Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Just finished. There were some tiny wonky parts here and there with the art, but overall I agree with everyone else, what a great issue! The story, the characters, and the art really came together in this issue. Again, the relevance of masked masses of people going into the streets committing violence in the name of safety, that hits close to home. Peter struggling with his mix of doubt, guilt, and responsibility in the midst of competing moralities spoke volumes. If we look at our world today, does something like Peter Parker's morality still have meaning?.....Honestly, I still feel like it does. I'm just not sure that others do.

And that's leads to the next part of the issue, this order of the web. The conversations with all of the other characters were excellent. Seeing Pete try to understand what Gwen would have wanted from another Gwen would have only worked in comics! And Spider-Gwen's response complicates this idea that old Gwen was the helpless, immaculate victim. Great stuff!

Thinking it over though, seriously, none of the others in this Order of the Web agree with Peter's decision? Am I reading this wrong or what? Certainly deserves another read through.

Anyway, a great set up for next issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    And that's leads to the next part of the issue, this order of the web. The conversations with all of the other characters were excellent. Seeing Pete try to understand what Gwen would have wanted from another Gwen would have only worked in comics! And Spider-Gwen's response complicates this idea that old Gwen was the helpless, immaculate victim. Great stuff!
    I get where Gwen was coming from but it still didn't feel quite accurate in pertaining to 616 Gwen and the situation...but admittedly she's biased coming from her own more assertive and independent perspective and that the closest thing she met to 616 Gwen was still different from the genuine article.

The fact that 616 Gwen was far from perfect was definitely on-point though.
    Thinking it over though, seriously, none of the others in this Order of the Web agree with Peter's decision? Am I reading this wrong or what? Certainly deserves another read through.
    I feel like Miles would, in the end, which is why I'm kind of wondering if they're going to flip what Peter is doing and he's not actually trying to save Obsorn so they don't come off as trying to really advocate for him to kill.

And why is Anya all "we should've beaten him up?" I could believe that from Cindy, but it seemed kind of random. Then again Peter hasn't interacted with her in years so maybe she's just antsy around him.

For me this was a 10 out of 10 but i wish we got Jessica's and Anya's conversations and have Kaine and Ben also there as well.

I do wonder what his reaction is going to be when the Order appears to try to stop him.

who the **** could possibly be behind that vault just tell me skmsmsmsmdmdndndjdjdjdjdjdj

peter is too blinded by his love for normie's hair to be reasonable
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

I loved the issue. The Spider-Verse stuff felt surprising for its inclusion, it's strange how Spencer alluded to "Death of Spider-Man". Didn't expect that. It's like Ultimate Spider-Man continuity is now canon to 616 via Miles and can be alluded directly.

What I love most in this issue. Well Payback.

This direct allusion to the first encounter between Spider-Man and Norman.

ASM 48(V5) Peter Punches Norman.jpg

ASM # 37 - Ditko-Osborn 1.jpg

As "Web-Wielding Avenger" would say on tumblr: Spider-Symmetry.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I get where Gwen was coming from but it still didn't feel quite accurate in pertaining to 616 Gwen and the situation...but admittedly she's biased coming from her own more assertive and independent perspective and that the closest thing she met to 616 Gwen was still different from the genuine article.

The fact that 616 Gwen was far from perfect was definitely on-point though.

I feel like Miles would, in the end, which is why I'm kind of wondering if they're going to flip what Peter is doing and he's not actually trying to save Obsorn so they don't come off as trying to really advocate for him to kill.

And why is Anya all "we should've beaten him up?" I could believe that from Cindy, but it seemed kind of random. Then again Peter hasn't interacted with her in years so maybe she's just antsy around him.
    This is revisionist history ( just like the Gwen series). I never liked the character assassination that was Sins Past and I do not like Saint Gwen either. You cannot equate Ghost Spider Gwen of 2020 with Original Gwen of the 60’s and 70’s. What you can use for comparisons are the original comics ( like her treatment of Aunt May ( this is from someone who defended Gwen from the Sam Bullett issues)). As far as Osborn is concerned the complaints about Peter are a cheap shot. No one ( except Gwen and Harry) suffered because of Osborn like Peter, yet he tries to do the right thing. He is not Frank Castle ( let alone Sin Eater), or other comic book heroes who have forgotten their humanity. Peter almost without exception tries to do the right thing and not use his powers for vengeance and retribution ( Wilson Fisk attacking Aunt May being one of those exceptions). I suspect when this is all over, we will learn Peter is being tested ( and he will pass), and OMD will come to an end.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 09-10-2020 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    who the **** could possibly be behind that vault just tell me skmsmsmsmdmdndndjdjdjdjdjdj

peter is too blinded by his love for normie's hair to be reasonable
    He's rushed off to save Norman's life more often recently than MJ's.

Astonishing Member

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the other spiders here. It really enrages me when they say they have to stop Spider-Man.

Look, I understand their point of view. Really, I do! This is as if there would be a perfect chance for Batman to get rid of the Joker for ever, and still, he would save that maniac anyway. Nothing would make me happier than seeing Norman Osborn literally cut in half, the long way. But the others spiders are clearly not seeing the whole picture here, unlike Spider-Man.

This is, in many ways, Spider-Island all over. At first, people are happy with the fact that they are stronger, faster and can cling the walls. But the problems don't wait for long when ANYBODY (either good or bad people) get the powers. Then, of course, it comes the time when people start to grow extra limbs and being mind controlled by a psycho-queen. That's when the dream suddenly turns into a nightmare. The Sin-Eater is doing a similar situation. Sure, you might think it's great to see someone turning dangerous villains into harmless "pussycats", and also take away their powers. But just look the disaster he caused later! Hundreds of people start to act like judge, jury and executioner with everybody, even with the minor "sins". And worst of all, the Sin-Eaters took the powers of the supervillains for himself, which makes him much more dangerous than before. Let's check his new abilities: He has the powers of the Count Nefaria (who could be like en evil Superman), the petrifying touch of the Grey Gargoyle, the energy power of the Living Laser, and the speed of Whirlwind. Now, let's suppose he would also take the strength (and surely, the madness) of Norman Osborn as the Green Goblin. Someone as nutso as Norman Osborn and with all that power.... Don't they see how catastrophical that is?

Besides, who are they really kidding? Even if by any miracle, Norman Osborn is "cured", we all know he won't be away of his "true nature" for long. Just look at AXIS. It would have been great to keep all the villains inverted, but the universe needed to "restore the balance".

So, how can the other spiders not realize all these points? I'm pretty sure Spider-Man realize them, unconsciously. Spider-Man is the very first one who would be happy the world would be get ridden of Norman Osborn, but the actions of the Sin-Eaters hide something clearly more sinister than anything Norman could have ever plotted. So, even if Peter knows saving Norman is the worst thing he has been forced to do, he knows he can allow the Sin-Eater to get his way. is that so difficult to understand?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the other spiders here. It really enrages me when they say they have to stop Spider-Man.

Look, I understand their point of view. Really, I do! This is as if there would be a perfect chance for Batman to get rid of the Joker for ever, and still, he would save that maniac anyway. Nothing would make me happier than seeing Norman Osborn literally cut in half, the long way. But the others spiders are clearly not seeing the whole picture here, unlike Spider-Man.
    They might be under some influence from Kindred from #44f_s6-aaxTqUSXJOe-twQ7oL5AMbu9-OjkiZYalkTa0jJItox644wL3p-yEGcyXdpeEcunDphidQZJ06a1wuzCpRTdGHharJY.jpg.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by flint marko View Post
    Possibly, I won't deny it. That would explain why they look as monsters in several covers.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So I'm thinking the other Spidersbgot infected. Sin Eater is literally cleansing criminals of their sins, and i have to imagine those "sins" are getting transferred somewhere. And with the Spiders literally playing the tole of the Devil in Peter's ear, trying to convince him to let Norman fry, i'm thinking this is the case here. Because honestly it is OOC for them to take this hard of a stance against Pete hete.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    So I'm thinking the other Spidersbgot infected. Sin Eater is literally cleansing criminals of their sins, and i have to imagine those "sins" are getting transferred somewhere. And with the Spiders literally playing the tole of the Devil in Peter's ear, trying to convince him to let Norman fry, i'm thinking this is the case here. Because honestly it is OOC for them to take this hard of a stance against Pete hete.
    This goes back to what I said before this is a test for Peter. I do not think any of the “Order of the Web” characters is actually who they say they are. I also think one of them ( likely Ghost Spider) is actually Kindred. Why else would the thoughts of original Gwen play such a large role ( except to try and get Peter to kill Osborn ( unlike what he did in ASM 122)). Why test Peter? Think back to Mephisto and the Beyonder and Peter being Beyonder’s choice of a hero. I am of the opinion he will pass and we can say adios to OMD.

Yeah, I can't see them all caring so much about Peter trying to save Osborn.

Jessica and Madame Web shouldn't care, but Miles, Anya, Cindy and Gwen have been affected by the Green Goblin in some form.

Miles it was Ultimate Peter's death, the mother of Anya's friend Rocky was killed by one of Green Goblin attacks in Manhattan, members of the Goblin Nation that Phil Urich took over kidnapped Cindy's brother and she was turned into a Goblin by Phil, and Gwen's Harry from Earth-65 became that worlds Green Goblin.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Pattern_Maker;5138899]Jessica and Madame Web shouldn't care, but Miles, Anya, Cindy and Gwen have been affected by the Green Goblin in some form.

Miles it was Ultimate Peter's death, the mother of Anya's friend Rocky was killed by one of Green Goblin attacks in Manhattan, members of the Goblin Nation that Phil Urich took over kidnapped Cindy's brother and she was turned into a Goblin by Phil, and Gwen's Harry from Earth-65 became that worlds Green Goblin.[/QUOTE
    Everyone who knows anything about Spider-Man knows Norman is no good, but Sin Eater is certainly not Mother Theresa either. There is no question that unless every Spider ( except Peter) is brainwashed this story is not what it seems. I would also go back to Osborn bringing up Gwen. As bad as he is that is not his style. It is almost like he was taunting Peter into killing him. Which goes back to my theory this is nothing more then a test of Peter to see if he would break and kill Norman or let Sin Eater do it? Or would he be the hero and save him despite knowing when he saved Osborn before , Gwen died? The answer is he is the hero even if he pays a price for it. My prediction still stands he will be rewarded and this will be the end of OMD.