Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default "Green Lantern" Morrison's last DC work ever?

https://www.cbr.com/green-lantern-gr...-dc-work-ever/

If true, not exactly the way I envisioned Morrison going out. I'm sure his die hard fans will argue otherwise but I feel his GL has been a mess.

Oh, man. I think he does the best Hal Jordan since Englehart.

That’s a huge bummer. Here’s hoping that down the road he has an idea for another character and decides to return.

A couple of days later, Sharp added, "This time I think it’s true. He doesn’t need the work, and most of his associates have gone now. Time to concentrate on his own material I think! :-)"

It seemed like Grant had a good working relationship with Didio. Basically Didio let him do whatever he wanted and come and go as he pleased.

Retired

Never say never again.

Alan Moore thought he had done his last work for D.C. And then they acquired Wildstorm--and A.B.C. with it.

Just when you think you're out, they drag you back in.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I can understand how Morrison feels. He really doesn't need to write corporate comics anymore, and I imagine he's said everything he wants to say about the DCU already. His love for this multiverse is clearly genuine, though, so I imagine if some editor or executive at DC manages to sweet talk him like Didio did with Hal Jordan, and he's given assurances that he'll be left alone to do his own thing, he might come back for a special project at some point.

But the days of Grant Morrison writing a monthly series at DC or Marvel is done.

Mighty Member

I hope so, (I get that some people really like his work and respect that) but I've found his work on Green Lantern so unbearable I dropped the title.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

It seemed like Didio was definitely the reason he kept coming back, so this isn’t too shocking.

Interesting, Morrison's GL is the most I've liked of his work at DC since his Batman run after some misses with WW and I think the best Hal story since New Frontier/John's early years.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-31-2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: missing words

Hope not. That'd be a disappointing note to go out on.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Interesting, Morrison's GL is the most I've liked of his work at DC since his Batman run after some misses with WW and I think best the Hal story since New Frontier/John's early years.
    I think it's just personal taste, I...just...can't...get into his writing at all. It would be nice to know the sales numbers to see if I'm in the minority, but COVID makes that difficult.

I can't see Morrison ever writing ideas but I think he's just about done everything at DC that he could do and doesn't need monthly comics as a source of income at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I think it's just personal taste, I...just...can't...get into his writing at all. It would be nice to know the sales numbers to see if I'm in the minority, but COVID makes that difficult.
    Nah, I get it. There's been Morrison stuff I've read I can't really say I liked.

I think he will be back for some special projects, just not montly, I hope. The Green Lantern is may favorite DC tittle right now, before Morrison, all Green Lanterns were interchangeable to me, but now Hal is my favorite. With John Constantine Hellblazer and Hawkman also ending, nothing in DC excite me anymore.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    If we're speaking strictly about his Green Lantern, it's been selling on average in the 30,000-40,000 range. Solid, but certainly not matching what he did with Batman or even All Star Superman, and down from when Johns was at his peak with the character.

The thing with Morrison is everything of his reads substantially better in trades. He's not generally known as a timely writer to begin with (although I give him credit, his GL has actually been pretty on-schedule) and coupled with his unusual writing method it makes reading a single issue written by him almost unreadable IMO. It took me going back and re-reading his Batman run as essentially one single story to really appreciate what he did with that character.

However, I have not been able to get into his Green Lantern at all. I consider Johns as the gold standard for the character and nothing Morrison has written has come close to touching that. For me it's just a weird mess. So my hope is that this isn't how he goes out, but indications are just that.

Retired

Weren't we promised another Multiverse book from Morrison?