers a bit.
    I fully acknowledge that I haven't read that one. So I went and looked up synopsis. Don't have full picture of course, but this strikes me as more of the "NTT repeating stories" thing that happens so much. Gar and Dayton-gone-crazy by helmet - we've done it several times before. Just like Raven and demonic issues, Vic and his man v. machine storyline, and horrible things repeatedly happening to Tamaran. They need some new material instead of rerecording their greatest hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I fully acknowledge that I haven't read that one. So I went and looked up synopsis. Don't have full picture of course, but this strikes me as more of the "NTT repeating stories" thing that happens so much. Gar and Dayton-gone-crazy by helmet - we've done it several times before. Just like Raven and demonic issues, Vic and his man v. machine storyline, and horrible things repeatedly happening to Tamaran. They need some new material instead of rerecording their greatest hits.
    True, I like to see him and other Titans in different stories. Beast Boy has some similarities to Animal Man in terms of powers (the former are morphing abilities and the latter is imitating and limited morphing), having a vegan lifestyle and acting. I would like to see Beast Boy having surreal adventures similar to the teen titans animated show like him fighting Control Freak or Mumbo Jumbo (Just like Red X they should be integrated into the comics they are fun and unique characters) or even having supernatural stories since his powers are connected to the red and him meeting other animal-powered heroes such as Animal Man and Vixen.

Did Gar get aged up in that last Titans run or is he still a teen?
    Last edited by 9th.; 10-28-2020 at 03:12 AM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Amazing Member

He went through a phase of hulkification after no justice, but at the end of the titans run he did look older... although still not over 20.

titans vol 36 cover.jpg

As for burning rage, a bit of spoilers but steve dayton is not the one playing the role of mento, so it's not exactly a rethread. It's not a ntt reunion either, since the robin is tim drake and his style is obviously different than nightwings', but obviously this is not reinventing the wheel given johns' 2003 titans series. I was just pointing out that it had decent characterisation, which is sadly often put aside in favour of gimmicks.

That said, since Didio is no longer in editorial and damian is out of the teen titans books for a while, maybe he will have opportunity to lead the tt without some sort of crisis event screwing it up like in pre flashpoint era? I mean ideally he could have a solo mainline book since there's lot of potential to be explored, but i find it unlikely in the near future.

beast boy green on white.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lgcruz View Post
    He went through a phase of hulkification after no justice, but at the end of the titans run he did look older... although still not over 20.

titans vol 36 cover.jpg

As for burning rage, a bit of spoilers but steve dayton is not the one playing the role of mento, so it's not exactly a rethread. It's not a ntt reunion either, since the robin is tim drake and his style is obviously different than nightwings', but obviously this is not reinventing the wheel given johns' 2003 titans series. I was just pointing out that it had decent characterisation, which is sadly often put aside in favour of gimmicks.

That said, since Didio is no longer in editorial and damian is out of the teen titans books for a while, maybe he will have opportunity to lead the tt without some sort of crisis event screwing it up like in pre flashpoint era? I mean ideally he could have a solo mainline book since there's lot of potential to be explored, but i find it unlikely in the near future.

beast boy green on white.jpg
    Well thats disappointing, what I think BB needs is one of those random Maxi series that DC keeps tossing out. I wouldn't mind him leading the Titans though.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Amazing Member

Turns out the beast boy graphic novel got enough votes to reach the semi-finals of the goodreads' choice awards.

A nice way to end the year, compared to how he started.

bb playing.jpg

If Gar did have a solo, and you had complete magic control of it (doesn't even have to be set in current continuity), what would you do with it? Which characterization of Gar, which physical appearance, how would his powers work (I mean, he had nothing to do with the Red at first, because it wasn't invented until much later, he had no affinity with animals as I recall, etc.). And what sort of supporting characters or villains would you create for him? While I loved him and Vic as bffs, and could ship him and Raven under certain circumstances, I'm looking for him working alone in this setup. How old would he be? Would he have an occupation? Would he have any money (I know he was originally due to inherit from his biological parents, but I don't know if that persisted post-COIE or in New 52). Is he acting and among the Hollywood set? Trying to do a mundane 9-5? Inherited from parents (either set)?

I like the NTT-era Gar. And would have a grown up and less obnoxious version of him (really liked watching him grow). He's grown out of making jokes to hide his own insecurities. And even overcome some of those insecurities, too. Competent when he wants to be - like planning Donna's wedding. Still flashy when dressing up. And just a green person with powers, as he was back then. No fangs, no tail, no pointy ears, no affinity with animals, not a vegetarian. Probably would alienate some current fans, though. Rita and Steve and the rest of the DP are dead. No more going-mad/going evil stories for Mento. He's in the past. Gar would be Changeling (will never happen, I know, and maybe not so great from a business POV, but I decided to make this for me, not DC, since they aren't going to do it anyway - you can do what you think will sell best, if you like). I think he should be at least 24 - past the point where anyone should think of him as a boy. He's man, and (at the beginning) starting a new phase of his life. I prefer a set location and supporting cast - I'm rarely one for travel heroes (Ralph and Sue as an exception).

What I can't decide on is how much money he has and what his occupation is if he has one. He was very hesitant about taking over Dayton's business back in the day. If he does that, I might like seeing Questor again, depending on his characterization/role. Gar can keep trying acting, but he's limited to fairly niche roles because of his appearance. Always endorsements, I guess, if Booster doesn't already have them all locked up. Certainly secret identity is not on the table for him. Co-workers or employees could make a decent supporting cast. Of if he hangs out at a certain bar or has a club, other people there. I don't really see him as routine-schedule volunteer type person.

I would like phone calls and photos of his Titans buddies, so we remember they exist. Maybe occasional guest spots.

I always liked Ascended's idea of him being a celebrity activist as an adult. I'd probably have older versions of Tank and Stella from the YA graphic novel pop up as part of his supporting cast. He reconnects with some friends he had when he was younger which becomes a theme in their friendship.

His friends from Titans would pop up from time to time but not a big part of his solo.

Amazing Member

Well, I wouldn't go as far as taking away all his animalistic qualities; rather, I would justify him having them because the more he uses his powers, the less his human form becomes his default appearence. And by this point, gar would need to concentrate in order to become fully human - not that this is a bad thing, as it means he has enhaced senses in normal life.

If I were writing for a beast boy solo, and were granted a minimum of 12 issues, I would organize it as a 1# for intro, 2-4# vixen arc, 4-7# bwana beast arc, 7-10# animal man arc and 10-12# final battle, with one main villain for the 12 issues and 3 sub villains for each arc. The main "theme" is exploring gar's worth and hopes for the future, with vixen focusing on his powers and way of life, bwana beast on his evolution and upbringing and animal man on his morals and relationships. Page formating would be based on a 2x4 grid.

spoilers:
    The intro would start by depicting him as the lighthearted hero you'd expect, except someone is watching this and debating if it would be better to ignore him, recruit him or eliminate him... Now from a neutral perspective we see him wakim up and quietly deciding to wear a suit, which doesn't fit him perfectly. He moves out of his house, buys some flowers ("it's for his parents") and heads for a cemetery. In silence, he finds the two graves he was looking for, but there's a person watching him from a suitable angles that starts setting up a gun...as he leans over to tidy up the gravesite, he gets shot. He nearly passes out from the shock, but a glimpse of his blood sprayed on his parents tombstones sends him into a rage and he manages to transform. He gets hit by a second shot, but this allows him to spot and track down the shooter, who in a panic pulls a sidearm and tries to flee but, but gar is too fast and savagely pounces on him.

The fight is unequal, and the shooter is getting brutally mauled, but right when he is about to be finished off, he begs for mercy... and gar narrowly redirects his attack, staring down his enemy as he gradually regains control. Gar calls emergency services, applies first aid with the clothes he has available and hears details from his attacker as he waits for the ambulance. He hears something about the parliament of the red, and as he leaves the attacker in the paramedic's hands to start looking for hints, there's a freaky animal that lures him in, and transports him to right in the middle of the parliament of limbs.

They seem surprised at his presence there but soon turn hostile, calling him a abomination tapping into natural powers through artificial means that represents a danger to the red. Gar defends himself through his heroic deeds, gets pointed out the times he lost control, he fights back they argue over his background ... until the parliament of limbs realizes that someone, or something is taking advantage of the red for their own ends. This means it's own agents can't be used, as they're likely to be subverted, so they decide on teaming up with beast boy to find this someone since his artificial origin allows him to be independent, which also suits gar as he wants to pay that someone back for trying to kill him. He declares he is gonna show them all what he can do, and that's the end of issue 1#
    end of spoilers

Story from then on would have a few important reveals and action pieces spoilers:
    biggest reveal being that gar is actually unable to forget events from before other continuity resets ever since superboy prime punched reality, as portrayed in the image below
    end of spoilers, but focus on his relationship and the advice he gets from the three other heroes.

garfield logan background.jpg

Really, there's many directions you could take the character but i wouldn't want to turn this into a fanfiction thread.

I would renamed him back to Changeling and make him mature but also keeping his light-hearted and quippy demeanour in the same vein as Spider-Man. Gar should be in his early 20's so he is in the same age gap as his NTT contemporaries. I remember that he has a cousin named Matt so he could work as a supporting character for Gar. I like the Teen Titans: Beast Boy graphic novel, so I would not mind seeing Stella and Tank as part of his supporting cast as well, Stella could be a famous Twitch streamer and ViewTuber (DC's Youtube). I like his relationships with the Titans such as being BFFs with Cyborg and his romantic relationship Raven but if we are going to do a Beast Boy solo I rather have them in guest/recurring roles since we need to focus Gar as a solo hero and not a Titan, he could have a weird adventure with Cyborg similar to Bill and Ted or a horror story with Raven.

Garfield was an actor so maybe he could meet Animal Man, an actor who also happens to be vegan and a superhero with animal-based powers they are quite similar so I like to see them interact, Buddy Baker could serve as a mentor to Beast Boy and would play the role better than Mento (Gar's adoptive father) and maybe both Steve and Buddy know each other through Rita/Elasti-Girl because she is also an actor, Steve Dayton could own an entertainment company and decided to develop a Space Trek reboot project. It would be cool if he meets other Doom Patrol members such as Crazy Jane and Dorothy, also characters connected to the red such as Vixen and B'Wanna Beast, and learning more about his powers and origin. Another role I think it would be interesting if he had a role similar to David Attenborough where he travels around the world and narrating about animals and their habitat, kids loves animals and Gar is someone with a likeable personality with animal powers which makes him popular to the young demographic. I would like him to form a proper relationship Damian Wayne (and Jon Kent) since he is also passionate about animals which gives them a vegetarian lifestyle and both have a don't of creative arts as well as working at their father's companies. Jayna of the Wonder Twins could serve as a mentee to Garfield than Superman because they are both animal shapeshifters and Garfield has a lot of experience which would benefit her, and Gar being a jokester at heart could be dying to say "Wonder Twins powers activate!".

He does not have that much of a rogue gallery, I know he has his uncle, the Zookeeper and Terra (she is neutral in the Deathstroke series, I prefer if he stays away from having a romantic relationship with Terra) and both The Braun and Monsieur Mallah seems to turn over a new leaf in Red Hood and the Outlaws, Granny Goodness serves as an enemy to him in the Young Justice animated series. Control Freak and Mumbo Jumbo could work well as Gar's villains since they are wacky, unique and colourful.

I remember that he has a cousin named Matt so he could work as a supporting character for Gar
    I know he was the mini. His existence never worked for me, given Gar's original backstory had him with an unscrupulous guardian after his parents were killed. I mean, sure, he could still have relatives, but it's kinda like Dick Grayson's Aunt Harriet appearing out of nowhere, having never been mentioned before to me. Though that backstory isn't canon anymore, anyway, I guess.

I like the Teen Titans: Beast Boy graphic novel, so I would not mind seeing Stella and Tank as part of his supporting cast as well
    They seem popular. Cool.

Buddy Baker could serve as a mentor to Beast Boy and would play the role better than Mento (Gar's adoptive father)
    So you think he's at the place to need a mentor even when he's in his early 20s and already been a hero for nearly a decade?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

So you think he's at the place to need a mentor even when he's in his early 20s and already been a hero for nearly a decade?
    I think a better example of what I said is that Animal Man would take an interest in Beast Boy and act as a guide to him. He is connected to the Red but I doubt that he knows about the elemental force so Buddy could help him and inform him about the Red and other parliaments of life, and I see him as an older brother or maybe as a father figure to him when it comes to emotional support.

Man does BB just not age dude looked like 10 year old in today's appearance