Default The Legend of Wonder Woman, Vol. 2... Possible After All?

Nerdist has an article on the new graphic novel, Wonder Woman of History, and one of the stories (Elizabeth Warren) has a familiar name attached as writer/artist: Renae De Liz.

As we all know, Renae De Liz created the phenomenal original graphic novel, The Legend of Wonder Woman. Not only was De Liz nominated for an Eisner, the story received critical acclaim for its fresh, all-ages approach and fantastically faithful depiction of Golden Age Etta Candy. De Liz was all set up for Volume 2, which would bring in classic rogues like Cheetah, Giganta, Circe, and Blue Snowman. Before she could complete the book, however, DC cancelled the series, citing creative differences.

But with De Liz returning to DC Comics for this special, could DC possibly change their minds and reinstate The Legend of Wonder Woman, Vol. 2?

Hmm...you may be grasping at straws. Though I’m happy to grasp right along with you because I’m here for Volume 2!

I won't get my hopes up but would hope so, especially since DC seems to want to push more towards digital exclusive series.

If DC can run more Injustice even more into the ground then I'll take a sequel to one of their good digital series.

I'd be more than happy to read more Legend of Wonder Woman .

An unpopular opinion, I didn't much care for the book. I thought the art, Etta and Duke of Deception were great, but Diana herself was dreadfully boring. Still, I wouldn't say no to a second volume.

My impression from the cancellation was at least partly due to personal conflicts between Renae De Liz and Ray Dillon on one hand, and unnamed parties on the other. I've also heard stuff about poor business decisions from them, regarding self-published or indie stuff. But with a rather clear slate on DC's upper levels, I think it's quite likely that the personal conflicts aren't a factor anymore, and one of the jobs of an editor is to manage business decisions and lift them off the writers.

So I wouldn't say it's impossible for DC to contract for another volume. It is definitely more likely than it was a year ago.

Also, the first volume was released as a digital first, and then collected in a trade, so it'd align neatly with DC exploring a digital-first publishing strategy.

ETA: Bleeding Cool has some background from back in the day.
    Last edited by kjn; 09-03-2020 at 01:06 AM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Nerdist has an article on the new graphic novel, Wonder Woman of History, and one of the stories (Elizabeth Warren) has a familiar name attached as writer/artist: Renae De Liz.

As we all know, Renae De Liz created the phenomenal original graphic novel, The Legend of Wonder Woman. Not only was De Liz nominated for an Eisner, the story received critical acclaim for its fresh, all-ages approach and fantastically faithful depiction of Golden Age Etta Candy. De Liz was all set up for Volume 2, which would bring in classic rogues like Cheetah, Giganta, Circe, and Blue Snowman. Before she could complete the book, however, DC cancelled the series, citing creative differences.

But with De Liz returning to DC Comics for this special, could DC possibly change their minds and reinstate The Legend of Wonder Woman, Vol. 2?
    That would be amazing news! I am actually in the process of rereading the book now, and I was Googling photos of the concept art for Vol. 2.

I love De Liz's Wonder Woman voice in the first book, and that she's actually committed to including actual Wonder rogues. If we can't get a Vol. 2, I'll even settle for De Liz being put on the main book with a top tier artist.

One other thing: the Wonder Women of History was most definitely planned and contracted several months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if DC and De Liz were, at least partially, mending fences over the last two years or so. But I'm curious if the firing of DiDio back in February had an impact here.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Hopefully you're right. This does seem like a good sign that DC and De Liz have repaired their relationship, at least somewhat.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Maybe too hopeful, but I'm right there with you. I hope this is so. Really want to see Giganta and Blue Snowman in particular get some love.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    One other thing: the Wonder Women of History was most definitely planned and contracted several months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if DC and De Liz were, at least partially, mending fences over the last two years or so. But I'm curious if the firing of DiDio back in February had an impact here.
    Yeah the DiDio thing is a really good point.
    And this is an accessible, continuity light version of Wonder Woman that has broader appeal, so it would make sense to have a project like this to market.