Default Possible Wonder Woman Easter Egg/Reference in "Lovecraft Country"

So I've been watching Lovecraft Country on HBO, and the lead character Atticus has an aunt named Hippolyta who has a daughter named Diana. She's usually referred to as Dee, but in the latest episode, I noticed her name is actually Diana.

I looked into it to see if this was a deliberate nod or just coincidence. In the book, Hippolyta has a son named Horace, so this was a change for the show.

Might not mean anything, but I thought that was kind of cool.

So did I! And, like you, I didn't realize it until last night. I'm not sure they've ever called her anything but Dee before.

I would almost guarantee it's deliberate. The writers are very aware of genre fiction. And Dee writes and draws comics.

(Earlier during the show, my husband - who is not into comics - asked me: "Hippolyta - is that Greek, or Egyptian, or what?" I said, "It's Greek. She was an Amazon queen. In the comics, she's Wonder Woman's mother." So my explanation was in place when I laughed out loud when Hippolyta called Dee by her full name.)

Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Interesting.

I spoke to one of the writers on Twitter. She said it was an intentional nod and homage to Wonder Woman.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.