Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Will Riri Williams ever resolve her situation with her biological father?
    I forgot Riri even existed. I bailed on Slotts Iron Man run. Did she show up in that?
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-06-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

She did. Nothing major though, and nothing at all until Zub (who was writing Champions at the time) took on co-writer duties.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

The Mystic Arcana series of one-shots ended with the revelation that the four cornerstones of magic were out of balance and needed to be restored which was supposed to lead into basically a magical version of Annihilation that never materialized. It also ended with Storm's ancestor Ashake stuck in the present and nothing ever came of that either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I remember reading that Warren Ellis was working with Marvel editors to develop a Horror Line back in the 90's but Marvel was bought by Toybiz and it was cancelled cuz they didn't want anything they couldn't spin off into toys.
    The Satana Series even got an release Date with cover and all before suddenly canceled. Looked great and would have loved to read it.

Astonishing Member

Spencer's Cloak/Dagger pitch that was launched from the Spider-Island mini of those two. Probably one of my favorite comics written by him.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I forgot about another strange case of a series that even got solicitations on the Diamond Previews site, had 4 covers done by Becky Cloonan and I assume at least a couple of issues plotted / scripted.

This is about a Doctor Doom series that would be about teen-aged Victor von Doom and his misadventures in college. Nick Spencer was the writer and Becky Cloonan the artist. She had done 3 covers for the series and you can still view the comic listed among the cancellations in December of 2011 on Diamond Distributor's site. The shipping list archives are no longer posted for 2011 but I recall seeing the first issue listed as a coming attraction that was due to ship in November.

This article mentions layoffs at Marvel at that time may have been a factor for the sudden cancellation of what would have been a 5 issue mini series.

The timing of the announcement was very surprising, the first issue was scheduled to go on sale November 30th and had been solicited for a few months. The current issue of Marvel Previews (November) lists a solicitation for the third issue of a series that no longer will be published.

Was the series cancelled due to the cost cutting measures recently imposed by Isaac Perlmutter? Did Victor Von Doom not meet Marvel’s internal minimum sales projections? Was the current editorial shakeup to blame? Maybe we’ll never know what has caused the book to be pulled, but the only thing that’s certain is that we won’t be seeing this series published anytime soon – if ever. That’s a shame.
    The Bleeding Cool site had apparently discovered other reasons may have been at play but had to remove the alleged reasons given to him by sources he does not name.

UPDATE: There are two very adamant but contradictory sides to why this happened currently being expressed to me. All from people I trust. All from people who are very sure of their version – albeit it very guarded in what they'll let me pass on.

As it stands, I'm no longer happy with the earlier version of this pieced that ran on Bleeding Cool today. It was well sourced from a number of people, had been run past involved people, but as a result of publication, a whole host of stuff dropped in my inbox. I'd like to apologise to anyone affected.
    So there was some mystery as to why the series was cancelled. But there were other planned series that were also cancelled around the same time. It may have all just been a cost cutting move by Ike Perlmutter and it's never been mentioned since.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I forgot about another strange case of a series that even got solicitations on the Diamond Previews site, had 4 covers done by Becky Cloonan and I assume at least a couple of issues plotted / scripted.

This is about a Doctor Doom series that would be about teen-aged Victor von Doom and his misadventures in college. Nick Spencer was the writer and Becky Cloonan the artist. She had done 3 covers for the series and you can still view the comic listed among the cancellations in December of 2011 on Diamond Distributor's site. The shipping list archives are no longer posted for 2011 but I recall seeing the first issue listed as a coming attraction that was due to ship in November.

This article mentions layoffs at Marvel at that time may have been a factor for the sudden cancellation of what would have been a 5 issue mini series.

The Bleeding Cool site had apparently discovered other reasons may have been at play but had to remove the alleged reasons given to him by sources he does not name.

So there was some mystery as to why the series was cancelled. But there were other planned series that were also cancelled around the same time. It may have all just been a cost cutting move by Ike Perlmutter and it's never been mentioned since.
    Wow, I never even knew about this. An interesting take, something I'm not surprised Spencer came up with.

Christopher Priest's "The Crew" series was canceled "before" the first arc began. It was allowed to publish the first arc but that's it. It was co-promoted with a mostly manga/anime' themed "Tsunami" line of comics, but the series had absolutely nothing to do with that, so the retailers dramatically under-ordered, and....

Mighty Member

It isn't huge, but as someone absolutely loves Slott's Surfer run, I'm kind of disappointed that Silver Surfers red and black energy projection never took off. It would have been such a meaningful little change.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wow, I never even knew about this. An interesting take, something I'm not surprised Spencer came up with.
    I remember at the time that Becky Cloonan was really enthusiastic about doing the series at the time. I found another Bleeding Cool article, the one I was looking for in the first place that finally gives an explanation....sort of. I recall reading it at the time and something didn't seem right about the reasons given. I also remember that the part that was taken down on the Bleeding Cool article intimated that Becky Cloonan was have some unexplained issues (health? personal? it was never said) getting the work done. That it was unconfirmed is the reason they took it down. But Tom B.'s statement in the above linked article pretty much confirms that there was an issue with deadlines.

Tom Brevoort said the book had issues reaching deadline. From his Formspring:

"There were problems with getting the work completed on time, and given that it was a pedigree project that likely wasn't going to do huge numbers, I didn't want to have to sausage it up among multiple creators in order to make the ship dates. Better, in my judgment, not to do it in the first place."
    So it does appear that someone was having a problem getting the work done. Tom B. doesn't mention any names but if memory serves, the original article that was later amended did mention her as having some issues but didn't say what they were. Still, it makes me wonder why they simply didn't delay things until these problems were resolved.