Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Best issue from Lobdell's second run without a doubt.

Just out of curiosity, what was the startling Starfire's story that Harras suggested?

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what was the startling Starfire's story that Harras suggested?
    The drug addiction arc that has just started.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Well, I see that Starfire still doesn't understand what clothes are. Whose she sleeping with nowadays?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Well, I see that Starfire still doesn't understand what clothes are. Whose she sleeping with nowadays?
    Roy. She's still sleeping with Roy. Roy is the ONLY guy with whom she has slept since the New 52 began.

Anyway, I remain pleasantly surprised by this run.

God help me, I'm actually starting to like Jason!

Nice to see Kori refuse to kill. Nice to see Jason and Roy convincing her to not kill.

All in all? An emotionally charged issue that is doing a lot to change my mind about this book.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I honestly don't know why she hasn't gotten a better costume than the string bikini she wears yet. I mean Milo Manara draws a variant cover for the Spider-woman book and the entire internet is up in arms about it.

And she is still with Roy, but it isn't much of a relationship. It's just sort of there and lacks any real development. It's sort of weird how their relationship is kind of dull but their friendship really works well. Though honestly, I think they are "together" still just to quell the outrage the first few issues of this run caused. I would really love to see Cheshire come back and get involved with Roy, but Lobdell really isn't a fan of the character unfortunately. Though if I remember correctly Cheshire is appearing in something come November. I think I remember her on a cover. Maybe Aquaman and the Others.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I honestly don't know why she hasn't gotten a better costume than the string bikini she wears yet. I mean Milo Manara draws a variant cover for the Spider-woman book and the entire internet is up in arms about it.

And she is still with Roy, but it isn't much of a relationship. It's just sort of there and lacks any real development. It's sort of weird how their relationship is kind of dull but their friendship really works well. Though honestly, I think they are "together" still just to quell the outrage the first few issues of this run caused. I would really love to see Cheshire come back and get involved with Roy, but Lobdell really isn't a fan of the character unfortunately. Though if I remember correctly Cheshire is appearing in something come November. I think I remember her on a cover. Maybe Aquaman and the Others.
    when did he say that? it would be a shame not bring in cheshire, she was the only thing i liked about tynions tenure on the book.

Bronze Tiger is one stupid shapeshifting amulet away from being a promising character. And up until the onehit punch Shiva was better then the one we got in Nightwing.

I liked Tynion's whole vision of the League of Assassins as a league of notable assassins each accomplished in their own right rather an army of worthless ninja fodder.

I picked this up today for the first time - I haven't read any of the previous issues, though I'm familiar with the characters. I liked the story, though Starfire's brutality was a little hard to take. Is that an ongoing thing?

On a seriously nit-picking note, I'm annoyed that the phrase 'you're friend was right' was able to slip past the proof readers.

BANNED

he simply said he had no plans to use cheshire, not that he didn't like her. here's an excerpt from the ama lobdell did befor starting rhato

"I don't have any plans for it, but I wouldn't rule it out either! I will confess something though, I kind of don't like when characters are largely defined by other characters. Sure, character interaction and history is important -- but Roy should not only be as interesting as he is with Cheshire... any more than Kori is only as interesting as she is in regard to Dick. For that matter, I don't think Jason is only as interesting as his relationship with Bruce/Batman. So yeah, while I imagine Roy will meet up with Cheshire at some point, I'm concentrating on Roy first"

Lacks development? Have you missed how has Roy stance changed since the beggining of the book until now? At first Roy was too scared and unsecure to call Kory his girlfriend, now he has grown comfortable and confident to use those terms when talking about Kory. And Kory is willing to accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo Elf View Post
    I picked this up today for the first time - I haven't read any of the previous issues, though I'm familiar with the characters. I liked the story, though Starfire's brutality was a little hard to take. Is that an ongoing thing?

On a seriously nit-picking note, I'm annoyed that the phrase 'you're friend was right' was able to slip past the proof readers.
    Kory is more pragmatic and less willing to lose time now, so she tends to avoid playing around and is all about business. She might seem ruthless but then again, that's why she's considered an Outlaw.

The grammar mistakes don't have an excuse though.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    he simply said he had no plans to use cheshire, not that he didn't like her. here's an excerpt from the ama lobdell did befor starting rhato

"I don't have any plans for it, but I wouldn't rule it out either! I will confess something though, I kind of don't like when characters are largely defined by other characters. Sure, character interaction and history is important -- but Roy should not only be as interesting as he is with Cheshire... any more than Kori is only as interesting as she is in regard to Dick. For that matter, I don't think Jason is only as interesting as his relationship with Bruce/Batman. So yeah, while I imagine Roy will meet up with Cheshire at some point, I'm concentrating on Roy first"
    This is what I like about Lobdell, he understands the importance of some factors but he wants to grow the characters beyond that, and honestly? that's something that all the writers should do.

I'm happy with Cheshire staying away from the book because I never find her appealing since I found her being an horrible character with no reedeming qualities whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    I liked Tynion's whole vision of the League of Assassins as a league of notable assassins each accomplished in their own right rather an army of worthless ninja fodder.
    God no, Tynion's league was terrible. Turning them into mystical assasins undermines Ra's character and motivations, making him hard to take seriously and the whole concept was filled with more holes than a swiss cheese. Plus, we already had a mystical order on the All-Caste.

Now Nicieza's League is a concept I'd like to see return.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Roy. She's still sleeping with Roy. Roy is the ONLY guy with whom she has slept since the New 52 began.

Nice to see Kori refuse to kill. Nice to see Jason and Roy convincing her to not kill.

All in all? An emotionally charged issue that is doing a lot to change my mind about this book.
    Well it's implied that she also had a thing with Nightwing at some point (the scrapped funeral issue of NW #30 had a flashback of the two in bed together). Although that's one of those confusing pre-New 52 things that DC is trying to say "kind of happened, but not in the same way, not really" deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Lacks development? Have you missed how has Roy stance changed since the beggining of the book until now? At first Roy was too scared and unsecure to call Kory his girlfriend, now he has grown comfortable and confident to use those terms when talking about Kory. And Kory is willing to accept that.
    "Now" being since about two years ago.
    God no, Tynion's league was terrible. Turning them into mystical assasins undermines Ra's character and motivations, making him hard to take seriously and the whole concept was filled with more holes than a swiss cheese.
    HOW? How does it make Ra's harder to take seriously then if they are army of ineffectual ninjas and even more worthless Man-Bats?

Plus, we already had a mystical order on the All-Caste.
    I never said they had to be mystical. Just possessing of individual skills. And the All-Caste had been reduced to three members from the moment they were introduced.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post

Huh, pretty sure she banged Mr. Todd and Nightwing at one point. Her demeanor when she met Roy she made it rather clear that sex is sex and if she wants it she's going to offer it. Nothing wrong with her having sex with multiple partners and not caring who they are, only if they can satisfy her needs. Though she should insist on the use of protection so as to not catch anything from humans.

Besides, if a guy did that they would be getting high-fives(Batman) so why should Starfire getting her game on be looked down upon or denied?

It is odd that Starfire doesn't really get much in the clothing department. Guess fans and the media have accept that's her look or that she's going to used in such an image?

That's a shame, as the first issue implied that she merely wanted a booty call. Seems kinda wrong that she isn't allowed to have booty calls with no strings attached, she is an alien woman and her needs are her own. It isn't right to place human views on her sexuality and sexual desires since that could be quite common for her race as far as we know.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 08-22-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Huh, pretty sure she banged Mr. Todd and Nightwing at one point. Her demeanor when she met Roy she made it rather clear that sex is sex and if she wants it she's going to offer it. Nothing wrong with her having sex with multiple partners and not caring who they are, only if they can satisfy her needs.

Besides, if a guy did that they would be getting high-fives(Batman) so why should Starfire getting her game on be looked down upon or denied?

It is odd that Starfire doesn't really get much in the clothing department. Guess fans and the media have accept that's her look or that she's going to used in such an image?

That's a shame, as the first issue implied that she merely wanted a booty call. Seems kinda wrong that she isn't allowed to have booty calls with no strings attached, she is an alien woman and her needs are her own. It isn't right to place human views on her sexuality and sexual desires since that could be quite common for her race as far as we know.
    Because she never slept with Jason (Lobdell clarified that on issue 32) and her relationship with Dick was so deep and important for her that when they broke she became an hermit on her island. Plus, Kory admitted on issue 15 that she only slept with Roy on the first issue to shut him up, something consisten with her background as slave. Then again, I doubt you've read most of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    "Now" being since about two years ago.

HOW? How does it make Ra's harder to take seriously then if they are army of ineffectual ninjas and even more worthless Man-Bats?

I never said they had to be mystical. Just possessing of individual skills. And the All-Caste had been reduced to three members from the moment they were introduced.
    R'as whole schtick is bein some sort of eco-terrorist Lex Luthor that prides himself as being the righteous leader of mankind, having him going full evil wizard undermines his motivations and strain the credibility of him being defeated just by Bruce. Plus, Tynion's league didn't fare better and was quickly dispatched off panel.

Individual skills like Blodd Magic or Magic Tech? How about magi amulets that turn you into a were tiger or inmunity to all poisons and teleport skills that would made Nightcrawler die of envy?

Any competent writer (and Tynion isn't) could've crafted a great story with the remaining members of the All Caste, make Essence try to rebuild it, S'aru looking into the Acres' secrets, make Jason deal the heritage he just received. But no, he had to destroy everything and replace them with a magic league of assasins because, heck, he blatanly retconned Lobdell's timeline by cramming the League in there. On issue 8 Jason told that after leaving the All Caste he spend a year on Hong Kong gathering resources before enacting his revenge against Batman.