Thread: Marvel Sales

Mighty Member

Default Marvel Sales

I aways go to the Beat for Month to Month sales chart,that was like 2 or 3 years ago,but it stopped.Is there a place to get Month to Month sales for Comics thats accurate

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

You can try Comichron for sales charts too. But keep in mind things are still a bit messed up especially now with DC dropping Diamond as their distributor.

Comichron have actually just uploaded charts for April to July a few days ago.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yeah, I saw that. One wonders where DC would be if there were no Batman family of books.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You can try Comichron for sales charts too. But keep in mind things are still a bit messed up especially now with DC dropping Diamond as their distributor.
    Also worth keeping in mind that these are print sales and they track what the comic shops are buying, not what they are selling. But they're pretty much the best we have to go off of.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I saw that. One wonders where DC would be if there were no Batman family of books.
    Success, particularly reliable sales, should be strived for. The nice thing about sales threads is that we should all be looking at the sales numbers. How many Marvel books in double digits of issues are doing well? If those books are doing the same as longer running DC books, how is Marvel getting by? I would suggest events and #1s and other sales tactics, but I am open to counter arguments, and which do you think is better? Having a flagship to support the line or constantly turning things over?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Success, particularly reliable sales, should be strived for. The nice thing about sales threads is that we should all be looking at the sales numbers. How many Marvel books in double digits of issues are doing well? If those books are doing the same as longer running DC books, how is Marvel getting by? I would suggest events and #1s and other sales tactics, but I am open to counter arguments, and which do you think is better? Having a flagship to support the line or constantly turning things over?
    Aren't BOTH companies guilty of constant turning things over? Variant covers, events and stunts???

Take Batman out of the picture like Iron Maiden said-who carries DC?

At Marvel various folks from Thor, Carol, Ms Marvel, Panther, Avengers, Jane Foster, X-Men, Peter, Hulk, GOTG, Venom and others have carried this company.

Taking away Peter Parker doesn't hurt marvel as much as it would DC.

Look at trade sales-like on Amazon-you could take X-men out and Peter, Miles, Jane, Ms Marvel, GOTG, Brawn, some variation of Avengers, Carol Danvers, Panther, Hulk, Thanos, Dr Strange, Cap America and so on are there.

Take Batman out. Who is there? Especially under the Rebirth banner?

Batman is CARRYING that company. That is NOT a good thing because what does that say for everyone else?

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Aren't BOTH companies guilty of constant turning things over? Variant covers, events and stunts???

At Marvel various folks from Thor, Carol, Ms Marvel, Panther, Avengers, Jane Foster, X-Men, Peter, Hulk, GOTG, Venom and others have carried this company.

Look at trade sales-like on Amazon-you could take X-men out and Peter, Miles, Jane, Ms Marvel, GOTG, Brawn, some variation of Avengers, Carol Danvers, Panther, Hulk, Thanos, Dr Strange, Cap America and so on are there.

Batman is CARRYING that company. That is NOT a good thing because what does that say for everyone else?
    While Superman floppies don't sell as well Batman, the Superman trades and graphic novels still sell extremely well and the trade/graphic novel market is basically the industry's most profitable market. And his merchandise are also big sellers.

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...novels-q2-2020
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Extraordinary Member

I feel like we are just talking about two different things, I cannot begin to see how you see most of those listed as ever having carried Marvel to any degree.

I feel like we are just talking about two different things, I cannot begin to see how you see most of those listed as ever having carried Marvel to any degree.
    But what I feel he also points out is the diversity of the Marvel line as compared to DC's Batman. Most of those titles if you notice have also lead to big box office even if the print version is not a huge seller. Immortal Hulk has been pretty steady on the charts and gets good reviews. Who knows? they may adapt that to the screen at some point. Guardians of the Galaxy IMO was surpisingly successful as a film - twice. Even Venom got less than stellar reviews but still scooped up 860 million. It was a Columbia production but done in association with Marvel so they got a piece of that too. Yeah, I know that the comics don't directly profit from that but they provide Disney/Marvel with a lot of valuable IP for use in films.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Extremely guilty to the point where that gimmick was once novel and could drive some new sales is now stale.
    In my LCS it is joked about as being predictable and pointless to the end that it makes long term character development nearly moot. Thereby reducing interest.
    I'd say it is anecdotal but I suspect it is not.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Extremely guilty to the point where that gimmick was once novel and could drive some new sales is now stale.
    In my LCS it is joked about as being predictable and pointless to the end that it makes long term character development nearly moot. Thereby reducing interest.
    I'd say it is anecdotal but I suspect it is not.
    There is some merit to what you say but I do know there is one customer at the LCS I go to who used to buy those pricey variants. Let's say it was one that the shop would have to order 25 regular issues in order to get the variant. He would pay for those 25 issues (it's a small LCS) in order to get that variant. I'm not sure but I think Marvel stopped doing that and you can simply order the variant. I don't know if anyone is taken in by all these numerous #1 issues but apparently there are since most #1's will sell very well, then the comic will make a steep drop as it goes along.

Extraordinary Member

There is some merit to what you say but I do know there is one customer at the LCS I go to who used to buy those pricey variants. Let's say it was one that the shop would have to order 25 regular issues in order to get the variant. He would pay for those 25 issues (it's a small LCS) in order to get that variant. I'm not sure but I think Marvel stopped doing that and you can simply order the variant. I don't know if anyone is taken in by all these numerous #1 issues but apparently there are since most #1's will sell very well, then the comic will make a steep drop as it goes along.
    Marvel, and many publishers, still do this. There are open order variants but lots of ratios still. Immortal Hulk was notorious for expensive ratio variants for awhile. Venom is pretty bad for it now. For example, there is a 1:25 variant for the 3rd print of Venom #25. It is crazy, I mean I lived the 90s and bought all the covers of X-Men and X-Force and ran around trying to find rare versions of Spider-Man #1 as a kid, but never for anything more than cover price and comics were barely more than a dollar back then.

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Believe it or not, a few of us old timers here can think back to our younger days and recall 10 cent comics!

Marvel, and many publishers, still do this. There are open order variants but lots of ratios still. Immortal Hulk was notorious for expensive ratio variants for awhile. Venom is pretty bad for it now. For example, there is a 1:25 variant for the 3rd print of Venom #25. It is crazy, I mean I lived the 90s and bought all the covers of X-Men and X-Force and ran around trying to find rare versions of Spider-Man #1 as a kid, but never for anything more than cover price and comics were barely more than a dollar back then.
    I know what you mean. In my area they didn't always carry the entire line ...maybe for lack of shelf space. Either that or I just didn't see it or something. But I can't recall seeing Marvel Fanfare a lot. I've picked up a few in back issue bins but not many. I know those large Treasury editions were pretty scarce too.