Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    So, I liked a lot of elements of the Odyssey costume but I think this was one of those instances where a simple idea was then over-accessorized to death. The leather jacket, spurs, choker and those puzzling arm bands were just too much for what could have been a decent alt-reality look for Diana.
    WW ODYSSEY FAVE.jpg

The puzzling arm bands were my favorite part of that costume. They're different from all the other bracelets she's worn. On their interior they mix the impossible smallness of the Golden Age bracelets *that make b&b more amazing* but outwardly have the large surface of a gauntlet. The gloves underneath are cool too, which is something the movie bracelets picked up on, but the Odyssey's red around her hands enhances the red of her bodice. The whole red, black and gold color scheme is nice but Donna did it first, which makes it look more like something she would wear.

Still the costume got more Wonder Woman like as the story progressed and she lost the jacket. Though the first time seeing the straps for sleeves was a shock. As bizarre as they were they grew on me after appearing on covers. Stars in the background along with birds and other WW iconography sold it too. All in all it was a good look for an edgier rock & roll Wonder Woman with black eye liner.

As disliked as they are the Biker and the Odyssey costumes both have a firm place in Diana's closet along with Diana Prince's white and compliment her other more patriotic clothes in their uniqueness.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 09-06-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    WW ODYSSEY FAVE.jpg

The puzzling arm bands were my favorite part of that costume. They're different from all the other bracelets she's worn. On their interior they mix the impossible smallness of the Golden Age bracelets *that make b&b more amazing* but outwardly have the large surface of a gauntlet. The gloves underneath are cool too, which is something the movie bracelets picked up on, but the Odyssey's red around her hands enhances the red of her bodice. The whole red, black and gold color scheme is nice but Donna did it first, which makes it look more like something she would wear.

Still the costume got more Wonder Woman like as the story progressed and she lost the jacket. Though the first time seeing the straps for sleeves was a shock. As bizarre as they were they grew on me after appearing on covers. Stars in the background along with birds and other WW iconography sold it too. All in all it was a good look for an edgier rock & roll Wonder Woman with black eye liner.

As disliked as they are the Biker and the Odyssey costumes both have a firm place in Diana's closet along with Diana Prince's white and compliment her other more patriotic clothes in their uniqueness.
    My bad. It was the arm straps I was referring to. They just seem as if they’d be so restrictive in terms of arm movements, or like they could just get snagged on something, lol.

I actually liked the gauntlets and the red gloves underneath and was happy to see a version of it used in the film.

My bad. It was the arm straps I was referring to. They just seem as if they’d be so restrictive in terms of arm movements, or like they could just get snagged on something, lol.

I actually liked the gauntlets and the red gloves underneath and was happy to see a version of it used in the film.
    My issue with the bracelets? Lee made note of how they have w's on them, and how Diana likes to leave her mark when she hits someone.

So one, the issue of Diana liking to "brand" her ememies is horrid. Issue two? The bracelets branding someone when she punches them. One normaly punches with one's fist, not one's wrist. So when one has w's on one's wrists, one cannot punch a w into someone. It's not how it works. And the fact thst Lee and co. didn't have enough interest or wherewithal to figure thst out annoys me to no end. It was more like " ooo..that'll be kickass!" But not thinking it through. And it's also not kickass...lol

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    My issue with the bracelets? Lee made note of how they have w's on them, and how Diana likes to leave her mark when she hits someone.

So one, the issue of Diana liking to "brand" her ememies is horrid. Issue two? The bracelets branding someone when she punches them. One normaly punches with one's fist, not one's wrist. So when one has w's on one's wrists, one cannot punch a w into someone. It's not how it works. And the fact thst Lee and co. didn't have enough interest or wherewithal to figure thst out annoys me to no end. It was more like " ooo..that'll be kickass!" But not thinking it through. And it's also not kickass...lol
    Ugh - I’d forgotten about that. That was a pretty stupid element to add to a character & costume. I think this is usually a problem with a lot of male writers and artists that don’t know how to write a female character. They want to imbue these characters with strength and badassery but really only end up creating violence for violence’s sake.

No worries, I wanted to talk about the bracelets anyway lol wonder if the sleeves or lack thereof have any historical significance? I haven't seen anything else like them.

WW ODYSSEY HOT.jpg

Her head, neck, arms, waist, wrists and ankles are all bound and callback to WW's bondage roots.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 09-07-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

The Finch costume.
    What is this V-jayuna portal? What's it do? Did it ever teleport something? Never made any sense to me...
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    What is this V-jayuna portal? What's it do? Did it ever teleport something? Never made any sense to me...
    Anytime those boots are made thigh high, they scream stripper boots. The bracelet swords, the black scuba suit under it all, and the afore- mentioned, um " portal". Ew ew ew ew ew....all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post

Yeah, not sure how that's supposed to work with the branding via bracelets. Doesn't seem to line up with the action.

Good to see that Batman got to use it in BATMANvSUPERMAN.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I... I like the Justice Lord WW and Chiang WW outfits. Am I pleb ? Justice Lord WW looks like a “Karen” to me which is perfect for Evil WW imo. Injustice, Miller, and 90s WW designs are godawful though, no arguments there.

For my own input, not really fond of the Odyssey design

It’s just too “pedestrian” for me. I wouldn’t mind it as “streetwear” or “civilian clothes” for Diana, but as an official costume it’s just bland.
    Minus the jacket and tiara, I always thought this would have made an excellent costume for Donna.
    As far as worst goes...to me, nothing touches (no should it want to touch) the Finch costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No worries, I wanted to talk about the bracelets anyway lol wonder if the sleeves or lack thereof have any historical significance? I haven't seen anything else like them.

WW ODYSSEY HOT.jpg

Her head, neck, arms, waist, wrists and ankles are all bound and callback to WW's bondage roots.
    An offshoot of the greco-roman sandal strap detail. It has come up in other designs.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 09-12-2020 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I actually really like the costumes that some people hate. Maybe it's the context of when they came out. The Bob Oksner Wonder Woman is my favourite. The Mike Deodato Black Canary Wonder Woman looks cool.

And as for the Cathy Lee Crosby outfit--I saw that when the T.V. movie was first aired and I was just happy to see a Wonder Woman. Remember that the costume-less mod Diana Prince had ended just before this and they were still working out what to do with Wonder Woman in the comics. The T.V. show had to figure out a Wonder Woman for the 1970s, with little to guide them--so they compromised between mod Diana Prince and traditional Wonder Woman. Seems to me she could have walked down the street in the U.S. at the time and never gotten a second look--Americans were dressing in these patriotic outfits in advance of the Bicentennial, on shows like UP WITH PEOPLE, and you had Evel Knievel.

Carol Strickland has singled out the "screaming chicken" armour for derision and I have to concur. That outfit is a bit too much. Diana is wearing a similar outfit in the trailer for WONDER WOMAN 1984, but that one is not the eyesore that we saw in the comics.

This inherits the Hawkman peeves for me. I hate anything where the wings articulate FOR NO REASON. Add to that the fact of her natural flight powers and it is doubly annoying

Astonishing Member

No love for the second Jim Lee outfit created for the new 52? I loved the version with pants and silver armor. I don't why fans got up in arms and demanded she wear short-shorts again. Not all change is bad!

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    No love for the second Jim Lee outfit created for the new 52? I loved the version with pants and silver armor. I don't why fans got up in arms and demanded she wear short-shorts again. Not all change is bad!
    It is when it comes to Wonder Woman and pants. They're fine for Donna or Cassie who are more modern, but as a classically trained warrior Wonder Woman's just not a pants type of superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    An offshoot of the greco-roman sandal strap detail. It has come up in other designs.
    Yeah but I was talking specifically about sleeves. I've never seen a similar design anywhere, but there's nothing new under the sun so it has to have been done before.

Being a classically trained warrior and wearing pants aren't mutually exclusive. The real life people the Amazons were based on wore pants. If Donna, who received the same training as Diana, can wear pants, so can Diana.