Default All-New Ghost Rider 6 Preview: New Artist

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=23088

I LOVE the looks of this. Damion Scott was a brilliant call and I think he will nicely fill the massive void left by Tradd Moore's departure.

I thought the first arc of this series ended really well and I hope Smith can maintain a solid story. Not looking for Alan Moore level stuff here, but nice plot development, character & mythology development, lots of action, etc.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

BANNED

I am not a fan of Damion Scott's art, so this issue was tough to get through. His style is similar to Tradd Moore's, but it doesn't look as sharp or finessed. I hated Scott's art on Robin ten years ago, but at least it seems to be a better fit on this book. Too bad Felipe Smith isn't doing the interiors in addition to writing. Luckily, I still love Robbie, Eli and all the other characters, as well as the tone, atmosphere and location. The showdown with Johnny Blaze should be interesting.

I thought the style was seamlessly introduced IMO... I mean, yeah there are differences, but the first arc was about the introduction of Robbie to the frantic situation, so the more kinetic, hyper style suited it IMO.

BANNED

Did anyone else find the inks or lines a little heavy? Everything looked subtly darker.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by catbatfan View Post
    Did anyone else find the inks or lines a little heavy? Everything looked subtly darker.
    The inking was definitely heavier, and I'm not too much a fan of it especially after Moore's crisp linework. I actually think it detracted at points. I also happen to think that Moore is a stronger storyteller than Scott.

That said, Scott was serviceable for the subject at hand. With a different inker the transition would have been even stronger but I'll take what I can get.

Really enjoyed the issue by the way. The interactions between Robbie and Gabe were definitely the highlights, along with Zabo still being on the loose and Johnny getting wind of a new Rider.

BANNED

I'm not sure I liked Zabo and the pills sticking around. Reminds me of when Young Avengers kept dragging out the Mother storyline when it should have ended after the fifth issue.

Holy crap! Damion Scott! Just yesterday I was looking at my old Batgirl trades and wondering where he had been for the last decade.

I LOVED the art here. Scott's art is so energetic and cartoony, and the really heavy blacks helped give the book a darker, gritty edge that is certainly appropriate for the property. I might even consider this an upgrade from Tradd Moore. I'm glad to see that Marvel gets Ghost Rider is an art-driven property, and you need really stylish artists for the book to work.

I agree with catbatfan that I'm kinda over Zabo & his pills at this point, but I like some of the other teasers introduced here. Super excited to see Johnny Blaze and I like how the kids in the community are all dressing up like Ghost Rider, and he's really connecting with his neighborhood.

Very good issue. I hope Scott sticks around permanently as I really can't see them getting a better fit.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

BANNED

Sorry, just not feeling the Damion Scott love. I still haven't forgotten how goofy he made Stephanie Brown look when she became Robin ten years ago. I liked Tradd's cartoony style, and while Scott has a cartoony style as well, it just doesn't work for me.