Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Weren't we promised another Multiverse book from Morrison?
    IDK. He's talked about doing a lot of different follow-ups over the years including some more All Star Superman. But Didio kind of gave him carte blanche control with his books and I don't foresee that being the case with New DC.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd much prefer more creator owned work from Morrison. I'd love to see where he's at outside of the relationship to superheroes and have it be nice and lengthy. THE INVISIBLES is my favourite comic book series. I yearn for a long form creator owned book from him.

Of course I'd take more DC work from him, too- his GL run with Liam Sharp has been dope. Anything he does is a joy to read. He's one of the greatest of all time, in comics and also just in literature at large. He's one of the greatest authors of our time. Of any time, really.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-01-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    If we're speaking strictly about his Green Lantern, it's been selling on average in the 30,000-40,000 range. Solid, but certainly not matching what he did with Batman or even All Star Superman, and down from when Johns was at his peak with the character.

The thing with Morrison is everything of his reads substantially better in trades. He's not generally known as a timely writer to begin with (although I give him credit, his GL has actually been pretty on-schedule) and coupled with his unusual writing method it makes reading a single issue written by him almost unreadable IMO. It took me going back and re-reading his Batman run as essentially one single story to really appreciate what he did with that character.

However, I have not been able to get into his Green Lantern at all. I consider Johns as the gold standard for the character and nothing Morrison has written has come close to touching that. For me it's just a weird mess. So my hope is that this isn't how he goes out, but indications are just that.
    I can agree with that, Geoff Johns is definitely the gold standard for GL, I don't think anyone has written him better, unless you go back and get TPB of Denny O' Neil's Green Lantern/Green Arrow run.

Well that's interesting on Morrison. Oddly enough I've never run into his work, for years I had friends rave about him, so after reading his GL, I'm kind of like....this is the great Morrison?

Oh well, should be ending soon.

Retired

Different strokes for different folks I guess. When I read Morrison's D.C. super-heroes, I feel like he read the same comic books that I read when I was a kid. Geoff Johns may have read the same comics, as back issues, but he must have got something very different out of them from what I got.

The one big difference between Morrison and Johns is that Grant has a style which is very complex and therefore challenging to read. I'm surprised that he has so many fans, since it's a lot of hard work to get into his stories (although rewarding if you do). Whereas, Geoff's style is not challenging and it's easy enough to get through his stories, but they follow a familiar route.

Astonishing Member

I don't think anyone is surprised. Morrison has already said everything he wanted in superheroics, at least in DC. And also, given what is happening in the company, it is not surprising that he has no desire to stay there.
    And also, as far as I understand, he is friends with DiDio. After he left, there is no one to call him back.
    But it's a pity that he will not write Arkham Asylum 2 as he planned.

Well, that's sad to hear. Morrison's work is very hit or miss for me. Though when he he hits, he hits big. I absolutely love his Superman work, for example. I've really enjoyed Green Lantern. When it comes to DC heroes, he seems to get what's at the core of the character and really showcase it. He has some strange and heady ideas. Sometime it takes me a re-read to get what he's saying. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of the characters he works on. When he's off though, he's really off. I don't like everything I read by him but I like enough that I'll always give him a chance. I'm curious to see what he does next.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

That's a shame. DC is better with him than without him. I hope we still at least get Wonder Woman Earth One volume 3.

His GL hasn't been his best work, but I think it's still the best thing coming out of DC right now, the best run Hal has had in the modern age and a solid note to go out on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. When I read Morrison's D.C. super-heroes, I feel like he read the same comic books that I read when I was a kid. Geoff Johns may have read the same comics, as back issues, but he must have got something very different out of them from what I got.

The one big difference between Morrison and Johns is that Grant has a style which is very complex and therefore challenging to read. I'm surprised that he has so many fans, since it's a lot of hard work to get into his stories (although rewarding if you do). Whereas, Geoff's style is not challenging and it's easy enough to get through his stories, but they follow a familiar route.
    Agreed. I credit Johns for getting me into Hal's character and his run is still great, but I think Morrison writes a much better Hal. He's more nuanced and his writing has much better re-read value in general.

Johns could write Hal as likeable and exciting, but he could also lapse into the traits that make him come off as a douche to the point where some of the character's detractors have some valid criticisms. Morrison avoids some of this traps, and straddles the line better. Hal's a tough nut to crack, but is rewarding when a writer nails him. Much like Superman, Morrison does it with Hal.

I like Morrison's GL as a nice departure from the mediocrity that was Venditti's run. The franchise needed a shot in the arm creatively, and Morrison certainly supplied that.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I hope so, (I get that some people really like his work and respect that) but I've found his work on Green Lantern so unbearable I dropped the title.
    Not to be mean, but I came here to say the EXACT same thing...Adios!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The thing with Morrison is everything of his reads substantially better in trades. He's not generally known as a timely writer to begin with (although I give him credit, his GL has actually been pretty on-schedule) and coupled with his unusual writing method it makes reading a single issue written by him almost unreadable IMO. It took me going back and re-reading his Batman run as essentially one single story to really appreciate what he did with that character.
    I always find it weird when people profess that a writer whose books are extremely hard and uninteresting to get through in single issue format miraculously reads so much better in trade. To me, it's similar to when people say a train wreck of a movie that's bad from top to bottom is all of a sudden somehow a MASTERPIECE when it gets a Director's Cut or an Extended Version; it's usually just an even longer and even more unbearable to get through train wreck than it was in the shorter format.

***Not trying to discredit your opinion, just giving my own.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I can agree with that, Geoff Johns is definitely the gold standard for GL, I don't think anyone has written him better, unless you go back and get TPB of Denny O' Neil's Green Lantern/Green Arrow run.
    Geoff Johns is definitely the gold standard for HAL'S GL. But if we are talking just GL in general, my all-time favorite stuff was Ron Marz's Kyle run. But I realize that I am in the minority and that most people would not pick Ron Marz's Kyle Green Lantern run over Geoff Johns' Hal Green Lantern stuff, and that Marz's Green Lantern setup was a pretty abnormal one by general Green Lantern standards.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 09-01-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I always find it weird when people profess that a writer whose books are extremely hard and uninteresting to get through in single issue format miraculously reads so much better in trade. To me, it's similar to when people say a train wreck of a movie that's bad from top to bottom is all of a sudden somehow a MASTERPIECE when it gets a Director's Cut or an Extended Version; it's usually just an even longer and even more unbearable to get through train wreck than it was in the shorter format.

No worries, and I understand completely what you're saying. For what it's worth, Morrison is capable of writing single-issue stories that are amazing, as All Star Superman proves.

And I'm certainly not a Morrison sycophant or apologist. I think the criticism he receives for his confusing writing style is just. But I still appreciate the man's talents and there's no question he's been recognized as one of the greatest writers the medium has had for the better part of four decades now.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post

It's mostly because there are month long breaks between installments, if not longer, so you don't always have the immediate chapters prior fresh in your memory so you can't always remember subtle details. Or subtle details have a longer wait for payoff than if you can just turn the page more immediately. It's not really like a movie which you get in one sitting.

Personally, I've fallen off of the monthly reading for TGL but I intend to get the trades. For season 1 though, I don't really get the complaints that it's a mess. I can see it not being someone's cup of tea, but "unbearable" seems a bit much. It's fairly easy to follow overall IMO, despite a couple issues (mainly #6 and #2 of what I read of season 2) being a little too self indulgent on Morrison's part.

Funny, Morrison packing so much on TGL issues is one of the reasons I love it so much. Is so refreshing read a comic that is mostly one and done adventures, yes, that is some cliffhangers at the end of each issue, but is more an invitantion to read the next one, than a necessity to understand what is going on.

In a time when most comics force us to read entire arcs just to see a entire conversation plays out or to understand what is going on, is good to be able to get whole story in just one issue.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I will miss him so much, he got me back into comics with his his New X-Men and then his Batman and he cemented his G.O.A.T. in my mind with All Star Superman.

It's kinda crazy how he has written nearly every iconic title there is and made it completely unique it's a talent I will miss dearly.

I hope DC starts to develop talent that can get in the vicinity of Morrison's caliber because as it stands, it is severely lacking.