Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default John Boyega Interview in GQ

https://twitter.com/i/events/1301074597719216128

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/cultur...interview-2020

John Boyega: 'I’m the only cast member whose experience of Star Wars was based on their race'

‘What I say to Disney is do not market a black character as important and then push them aside’

“I’m the only cast member who had their own unique experience of that franchise based on their race,” he says, holding my gaze. “Let’s just leave it like that. It makes you angry with a process like that. It makes you much more militant; it changes you. Because you realise, ‘I got given this opportunity but I’m in an industry that wasn’t even ready for me.’ Nobody else in the cast had people saying they were going to boycott the movie because [they were in it]. Nobody else had the uproar and death threats sent to their Instagram DMs and social media, saying, ‘Black this and black that and you shouldn’t be a Stormtrooper.’ Nobody else had that experience. But yet people are surprised that I’m this way. That’s my frustration.”

He has made peace with a lot of this now (following that intense 2017 period he attended therapy

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Good for him. I liked Rey and Ben’s journey but I was annoyed as heck that Finn got pushed aside so much for them, Poe too. And now we’ll never get the Finn and Poe Disney+ show we deserved.

Ultimate Member

Seriously, f..k Disney/Lucasfilm for the way they handled Boyega and Finn's character.

They used Finn in the marketing of the Force Awakens only to toss him aside which was total bullsh!t. Looking back at it, it's obvious that Lucasfilm didn't have any concrete plans for any character in the new trilogy except Rey and Kylo. If that was the case, they really shouldn't have used Finn as a mis-direct. Honestly, I thought both Finn and Rey would become Jedis in the new trilogy...the story of an ex-Stormtrooper learning the force and becoming a Jedi was so compelling, I can't imagine how disappointed he feels now.

I can still remember how excited Boyega was when he was cast in Star Wars but all we hear from him now is bitterness.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-02-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Seriously, f..k Disney/Lucasfilm for the way they handled Boyega and Finn's character.

They used Finn in the marketing of the Force Awakens only to toss him aside which was total bullsh!t. Looking back at it, it's obvious that Lucasfilm didn't have any concrete plans for any character in the new trilogy except Rey and Kylo. If that was the case, they really shouldn't have used Finn as a mis-direct. Honestly, I thought both Finn and Rey would become Jedis in the new trilogy...the story of an ex-Stormtrooper learning the force and becoming a Jedi was so compelling, I can't imagine how disappointed he feels now.

I can still remember how excited Boyega was when he was cast in Star Wars but all we here from him now is bitterness.
    That’s one of the worst things about it... they took two wide eyed and excited fans with John and Marie and made them jaded and cynical about it. Granted the toxic ‘fans’ did not help but Disney and Lucasfilm should have treated them better.

I concur; Finn honestly should have been the only (new) Jedi in the new series in my opinion. Daisy Ridley did well as Rey, but her character really, really did not have many struggles or obstacles to overcome. Me and my friend (we're both Black) were very excited to see a Black Jedi on screen be given proper treatment after Mace Windu getting taken out: one with an actually exceptional story arc that provided so much rich story to use. But instead, we get, yet again, the relative of a powerful evil Force user who discovers her true parentage and becomes a hero...again.

Yeah, I'm with Boyega: screw this series, haha

EDIT: And another thing: I've seen Grace Randolph talk about this; why didn't they have an interim movie with the original three cast members? And don't say The Force Awakens, because Luke had 2 minutes of screentime at the end. I mean one last passing of the torch so to speak with the original three catching up with them after Return of the Jedi. That would have been so cool!

This series is so toxic, Jesus Christ.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Good for him. I liked Rey and Ben’s journey but I was annoyed as heck that Finn got pushed aside so much for them, Poe too. And now we’ll never get the Finn and Poe Disney+ show we deserved.
    Ah, but that’s the thing. You would have gotten different (truncated) journey’s for Rey and Ben, if the others weren’t pushed aside.

So what should have been done?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Ah, but that’s the thing. You would have gotten different (truncated) journey’s for Rey and Ben, if the others weren’t pushed aside.

There were way to many characters added just in the last movie alone.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ben's story easily could have been done, but Rey's didn't really need to be developed. She could've been the cool mystery girl that was capable (not perfect, but capable) and didn't have a discernible origin story. Her journey would have been different, probably learning more about trusting others and leaning into people's help. And Finn could have kept going as someone who legitimately learned to forgive his actions as a Stormtroper but develop his powers as a Jedi. That's a powerful arc that was left so far under the rug. And I agree with Pinsir: too many characters (without a clear focal point) make for a disjointed and unfocused storyline.

Create a brand new trilogy taking place further in the future instead of trying to cash in on nostalgia dollars by linking the new trilogy to the previous six movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir
    This series is so toxic, Jesus Christ.
    Things are bad at the mouse house right now.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Empire managed to tell Luke’s journey to Jedihood AND Han and Leia’s tragic romance at the same time so...

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Finn was the best of the 3 new leads, and the way he got shafted for all the Kylo/Rey garbage is one of the biggest reason the new trilogy was such a mess.

Thumbs up

Finn was done dirty there is no doubt about that. They literally did nothing of interest with him since the first movie. His appearance in Rise of Skywalker was so forgettable and meaningless he might as well not even have been there. Finn's wasted potential is yet another big reason why I detest the Sequel Trilogy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

And the thing that ticks me off is that Duel of the Fates by Collin definitely looked like it was going to actually take his background and make him a true leader of his own kind! That’s awesome! Instead that got reduced to bland horse riding types and a character I was half expecting to be his sister because screw it everyone in Star Wars is related.

Yeah, I remember people leaping all over John Boyega like a bunch of blood-crazed sharks back when TFA's first trailer dropped. It was especially funny when people tried to mask their problems with a black trooper/protagonist with (incorrect) lore justifications. The worst part about the bait-and-switch with Finn and pushing him off to the side like they did is that it feels like Disney gave those people what they wanted.

But yeah, his story had so much more potential than the lazy Luke/Vader 2.0 nonsense we ended up with.