Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Pick your own Fellowship of the Ring

Pick your own Fellowship of the Ring by picking new numbers that fill in the following roles.

Ring Bearer:
    Leader:
    Wizard:
    Archer:
    Tank:
    Swordsman:

Note: Sauron's forces will scale to your picks. So don't just pick the Avengers or Justice League and expect a cake walk. Also what role would you put Sam, Merry and Pippin as?

Mighty Member

I'm strictly going to go with Lord of the Ring Characters

Ring Bearer: Sam Magee - He was able to carry it for sometime without getting corrupted
    Leader: Elrond
    Wizard: Galadrial
    Archer: Faramier
    Tank: King Theodan
    Swordsman: Aragorn, if I can't choose him than Boromier

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Well, it's been a while since I went all Malazan, soooooooo...

Ring Bearer: Anomander Rake - Malazan Book of the Fallen. The Ring's efforts won't even make him sweat, and he's already more powerful than anything it can offer him. He's very capable of soloing armies, wasting continents, and his willpower is such that he's carried his sword for a half million years, without visible sign of strain. His sword is a soul-eating creation that contains a dimension where a giant cart holding a dimensional portal is constantly towed by the souls the sword eats away from Chaos. Once ever millenium or so, Rake needs a break. He goes to a special cave he has prepared, deep in the bedrock. There is a massive stone carving with a resting place for the sword carved into it. He puts the sword into it. The earth groans with the stress. The cave-room starts to deform from the stress. The walls start sweating. A few moments later, break over, Rake picks the sword back up, slides it back into the scabbard, and strolls on out, continuing the conversation. So no, the one ring isn't going to be able to do anything to him. As for his ability to defend it, well, he's a good enough swordsman to kill everyone in middle earth if he desires, and his sword will insta-kill even immortal elder gods with a cut. He wields massive magic, probably somewhere around continent busting if he lets all the way loose. And of course he can transform into the most powerful of the elder dragons, the one time he bothers, he annihilates an army casually.

Leader: Whiskyjack - he's the best leader in a series with some really good ones. He's smart, compassionate, tough. Despite being mortal, the half-million-year old Rake takes to him relatively instantly as a being to respect and admire.

Wizard: Well, Tayschrenn is probably the most powerful pure sorcerer (not counting Rake, who surpasses the guy), but Quick Ben is not far down the list and has some serious gifts in planning and realization.

Archer: Hmmmmmmm let's go with a strange choice, which amounts to having a ringer, but the first time we meet the guy he's setting up his bow with arrows that can one-shot elder dragons. Icarium, come on down. Having him here also gives us a fallback in combat, as he could pretty trivially solo, you know, Middle Earth, if you piss him off.

Tank: Onos T'oolan seems like a serious choice here, and lets me NOT take Karsa. He's a 300,000 year old immortal, unkillable dust zombie who is also a ludicrously powerful magic user and one of the top 10 or so swordsmen in the mileu.

Swordsman: After extensive discussion seen below, one of our very favorite characters in the series, Trull Sengar, takes the place of swordsman. He's so capable it's disgusting. He obliterates everyone he ever faces except for Icarium in full beserker state, and even that fight he manages to stalemate that unstoppable living force of destruction wrapped in immortal half-Jaghut flesh. And he does all of this while being a truly good person, being humble, being trapped by circumstance but never once doing anything other then the best he can for everyone around him, even those who most definitely do not deserve any such treatment.

Moral Compass (Sam): Fiddler - the guy is the heart and soul of the Bridgeburners and Bonehunters. You really can't go wrong with him.

OK, here is where Sharp is going to kill me, because these guys are about as far from Merry and Pippin as you can be and still have legs and arms.

Idiot 1 (Merry): Kruppe

Idiot 2 (Pippin): Tehol

Tehol is likely the smartest human alive, but is weird and silly and fun and spends much of the books walking around in mismatched "clothing" sewn together badly by his best friend and secretary (who happens to be an Elder God, where that means something) which makes many people think he's an idiot. Kruppe might well be smarter, and is somehow also a ludicrously potent mage despite having no explicit feats. He's completely addicted to eating, so he fits that.
    Last edited by big_adventure; 09-02-2020 at 06:03 AM.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Haha, no sooner did I see the opening post, did I think that someone would bring up Anomander. He's pretty much tailor made for this.

Let's see... trying for some suitably deep pulls here.

Ring Bearer: Killy from BLAME - Biomechanical android with almost no emotions and no real desires beyond completing his mission. He has endured millennia in the Megastructure in pursuit of his mission and never broke. The Ring will have a real hard time getting him to stop. He will march to Mount Doom even if it takes him a thousand years. He also carries the best gun.

Leader: Takamine Kiyomaru from Zatch Bell - He has no powers of his own but he's an exceptionally intelligent man, a great strategist both considered and on the fly and is capable of deciphering puzzles and tricks with startling ease. His Answer Talker ability will more than make up for his lack of offensive ability. He's genuinely inspiring enough and smart enough to hold the team together... maybe?

Wizard: Pop from Dai no Daibouken - He's young but he's exceptionally talented for his age. He's also cultivated a cool head over his own adventures and understands that his role is to keep the rest of the party alive and functioning as much as possible. He's not as wise as Gandalf but he knows the importance of not allowing his emotions to run away with him and doing what is right which will help him fend off the Ring somewhat. In practical terms, with his flight, teleportation and reasonably diverse array of offensive spells, he'll be well suited to utility, support and the occasional large explosion.

Archer: Ishiyumi Tessen from Tenjou Tenge - Exceptional archer, capable of using bows, darts and even water or blood as extremely destructive ranged projectiles, he fits the bill. He's a bit savage and amoral but also strangely quite loyal. Definitely one to watch in terms of wanting to take the Ring.

Tank: Mash Vandead from Mashle - A good and simple strong boy who likes a cream puff and hits absurdly hard. He's pretty low on the ambition level so he should be somewhat difficult for the Ring to mess with.

Swordsman: Ikaruga from Fairy Tail - Anyone who knows me knows I won't miss a chance to bring up Ikaruga. Magic armour shredding, dimensional barrier cutting, master swordsman. She is also pretty evil so she's big time on the watchlist but she's one of my favourites so I couldn't not bring her in.

And for the rest...

Sam: Kanoe Fuyu from Biomega - The role of Sam is to be a companion and helper to the Ring-Bearer. Fuyu is an AI housed within a super-advanced motorcycle. Killy gets a sweet ride and Cibo can piggy-back off his internal systems. She's likewise largely without desires beyond protecting her companion, in this case Killy. She's a good fit and can provide moral support and can carry him if required.

Pippin and Merry: Haruki Emishi and Amon Natsuki from Getbackers - Comic relief but also with enough utility to get in and out of scrapes and mishaps. The last prince of the Rouran Kingdom and the God of Death from the Maryuudo Clan. Despite their ostentatious titles, they are mostly happy with doing bits, are furiously loyal to one another, will love having Killy and Mashle be the straight men to their offbeat comedy and will generally lift the mood. Kiyomaru will find them frustrating but their antics will be very familiar to him.

I don't know if this team will manage it but it will very amusing to watch them try.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 09-02-2020 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Haha, no sooner did I see the opening post, did I think that someone would bring up Anomander. He's pretty much tailor made for this.
    And it was at least 99.5% likely to be Sharp or me. Given my inherent timezone edge, I will take the solid majority, at least 8/10 in that Rumble.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    Pick your own Fellowship of the Ring by picking new numbers that fill in the following roles.

Ring Bearer:
    Leader:
    Wizard:
    Archer:
    Tank:
    Swordsman:

Note: Sauron's forces will scale to your picks. So don't just pick the Avengers or Justice League and expect a cake walk. Also what role would you put Sam, Merry and Pippin as?
    I feel like this is just a reworking of the create your D&D team - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...hlight=paladin
    Which was then repeated as your DnD cast -
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...highlight=mage

I thought the Star Wars U tried to pull it off with the Rogue One team-
    Of course "the Ring" being the DS plans....

Leader: Jyn Erso

Archer: Cassian Andor

Tank:- K2S0

Wizard: - Chirrut Îmwe

Swordsman: Baze Malbus

Ring Bearer:- Bodhi Rook
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-02-2020 at 05:06 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I was going to go Malazan, which honestly is like swatting flies with a nuke, but since big beat me to it I'll swat flies with a Tolkien Nuke instead (stolen the base idea from The no face guy).

Ring Bearer: Finrod of Nargothrond, voted most likely to throw himself willingly into Mt. Doom in order to deal with the Ring, pretty much as incorruptible as First Age Eldar get, etc, etc.

Leader: Beren. It's totally unnecessary for him to be the 'leader', as we will see later, but we're talking about a guy who makes Aragorn look like a putz when it comes to being a fighter OR a woodsman, who is also 100% familiar with Sauron's methodology and pretty darned good at stymieing him. Guerilla warrior to the next level. Also, Finrod is here so Beren pretty much has to be.

Wizard: Lúthien, because Beren's here and any story with him in it has to have her being more awesome than he is (it's hard, but she manages quite handily). Also pretty helpful dealing with the Ring's influence, given her own level of oomph. Also, this group needs a level head; Lúthien provides it, and there's the additional bonus that with her around, Finrod and Beren are less likely to continually attempt to out-sacrifice each other.

Archer: Beleg Strongbow. Legolas goes home in a huff, vowing to train incessantly for a few hundred years to have a chance of catching up.

Tank: Húrin. Edain warrior, the greatest ever. Known for holding the line solo against an army while murderstomping about seventy elite, armoured trolls with a melting sword. We don't even think about how many orcs he killed because crap, they're just unimportant in that fight.

Swordsman: I considered Túrin because Gurthang, cripes, but no. I'm going Fingolfin. "Everyone get behind me." *Berserk slaughterfest begins as he murders his way to Mt. Doom, everyone else twiddling their thumbs in his wake*

Sam: Edrahil, if I recall rightly. Basically Finrod's steward. Totally loyal.

Merry and Pippen: So many possibilities! Sons of Fëanor, the Lunatic Himself...but I'll go with Mablung of the Heavy Hand (for Merry, and because Beleg is here) and Orodreth who, despite being a bit of a dope sometimes, had his heart in the right place and really deserves a win.

OK, here is where Sharp is going to kill me, because these guys are about as far from Merry and Pippin as you can be and still have legs and arms.

Idiot 1 (Merry): Kruppe

Idiot 2 (Pippin): Tehol
    Given the power level of your group, I don't have a problem with your choices there. ^_^ The conversations are going to be utterly incomprehensible, though.

I might have gone with Kruppe and Bugg for Pippen and Merry, respectively, and have Tehol be the moral compass.

Yes, Tehol, because that's what he is. Let that sink in. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 09-02-2020 at 05:10 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Ringbearer: Rake
    Leader: Rake
    Wizard: Rake
    Archer: Probably Rake, because why not?
    Tank: Rake
    Swordsman: Rake

Sam: Rake
    Merry and Pippen: Rake and anyone he bumps into, really; the guy can be quite amusing as well.

Also, I like your choices Nik; it looks insane. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 09-02-2020 at 05:15 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

big, no Trull? I am disappoint.

Swordsman: Trull Sengar. Because spears are better.

[Gil-Galad] *two thumbs up*
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

Given the power level of your group, I don't have a problem with your choices there. ^_^ The conversations are going to be utterly incomprehensible, though.

I might have gone with Kruppe and Bugg for Pippen and Merry, respectively, and have Tehol be the moral compass.

Yes, Tehol, because that's what he is. Let that sink in. ^_^
    Honestly, that was my first call, because Tehol IS the moral compass of his empire. Buuuuut, despite my use of Icarium as a mere archer, using Bugg (who is the aforementioned elder god) as comic relief seemed like cheating, and using Bugg without Tehol next to him seemed like crimes against humanity.

And I say that while fully accepting that the only two guys on my list who don't trivially solo the original Fellowship are Whiskyjack and Fid, and even then, Jack would against everyone except perhaps Gandalf (even there, Jack only losing to Kalor beause of his pre-broken leg is a hell of a feat by itself) while Fid would solo with prep (do NOT let Fid prep against you, I don't care who or what you are) or with enough cover to get his lobber and a cusser out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    big, no Trull? I am disappoint.

Swordsman: Trull Sengar. Because spears are better.

[Gil-Galad] *two thumbs up*
    It was my hardest leave. I just couldn't slot him over Dassem, as much as I love Trull. I hesitated slotting him in as the archer (spears are better, too - just look what he did in his very first appearance), but chucked in Icarium, who actually uses a bow. I also hesitated with Toc the Younger as bowman, as well as Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Honestly, that was my first call, because Tehol IS the moral compass of his empire. Buuuuut, despite my use of Icarium as a mere archer, using Bugg (who is the aforementioned elder god) as comic relief seemed like cheating, and using Bugg without Tehol next to him seemed like crimes against humanity.
    I totally get that. Another reason to stick Tehol in the group as (bizarre) moral compass. ^_^

And I say that while fully accepting that the only two guys on my list who don't trivially solo the original Fellowship are Whiskyjack and Fid, and even then, Jack would against everyone except perhaps Gandalf (even there, Jack only losing to Kalor beause of his pre-broken leg is a hell of a feat by itself) while Fid would solo with prep (do NOT let Fid prep against you, I don't care who or what you are) or with enough cover to get his lobber and a cusser out.
    Agreed that Whiskeyjack and Fiddler would totally solo the Fellowship; I feel in both cases it would be done with minimal effort (not zero, but minimal). There's the possible exception of Fiddler not taking out Gandalf with a cusser or the like (though honestly, that **** kills Ascendants in Malazan, so...Gandalf the Grey, at least, is toast), but I'm totally okay with Whiskeyjack killing Gandalf in a sword-fight before Gandalf the Grey could pull out the serious stuff.

But everyone else is just exploded bits (Fiddler) or speedbumps for a guy who can fight Kallor and be WINNING before an old injury takes him out of the running.

High-level fighters in the Malazan verse make Aragorn and Boromir's best fighting feats look like jokes. Skill = superhuman in Malazan, just like in comics (especially if Erikson is doing the writing; Esselmont's stuff is a touch more 'realistic' that way).

Also, my complaint about Lack of Trull still stands. -_-
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    It was my hardest leave. I just couldn't slot him over Dassem, as much as I love Trull. I hesitated slotting him in as the archer (spears are better, too - just look what he did in his very first appearance), but chucked in Icarium, who actually uses a bow. I also hesitated with Toc the Younger as bowman, as well as Tool.
    He doesn't need to be The Bestest (and Daseem never fought Icarium in the series, nor did he take on someone who was pretty much Rake -1 and kick his ass edit: while badly wounded). ^_^ Lack of Trull is a crime against humanity (and Tiste Edur, let's not be speciest), man.

What really makes me giggle about Trull is that for all that Daseem, Rake, and other swordsmen get touted in the series, Trull never once has any serious problems kicking everyone he faces like a hackysack until he goes up against....

1. Berserk Icarium (whom he stalemates for a time, which is...yeesh);
    2. Silchas Ruin (whom he still ends up kicking around like a hacky-sack AFTER getting badly injured).

I would have loved to see him go up against Mok, or Daseem, or one of the others.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 09-02-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    Why are we here?

Toc and Tool would have been cool choices, well thought out!
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I feel like this is just a reworking of the create your D&D team - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...hlight=paladin
    Which was then repeated as your DnD cast -
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...highlight=mage
    ^^^i contributed to both of those.
    May as well make it 3 for 3.
    A low level criminal cabal version.

Last edited by Riv86672; 09-02-2020 at 05:47 AM.