Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Why even bother with DC Universe??

I'm getting super frustrated with this app. All the original content is getting moved, which I can actually live with. But they're not even bothering to update their library appropriately for subscribers, they didn't offer any type of VIP or special access for FanDome, and the app on my Note is super wonky.

If it's going to transition to a comic book app only, fine. But I mean give us something special. The app has become completely worthless.

They should focus on comics and make the app available internationally already.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd like to see the app be ONLY comics, and have a wider library. The Vertigo books starring DC characters and such.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'd like to see the app be ONLY comics, and have a wider library. The Vertigo books starring DC characters and such.
    There's no reason with the price of subscription and the absence of new content that DC can't have virtually its entire library on available on the app. I understand the lag time between a new release and making it available on the app, but there are chunks of Superman, Batman, and Flash stories completely absent.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    There's no reason with the price of subscription and the absence of new content that DC can't have virtually its entire library on available on the app. I understand the lag time between a new release and making it available on the app, but there are chunks of Superman, Batman, and Flash stories completely absent.
    Have those missing issues been reprinted in print? Are their digitized files for them already existing? If not, it's a large expense and laborious process to scan, digitize and clean up those issues with no revenue stream resulting from the effort, so I doubt it will happen. If they've been digitized for print publication already, that's one thing, but there are large swaths that haven't been reprinted in collected editions or have only appeared in B&W is things like Showcase Presents volumes and color files may not be available.

I'd love to see those issues as well, but I am not holding my breath for anything not already readily available in digital files ever appearing on the app.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Part of the problem is that outside what's already on there, DC seemingly doesn't have much of the rest digitized. I don't know if they even have people working to scan and clean the backlog.

So when you're harvesting the media out of there to leave only comics, there seemingly ain't much else to put on there other than fluff articles and encyclopedia entries. Aside from the Vertigo stuff DC flat-out owns (thus starring their characters), I don't know if there really is much else to lump in there.

I have a Roku TV, so HBO Max isn't available to me. Stuff like Doom Patrol that they're also airing on HBO Max is irrelevant to me. As long as they continue to air it on DC Universe as well, it's still worth it in my mind.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Have those missing issues been reprinted in print? Are their digitized files for them already existing? If not, it's a large expense and laborious process to scan, digitize and clean up those issues with no revenue stream resulting from the effort, so I doubt it will happen. If they've been digitized for print publication already, that's one thing, but there are large swaths that haven't been reprinted in collected editions or have only appeared in B&W is things like Showcase Presents volumes and color files may not be available.

I'd love to see those issues as well, but I am not holding my breath for anything not already readily available in digital files ever appearing on the app.

-M
    There are 10s of millions of pages of scanned printed media from 19th and 20th century online. The tech for this was sorted out decades ago - you just need some low paid archive workers to grind through it while yr app subscribers foot the bill. Youre not doing remastered recoloured action comics #1 on 150gsm paper, yr just grinding through pristine archive copies of stuff from 1970s upwards for yr subscribers.

Marvel have been doing it, slowly digitising their whole archive and making the app pay for it and then trading runs cheap.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Part of the problem is that outside what's already on there, DC seemingly doesn't have much of the rest digitized. I don't know if they even have people working to scan and clean the backlog...
    With the recent layoffs, they probably don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Part of the problem is that outside what's already on there, DC seemingly doesn't have much of the rest digitized. I don't know if they even have people working to scan and clean the backlog.

So when you're harvesting the media out of there to leave only comics, there seemingly ain't much else to put on there other than fluff articles and encyclopedia entries. Aside from the Vertigo stuff DC flat-out owns (thus starring their characters), I don't know if there really is much else to lump in there.
    DC Universe is also really lacking in Wildstorm content. There's also nothing from America's Best Comics in there (but I'm not sure that line is still DC's).
    We know they'll digitize Milestone books too.
    Having Vertigo, Wildstorm, Milestone and DCU stuff on the same app would be a huge plus.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    DC Universe is also really lacking in Wildstorm content. There's also nothing from America's Best Comics in there (but I'm not sure that line is still DC's).
    We know they'll digitize Milestone books too.
    Having Vertigo, Wildstorm, Milestone and DCU stuff on the same app would be a huge plus.
    TOM STRONG and PROMETHEA are both on the app. There's a few other books from ABC, too.

I agree though- having Vertigo, Wildstorm, and Milestone on the app would be a huge win.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    There are 10s of millions of pages of scanned printed media from 19th and 20th century online. The tech for this was sorted out decades ago - you just need some low paid archive workers to grind through it while yr app subscribers foot the bill. Youre not doing remastered recoloured action comics #1 on 150gsm paper, yr just grinding through pristine archive copies of stuff from 1970s upwards for yr subscribers.

Marvel have been doing it, slowly digitising their whole archive and making the app pay for it and then trading runs cheap.
    Hell, there are already multiple websites that have archived DC comics, entire runs, which you can browse through.

But these sites aren't legal. All DC has to do is provide a better service than these pirate sites and they'll be able to stay on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    They should focus on comics and make the app available internationally already.
    Agreed. I think they are underestimating the international market for this.

I have no problem with the app, myself.
    It's a cheaper alternative to Marvel Unlimited.

The wait for new comics is six months longer than on MU, but they use better quality files.
    IIRC, Marvel doesn't use the same files they supply to Comixology like DC does.
    Also, since I prefer pre-Flashpoint DC, the wait doesn't really effect me as much as others.

They get new comics for the backlog each week, and they're the same comics that are added to Comixology.

There may still be books or runs not on there, but they are books or runs that aren't even digitized on Comixology.
    Pretty much if it's on Comixology, it's on DC Universe.

I would definitely like to see Vertigo on there.
    DC Comics withholding Vertigo from DC Universe because of a perceived loss of sales in trades makes no sense when you consider that many of them are available to be read for free on Hoopla.
    DC Universe should at least be allowed access to the non-creator owned Vertigo titles, which featured characters from the DC Universe and sometimes crossed over, such as Sandman Mystery Theatre.
    (I make the distinction that DC Comics and DC Universe are two separate entities because they are. DC Universe is at the mercy of both DC Comics and Warner Brothers/HBO. Its content is controlled by the two others as it is lower in the hierarchy.)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    For the non-Vertigo stuff, they only have access to what DC has digitized for Comixology.
    To get those runs on DC Universe, DC Comics would have to get off their butts and digitize them for Comixology.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-02-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.