Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Bad idea to have a badguy called DOX when your series is also under the DoX umbrella. And I get it, its like Fox! And the dox people! But its still kind of dumb.

Heroic doxxing people is the counter to evil doxxing people? Its kind of weird. And 'they're getting mutants hurt/killed' doesn't carry any weight anymore now that they just pop them back up at Krakoa. Its not a good enough justification for violence anymore.
    That is like saying that torture is fine if you don't kill anyone later.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I'd get the complaints about Magik here if this was Empyre: X-Men. But this is New Mutants, the book she was the main character of during the Claremont run, the Wells run, and the Rosenberg run. And she has not had that much focus in this series. The first arc was more about Roberto and Sam, she wasn't in Nova Roma, and during the Russia arc she was left behind and was absent for the entire multi-issue fight until the very end. Glob also hasn't really been getting focus until now. He's just been sort of there. He's not a New Mutant, so there's that.

The problem has not been too much focus on Magik or Glob in New Mutants. The problem is the way the other characters have been handled when the focus has been on them. Had they simply been written smarter it wouldn't have stood out that Magik had to step in at the last second to save them, but treating a a character as a deus ex machina at the very end is not the same as giving them too much focus. It usually means giving them less focus and that's what happened.
    I get your point but when Chris Claremont and Zeb Wells were writing the series, each New Mutant had the opportunity to shine, each has their character development and also get to display their powers.

All Brisson is doing is to make Magik shine and make the other New Mutants incompetent amateurs instead of the experienced X-Men that they should be. Brisson seem to forget that they have been around for decades and not actually 'new' mutants.

If I remember correctly, Magik appeared in every issue but not the others. Correct me if my memory is wrong.
    Last edited by ericng; 09-02-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Magik's problem is that she's getting so powerful that she's making the other characters a bit irrelevant in quite a few series, not just this one. And not just in Dawn of X, it's a problem you can track down quite a bit earlier.

They don't even go out of their way to give her a great characterization or character arc, it's just "Yeah, Magik is badass right? Look how badass she is."

A bit like Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Magik's problem is that she's getting so powerful that she's making the other characters a bit irrelevant in quite a few series, not just this one. And not just in Dawn of X, it's a problem you can track down quite a bit earlier.

They don't even go out of their way to give her a great characterization or character arc, it's just "Yeah, Magik is badass right? Look how badass she is."

A bit like Storm.
    power has nothing to do with it, the writer is just not that interested in writing about the others..... and Magik has no problems, fans of others characters may have a problem with her
    Last edited by Daedra; 09-02-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Way too much Glob but that goes without saying

Why didnt they include Anole in the cast roster?. They might as well have since he was in the same only scene that Trinary was in

I really wish Dani got to use her powers. She doesnt ever get to do anything

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    I get your point but when Chris Claremont and Zeb Wells were writing the series, each New Mutant had the opportunity to shine, each has their character development and also get to display their powers.

All Brisson is doing is to make Magik shine and make the other New Mutants incompetent amateurs instead of the experienced X-Men that they should be. Brisson seem to forget that they have been around for decades and not actually 'new' mutants.

If I remember correctly, Magik appeared in every issue but not the others. Correct me if my memory is wrong.
    None of the space team were in the issues with Peak's parents, issues 3, 4,and 6. Magik was also not in issue 8 whatsoever, the Nova Roma issue. That's 4 issues out of 12 where she doesn't have a single panel.

Also, Magik's always been this powerful. She was introduced as someone with the power to end all life on earth and her origin involved her defeating a foe who was powerful enough to take on the entire X-Men team at once and then becoming ruler of an entire dimension with armies of demons to call on, some of which are themselves more powerful than the likes of Colossus or the entire rest of the New Mutants. In the issue where she joins the team a demon whose so powerful Sam knocks himself out trying to ram into him and Roberto and Amara can't make flinch agrees to become her lapdog. In the Zeb Wells run she defeated Legion all by herself and everyone else was just along for the ride when she executed her scheme against the Elder Gods. It's the Superman/Thor problem. Brisson is failing at writing the other characters properly, but not because he's using Magik too much.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 09-02-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Ultimate Member

Oh yay, Amara lost her entire supporting cast.

Great.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They could have had use her power to project the images of the DOX victims instead of that weird power point presentation they did.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It's hard to hate New Mutants. It's just "ok". There is not much to love or hate. It's your "Vanilla mutant comic".
    Exactatiously. I want to really like because I love these characters but Brisson's is not giving me a good enough reason to keep it on my pull-list when XoS ends.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Way too much Glob but that goes without saying

Why didnt they include Anole in the cast roster?. They might as well have since he was in the same only scene that Trinary was in

I love the idea of New Mutants becoming a rotating next generations mix/mash of the New Mutants/Gen X/New X-Men kids but Glob and the French twins being featured are low selling points. Anole, Rockslide, Pixie, Hellion, Dust, etc should be there. So many fan favorite characters are wasted.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Fantastic Member

I liked this issue. And this series in general is fun and interesting to me. I think its main problem is its name. If it was named something like "X-Men - Legacy" to imply that it is about X-Men's legacy - i.e. all the new generations, it would be better received. I treat it as such, so I'm not disappointed that I don't see specifically members of New Mutants team in every issue. "New Mutants" is basically just the first arc by Hickman, and it not really connected to the issues after it. So it should have been a mini-series, and Brisson should have started a new book with different name.

I think this issue revealed some interesting info, like that there are mutants who preferred to continue living their old lives outside of Krakoa. And it also raised an interesting ethical question. Some of the mutants mentioned by Dani, weren't killed, but were beaten into coma and may never wake up. So the question is - should they be now mercy killed so they could be resurrected on Krakoa? And how far in line of resurrections they would be? Also, I disagree that just because mutants now can be resurrected their death doesn't matter. One of the mentioned mutants was beaten in fronts of his kids. Even if his memories about death would be removed in resurrection process, kids' memories wouldn't go away. So, should some telepath remove or alter them? And resurrections doesn't happen instantly, as was shown in X-Factor there is already a large queue and a lot of people come asking the Five to resurrect their loved ones ahead of time. So, if some ordinary mutant (who isn't a part of main cast of some book or member of Quiet Council, etc.) dies, his resurrection can happen months or maybe even years later. Yes, they will return someday, but in meanwhile their families would live on with either a trauma of their death, or some false memories explaining their disappearance. To me, all these aspects make deaths still important, they still matter, because there are still consequences.

Also, I liked Glob's story. It explained his past behavior in Morrison's run and why he changed so much. I like such moments, because they allow readers to understand character better. I still not really care about Glob, but at least he now has some history, and it can connect to some other reader.

I also liked story about DOX and how mutants forced them to take responsibility for content they release. In real life some media or individuals prefer to make sensational news and quickly release it all around the world before they know all facts, context or even if it is true or fake. They just make sensations to get likes, and attention or to propagate their point of view, and then their "news" cause some bad consequences, they act the same way as DOX - we just reported it, the consequences are not out responsibility. But it IS their responsibility.

Pages long Glob Herman monologue. Must remember to unsubscribe this.

Fantastic Member

Brisson has to go. There's too many good characters that could be used in this book and they are being squandered. Nothing is happening. Nobody is really getting used and the writing is just bad.

Extraordinary Member

The problem with the previous arc was the threat simply didn't meet the seriousness or time which was devoted to it. The sheer number of people involved in trying to deal with one newly awakened mutant was way overkill. It was a lot like Cyclops' 100 plans to stop Juggernaut in Fear itself, except Juggernaut is literally unstoppable and had his powers seriously amped up by a literal god. This was an every-growing team of mutants throwing everything at the wall to deal with a child whose powers aren't even all that unique.

This issue succeeded where those issues failed in part because it never tried to pretend there was a threat to the protagonists. There was a problem and they went to solve it directly but with their heads more than their fists, and they did it quickly.

Extraordinary Member

I feel bad for Amara.

Do we know who the villainess is yet?