Default DCeased: Dead Planet #3 review, spoilers, and discussion

Alright well this issue is certainly something, because it is most definitely the last of the big set up and also probably the last calm before a giant storm hits. Just from this issue we get an idea of the huge threats outside of the already formidable undead that may rain down hell and brimstone upon our heroes. We also get a surprising reveal of a character I was sure was dead...undead but is alive and kicking at the end of the issue that is a big part of the heroes plan to save the day and perhaps cure the infection before it’s too late. Other then that I’ll say this, if you are here then odds are likely that you already on the DCeased train and don’t need me to vouch for it, it’s a good issue that movies the story and sets stakes. I say enjoy the rest of the ride because it’s about to get rough.

Onto some spoilers and thoughts on the story

spoilers:
    I’m surprised that this story would introduce actual villains, but who we get make sense as the kind of villains who would be opportunistic to set themselves up in the apocalypse at the expense of others. We got Penguin(who is surprisingly tall), Simon Stagg, Dr. Ivo, Etrigan the demon, and Maxwell lord(though swamp thing takes care of him) who have not only manipulated people and forces in the universe to thrive. And unfortunately for our heroes, who the survivors of shadowpact (Zatanna, Constantine, Detective Chimp, and Swamp Thing) are able to warn, they got an army of Amazo’s, hundreds of them ready to kill and from the narration they will.

The worse part is what Etrigan warns about, Hell is mad. They expected souls from the apocalypse and they can’t get them while trapped in the anti-life undead. In comes Trigon who wants to burn the world to the ground to get what he wants.

So we are looking at an army of the undead, villains with no qualms to murder, and hell itself coming for our heroes. It’s not looking pretty is all I’m saying.

So with Cyborg back online and back together and the cure need, only one place can connect to Cyborgs tech and the ant life equation...new genesis. And to get there Constantine recruits....MISTER MIRACLE?!? Wait didn’t he die in Good Day to die? Yeah so apparently Taylor’s retconning himself or at least changing a portion we didn’t see. Turns out Scott Free survived the horde because of his escape abilities or maybe his new godness but Barda died and he’s suffered since only really brought back into the fold on the idea he can save Barda with the cure. What are they taking? Sounds like Metron’s Chair honestly, so add robbing the New Gods to that earlier list of bad things coming.

I think with 4 or so issues left, I think we are about to see some bodies drop.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

BWAHAHAHA!

Just in this week's Hellblazer I was mentioning how overused Taylor's "Rich people suck, hyuk hyuk" social commentary was and here we get stuff like "We face the most evil thing in the world, a bunch of rich bastards". The guy is just not self-aware at all, it seems like he simply can't get more complex than that.

There's the usual gore, some nice character bits here and there although there's a particularly moment of bad characterization when Damian hugs Jim Gordon out of nowhere saying "I'm not as emotionally stunted as my dad" and I was like "Dude, you're DAMIAN F*CKING WAYNE!". Then again, it wouldn't be a Taylor book without off portrayals.

Decent art but aside from that, this was too Taylor for me. Right when DCeased started I mentioned it was the perfect series for him but it turns out is for both the right and the wrong reasons.

I mean I think it’s interesting that the leader of our groups of villains, is the Penguin someone who I would think would be the last person to survive.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    BWAHAHAHA!

Just in this week's Hellblazer I was mentioning how overused Taylor's "Rich people suck, hyuk hyuk" social commentary was and here we get stuff like "We face the most evil thing in the world, a bunch of rich bastards". The guy is just not self-aware at all, it seems like he simply can't get more complex than that.

There's the usual gore, some nice character bits here and there although there's a particularly moment of bad characterization when Damian hugs Jim Gordon out of nowhere saying "I'm not as emotionally stunted as my dad" and I was like "Dude, you're DAMIAN F*CKING WAYNE!". Then again, it wouldn't be a Taylor book without off portrayals.

Decent art but aside from that, this was too Taylor for me. Right when DCeased started I mentioned it was the perfect series for him but it turns out is for both the right and the wrong reasons.
    Honestly I didn't think Damian's portrayal was off since we don't have anything to judge it against.

We don't have another Damian who grew up away from Bruce's special brand of parenting so this might very well be what he's going to turn out like.

Heck canon Damian is young and still developing. He might very well become more Dick grayson than Bruce Wayne.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Damian's portrayal isn't off since we don't have anything to judge it against.

We don't have another Damian who grew up away from bruce's special brand of parenting so this might very well be what he's going to turn out like.

Heck canon Damian is young and still developing. He might very well become more Dick grayson than Bruce Wayne.
    Bruce barely has any input in Damian's personality.

Damian is Damian.

(Also, Damian by himself decided to be more proactive against criminal because he thought Bruce didn't go far enough in this continuity).

I thought it was a great issue. I knew it had to be the Floronic Man but wasn’t expecting him to be tortured/forced into creating another garden. It was really cool to see Scott alive but I was kind of disappointed with the reasons that John needs him. I was hoping he’d have The Life Equation inside of him as I’ve always seen Mister Miracle as the spirit of freedom and hope. But it turns out they just need him as a translator.

So this has become a 4 way battle now. The heroes, the evil garden and their army of AMAZOs, Trigon and his demons, and the Anti-Lifers. Things are going to get even crazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I thought it was a great issue. I knew it had to be the Floronic Man but wasn’t expecting him to be tortured/forced into creating another garden. It was really cool to see Scott alive but I was kind of disappointed with the reasons that John needs him. I was hoping he’d have The Life Equation inside of him as I’ve always seen Mister Miracle as the spirit of freedom and hope. But it turns out they just need him as a translator.

So this has become a 4 way battle now. The heroes, the evil garden and their army of AMAZOs, Trigon and his demons, and the Anti-Lifers. Things are going to get even crazier.
    Given what Mister Miracle looked like I don’t think Freedom and Hope apply anymore. Again though I’m still very much surprised at the reveal he’s alive, because the way things went down in Good Day to die I can’t see Scott abandoning Barda. I mean come on they died in each other’s arms in a romantic fashion surrounded by a horde, he clearly didn’t just bail.

So either something happened that Miracles powers/abilities made him survive or...well my money is on the mother box/high father being a pretty big jerk at the last second.
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-01-2020 at 09:17 PM.
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

If the "cure" works, who can we expect to rejoin the living?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    If the "cure" works, who can we expect to rejoin the living?
    I assume Green Arrow, Dinah has his body with her so he’s the most easily available test subject.
    Words to live by.

I figure when Trigon attacks is when Superman emerges from to sun just to make the stakes astronomically high that it make you wonder whether they can pulls off a win or not.

Also who else thinks that their quest for what i can only guess is the Mobious chair is going to be far from a smooth ride?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Given what Mister Miracle looked like I don’t think Freedom and Hope apply anymore. Again though I’m still very much surprised at the reveal he’s alive, because the way things went down in Good Day to die I can’t see Scott abandoning Barda. I mean come on they died in each other’s arms in a romantic fashion surrounded by a horde, he clearly didn’t just bail.

So either something happened that Miracles powers/abilities made him survive or...well my money is on the mother box/high father being a pretty big jerk at the last second.
    Scott could escape death, not wanting to, even, but I think he would, somehow. Also, it wouldn't be the first time she dies and he doesn't I think. He's just that unlucky.

Did I saw things while I was glancing through the issue or was his hair lighter and reddish now?

(I didn't actually read the issue. I've started a new job and these days I'm still adjusting. So I can't read as much as I wanted, unfortunately)
    Last edited by Zaresh; 09-05-2020 at 04:12 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Scott could escape death, not wanting to, even, but I think he would, somehow. Also, it wouldn't be the first time she dies and he doesn't I think. He's just that unlucky.

Did I saw thing while I was grancing through the issue or was his hair lighter and reddish now?

(I didn't actually read the issue. I've started a new job and these days I'm still adjusting. So I can't read as much as I wanted, unfortunately)
    If this keeps with some past canon, Scott has the anti-life equation in him. That might have immunized him some

I wouldn’t be surprised if Barda threw him to safety at the last second. She’s incredibly protective of Scott and it would be a heroic way for her to go. Though I’m sure poor Scott would be racked with guilt.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I figure when Trigon attacks is when Superman emerges from to sun just to make the stakes astronomically high that it make you wonder whether they can pulls off a win or not.

Also who else thinks that their quest for what i can only guess is the Mobious chair is going to be far from a smooth ride?
    Supertrigon incoming would be pretty damn awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Bruce barely has any input in Damian's personality.

Damian is Damian.

(Also, Damian by himself decided to be more proactive against criminal because he thought Bruce didn't go far enough in this continuity).
    No Damian copies Bruce a lot and he is very much like his father. Also Bruce's parenting does impact Damian.

Damian when he went rogue and decided to do things his way he channelled Bruce by communicating with Jason with his fists and setting up his own illegal Jail just like Bruce.

Bruce often is proactive EG with hacking Cyborg in DCesaed and he is known for treating his tm and family like tools.

Most importantly in main continuity Bruce covered for Damian when he killed, never corrects him when he's wrong and basically spoils him resulting in Damian smart mouthing his elders and JL members. Damian's goes as far as he wants because his father lets him just like his mother did.

His protectiveness in TT was met with no punishment instead Bruce was pleading with him to make up.

Damian is Damian and is a result of his nature and his parents nurture.

Damian has a soft side which he hides because he has been trained to believe that caring and showing affection is a sign of weakness. He lets it come out when he's overwhelmed, desperate or thinks no one is looking.

He is also very affectionate often showing it through extravagant gifts and over the top gestures rather than words or hugs like spending weeks in the sewers looking for a single missing Pearl of Martha's or fighting Tusk an old enemy of Dick from his Robin days just to take his remaining Tusk [Dick had broken off one during a fight with Tusk] and gift to Dick as a gift.

I can totally believe that Damian would hug Jim in this situation