Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    I think a better example of what I said is that Animal Man would take an interest in Beast Boy and act as a guide to him. He is connected to the Red but I doubt that he knows about the elemental force so Buddy could help him and inform him about the Red and other parliaments of life, and I see him as an older brother or maybe as a father figure to him when it comes to emotional support.
    Ah, I really don't like Gar connected to the Red at all (much preferring his original pseduo-scientific origin)*, so obviously we have different perspectives. Not really keen on an adult gaining a regularly-appearing father figure. Not saying it can't work, because I've seen it work occasionally. But with someone like Gar, who's been held back from growing up so many times, I do rather think it would be easy for him to end up in the "kid" role again, even though he's grown. And that's a big no-no for me.

* For the record it's not just Gar. It's just those sort of Forces aren't my thing, especially when retconned onto characters not designed with them in mind. Ivy with the Green, Gar and Mari with the Red (never read Animal Man), even the Speed Force. Just not my thing. I'm well aware many people absolutely love that sort of thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Ah, I really don't like Gar connected to the Red at all (much preferring his original pseduo-scientific origin)*, so obviously we have different perspectives. Not really keen on an adult gaining a regularly-appearing father figure. Not saying it can't work, because I've seen it work occasionally. But with someone like Gar, who's been held back from growing up so many times, I do rather think it would be easy for him to end up in the "kid" role again, even though he's grown. And that's a big no-no for me.

* For the record it's not just Gar. It's just those sort of Forces aren't my thing, especially when retconned onto characters not designed with them in mind. Ivy with the Green, Gar and Mari with the Red (never read Animal Man), even the Speed Force. Just not my thing. I'm well aware many people absolutely love that sort of thing.
    I'd argue that the Red,the Green, the Melt and all of the other elemental/conceptual ideas need to be fleshed out more. Of all the Parliaments, only the Green and to a lesser extent, the Red are fleshed out.

Speed Force is another animal entirely, it needs to be put down because writers use it as a crutch/ deus ex machina/ diabolos ex machina or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

I liked the Red and Green concepts it is alright if you don't like the concept everyone has their own opinions. Out of all the titans, Beast Boy's origin just seems it needs more expanding on because Nightwing has a simplistic origin which works, Victor was transformed into a Cyborg by his father to save him from the brink of death and Raven is the antichrist. I want to know more about Sakuita and where it comes from because I remember that all the kids from the Teen Titans book had BB's power before they were cured so I thought it would be cool if it has some ties to the Red, and I thought to myself a kong time ago to know where is he getting this extra mass I know it is comic but it would be kinda nice to know.

I want Beast Boy to stop being treated as comic relief because he is much deeper than that. I believe that him being a kid and taking the role of comic relief and nothing just hurts him and not allow him to evolve in a way that makes him a stronger character. I think Gar should be more like Spiderman where he does quips and have a sense of humour but knows how to get serious when the situation calls for it.

Amazing Member

When I suggested making a story about gar meeting vixen, b´wana beast and animal man is because:

1)he never actually met them so far
    2)It would be a way to set him apart from other heroes with similar powers
    3)their way of life would challenge him to better himself (vixen an example of a self made woman, b´wana beast of someone more comfortable with nature and animal man as someone who managed to build a family)

Him taking any of these three as a mentor doesn´t make sense to me, as even if you only considered new 52 history he should have more heroing experience than any of them. I wasn´t thinking of making the red something he could tap into or even the focus of his powers, rather it would be something separate that he would have to deal with and comprehend.

As for beast boy´s origin, assuming they keep it as arnold drake intended it, is straightforward enough. He got his powers thanks to his parents research into evolution, which they had to apply on their own son to keep him from succumbing to sakutia, which is just a fantasy incurable disease that can be transmitted from monkeys to humans (think HIV, except decades earlier) with the final stage symptom being the skin turning green. The idea that sakutia gave him powers is a mistake from geoff johns. The image below is from wolfmans´ tales of the new teen titans, which to me is the single issue that best introduces the character.

RCO005_w.jpg

And it´s interesting you would mention spiderman, because much like doom patrol was a response from the fantastic 4, it´s clear to me that beast boy was a response to spider man, given his origin and the fact arnold drake at the time thought marvel was leading comic storytelling and dc needed to compete.